[How To] Keep your current Windows install with a new motherboard.

Very useful thanks!

Edit: Sticky please!!!

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

so at what point do you install your new mobo

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I would just clean install personally as its quite nice to start fresh every now and then, you be surprised how much it quickens up a pc.

Also would love to see if this program can handle going from intel to amd or vice versa.

Can't you just make a backup and then once you've changed the motherboard you can just use the backup you created. So you don't need to start your W7 from scratch. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Can't you just make a backup and then once you've changed the motherboard you can just use the backup you created. So you don't need to start your W7 from scratch.

Many time you can just boot especially if its replacing intel for intel or the like, youll just have to uninstall some drivers and install new ones. Win7 and Win8 have gotten really good at this sort of thing, I still recommend doing a clean install if you are doing a new build or swapping a major component like the MB.

Also would love to see if this program can handle going from intel to amd or vice versa.

It does handle going from Amd to Intel and the other way around. It's just the easiest way when changing any major hardware.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Or you call microsoft claiming that you had to change your mobo, and they'll reset your key.

Yeah but the Windows product key has nothing to do with the drivers that stop the OS from booting because of a new motherboard..

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

It does handle going from Amd to Intel and the other way around. It's just the easiest way when changing any major hardware.

Totally forgot to post a thank you! Saw this yesterday but didn't write that. When I upgrade from my Q8400 to the FX-8320, this will be very useful.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Perfect timing. I will need to do this next week when the Gigabyte is dumped in favor for the Sabertooth.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Many time you can just boot especially if its replacing intel for intel or the like, youll just have to uninstall some drivers and install new ones. Win7 and Win8 have gotten really good at this sort of thing, I still recommend doing a clean install if you are doing a new build or swapping a major component like the MB.

When you say uninstall some drivers, is that just motherboard driver or drivers for everything?

I'm looking at replacing a gigabyte z87 d3hp with an asus Maximus vi formula, both are intel z87 chipset. I want keep all the same hardware, but don't know if I need to reinstall windows 8 (i have windows 8 pro oem)

@ttam will this work with a bootable USB as well? Or must it be a CD?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

@ttam will this work with a bootable USB as well? Or must it be a CD?

Should work no problem from a USB, even if you're using it as a drag and drop iso for something like a multi-boot grubdos usb stick. I still use it on a disc because I give enough read/writes to a USB in 4 months to completely break USB's for work lol

Thank you for this.

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

Worked perfectly. You saved me a lot of hassle. 

:)  :D  :D

Nothing to see here - move along.

install windows 8 then grab that hard drive or ssd and try to boot it in another computer. you will be able to boot just fine, even if u install in an amd platform and try to boot in an intel platform. no need for all this trouble unless u are using an old OS.

• 1 month later...

install windows 8 then grab that hard drive or ssd and try to boot it in another computer. you will be able to boot just fine, even if u install in an amd platform and try to boot in an intel platform. no need for all this trouble unless u are using an old OS.

Very rarely that will work. I would say it's 1 in 10,000. 

Very rarely that will work. I would say it's 1 in 10,000.

well I tried and it worked 1st boot it booed and then in the second boot it worked just fine. And u will be surprised if I told u that I moved that ssd from and AMD laptop to another and desktop and now it's running in a q9450 intel machine. I know that in older versions of windows it was not possible to change boards without a fresh install. But maybe it's a new windows 8 feature...