Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

What EXACTLY did Huawei do?

13 hours ago, wasab said:

Ahem. Facebook, Google, Twitter, ect are banned in China, sometimes for censorship, sometimes unfairly to protect it's own domestic bussiness. 

They didn't had much momentum there and the ban didn't cripple their business, I mean the ARM thing is completely overkill

I heard the CEO of huawei told trump his hair looked like elvis's cat died on his head.   It hasn't gone well for them since.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

13 hours ago, Andresteare said:

They didn't had much momentum there and the ban didn't cripple their business, I mean the ARM thing is completely overkill

How did the Google ban not cripple their bussiness. Their search engine market share in China went from 12-20% all the way down to 0%. Their maps, drives, play store are all banned too. China is the largest market for smartphones and apps, that will deeply cut into their revenues. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

China is the largest market for smartphones and apps, that will deeply cut into their revenues. 

Considering Android is practically given away and Google's actual hardware market share isn't really that big, I'm sure they can afford to cut ties with China.

EDIT: Also something like 70%+ of Google's revenue come from ads. Not sure if China significantly contributes to that.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Considering Android is practically given away and Google's actual hardware market share isn't really that big, I'm sure they can afford to cut ties with China.

EDIT: Also something like 70%+ of Google's revenue come from ads. Not sure if China significantly contributes to that.

There is no Google play store in Chinese phones. This is like apples banned from including app store on their iPhones and must use a Chinese made app market. How does this not cut into their revenues?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

22 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

China is more of a potential growth opportunity than an existing market (with a total revenue of some 136 billion, China is about 2.2%, although the actual revenue may be variably higher depending on how much they got paid for stuff like Project Dragonfly etc, which probably aren't itemized for PR reasons).

On 5/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, TheBritishVillain said:

I know that Huawei has been banned in the US. I remember seeing a video that they were 'spying' on US citizens.

I don't want to know the other details about the ban, android etc... I just want to know exactly what they have alleged to have done and why it is so bad?

Also, why only the US?

Basally from what I have read. China implemented a law saying Chinese companies needed to help their intelligence services when asked. US intelligence took this as a National Security Threat. Secondly I believe Huawei has also been accused of violating several US companies IP's and to be honest they are not the only Chinese company accused of doing this. Then you couple this with trade war the US and China are currently in. So it is what it is. Mostly I think this ban is about the trade war and forcing China to give up concessions to the US. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

I am stunned by the level of misinformation displayed in this thread. Huawei has a long documented history of IP theft. Just Google it.

-kp

5 hours ago, thorhammerz said:

China is more of a potential growth opportunity than an existing market (with a total revenue of some 136 billion, China is about 2.2%, although the actual revenue may be variably higher depending on how much they got paid for stuff like Project Dragonfly etc, which probably aren't itemized for PR reasons).

They dont get paid for that. I see no reason why Chinese would pay them to make something like dragonfly when they already have the great firewall to rely on. 

Also, if ad revenue is based on total of views/clicks then they would depend on the total number of internet users which would be their customer base. china(with over 700 million internet users) would be a huge market for Google to lose out on if they are banned. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Also, if ad revenue is based on total of views/clicks then they would depend on the total number of internet users which would be their customer base.

china(with over 700 million internet users)

A customer base is not the same thing as the total addressable market - a customer base is the portion ("their slice of pie", if you will) that does business with Google. They are also nowhere near the top in market share in China.

would be a huge market for Google to lose out on if they are banned. 

Hence the term "growth opportunity" - they do not currently have a very large slice, but by nature of the pie being extremely large they envision growing said small slice into a not-so-small slice ;).