Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

What EXACTLY did Huawei do?

2 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

What they did is that they are making a lot of money and US is falling back behind China in terms of economy and that by a very large margin. It has nothing to do with spying. Everybody's spying.

Cultural differences have come to the foreground, the morality, and from that, the policy differences between two competing national ideals have become the discord between the two nations.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

2 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Cultural differences have come to the foreground, the morality, and from that, the policy differences between two competing national ideals have become the discord between the two nations.

it has nothing to do with cultures my friend. Nor nations nor ideals. It's just about money and power. It would be the same with any other country from anywhere in the world if they were in the position of China.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:26 PM, Settlerteo said:

it has nothing to do with cultures my friend. Nor nations nor ideals. It's just about money and power. It would be the same with any other country from anywhere in the world if they were in the position of China.

Governments (even the Chinese) promote capitalism for the good of the nation. Trump especially (Regan too) was elected to bring about law changes that would favour businesses, particularly American interests, that would enable them to make more profit.

In trickle-down economics, if businesses are empowered to make money they employ more people and the more people that are employed, benefits the entire nation's cultural identity (it is what is termed, funding the national interest).

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

2 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

-

I get what you're saying but I don't see how that justifies a market ban.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I love how the US spies on everyone more than anyone else, but they keep pointing their finger at China.

But a complete ban is just plain stupid. It would be funny to see China ban some American company, just for jokes.

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

" law changes that would favour businesses, particularly American interests, "

yep corporate welfare and some still are basically carking it.

" In trickle-down economics, if businesses are empowered to make money they employ more people and the more people that are employed, "

this only works if your not paying slave wages, or should i say wages that dont match the requirements of the workers to actually live and have excess to spend.

" benefits the entire nation's cultural identity (it is what is termed, funding the national interest). "

not so sure about this.....

I mean America had a civil war supposedly about slaves, and the declared winner was the union, but they if have changed from having black only slaves to having slaves of every creed (including lower class whites) wouldnt that then mean the confederates actually one.

current main system:

motherboard : AMD FX4130 Quad-Core 3.8Ghz

ram : 8Gig

Video Card : Nvidea Geforce GTX 650

Monitor: 17" LCD X-black Sony

Desperately needs an updated system :(

Huawei probably could of gotten around the Google problem with their own OS, but the chipsets ban is a severe blow

current main system:

motherboard : AMD FX4130 Quad-Core 3.8Ghz

ram : 8Gig

Video Card : Nvidea Geforce GTX 650

Monitor: 17" LCD X-black Sony

Desperately needs an updated system :(

41 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

What is to stop china from saying. Hay yeah, we are going to have to have you place bug on these phones your making for X that are being shipped to the US.

China has no authority over Taiwanese companies. Taiwan is independent from China. It's like asking if Kim Jong Un can tell Samsung to put backdoors in their hardware

@SydneySideSteveSomewheres You can't ignore the basic facts of 5G and it's data harvesting side affects. That's the real issue here, and you didn't even touch on it.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

I love how the US spies on everyone more than anyone else, but they keep pointing their finger at China.

But a complete ban is just plain stupid. It would be funny to see China ban some American company, just for jokes.

Uh...that makes no sense. Obviously every company wants to reduce the amount of spying, and keep it at a bare minimum. You do that by not allowing China access to most mobile data in your country (5G towers). It makes perfect sense, if you think about it logically, with risk mitigation in mind.

It'd be interesting if China stopped it's heavy metal exports, as they did with Japan. The US's tech giants would grind to a halt awfully fast.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

34 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I don't think you get what I'm getting at.

Most phones are made in china, the parts might not be but the phones are.

China could tell X plant in china to slip malware or a bug into the phone, not the chips that are being made in say Taiwan or Korea

Most manufacturing firms are owned by Taiwanese companies. So the only way for that to actually happen is for a bad agent to slip into them and do it themselves because the company sure as hell isn't going to condone it (unless there's a plot twist)

20 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Almost all large companies in China have at least some connection to the CCP

All Chinese company's are in some way or form controlled by the goverment

Let's agree to disagree

27 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

All Chinese company's are in some way or form controlled by the  a goverment

fixed that for you!

The unanimous Declaration of the penguins independance

when in the Course of technological events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all computers are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are security and customizability . — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Operating System becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Operating System, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their security and customizability. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Operating Systems long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Operating systems, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of control. The history of microsoft windows is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these pc's. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Microsoft has refused there Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Microsoft has forbidden there users to pass patches of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till there Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, they have utterly neglected to attend to them.

Microsoft has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

Microsoft has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with there measures.

Microsoft has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

Microsoft has endeavoured to prevent the compitition to windows; for that purpose obstructing the The furthurment of technology; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of pcs.

Microsoft has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing there Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers..

Microsoft has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Microsoft has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving there Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

Microsoft has abdicated Government Microsoft, by declaring us out of there Protection and waging War against us.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our human brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement Microsoft. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the penguins of linux, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent Operating System, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Microsoft Emporer, and that all political connection between them and the Operating system windows, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Operating System, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent Operating Systems may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

12 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

I fail to see how the Chinese Gov. can't just walk in and say you have to do X or your out of here. If they can do it with a Chinese company why can't they do it with a Taiwanese plant in china.

Then they would lose that huge workforce. TSMC for example, would literally pull the plant out, move it back to Taiwan or to India or some other country with similar wages to China.

TSMC won't risk those global contracts for companies like AMD and others.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

6 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

True. But I'm sure they could pull it off and get away with it.

To many company's rely on china for manufacturing and losing their plants in china would be a hard blow to recover form. I'm sure they could get away with pushing around smaller manufacturing company's. But not someone who makes phones for say Samsung.

Those small fry companies usually contract the bigwigs for their manufacturing.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Uh...that makes no sense. Obviously every company wants to reduce the amount of spying, and keep it at a bare minimum. You do that by not allowing China access to most mobile data in your country (5G towers). It makes perfect sense, if you think about it logically, with risk mitigation in mind.

It'd be interesting if China stopped it's heavy metal exports, as they did with Japan. The US's tech giants would grind to a halt awfully fast.

And you completely missed my point... which was that the US spies on people just like China does.

Primary Desktop PC: Intel® Xeon® X5675 @ 4.62 GHz 1.4V || NZXT HAVIK 140 & Noctua NA-SRC10 || ASUS P6X58-E WS || Crucial DDR3-1606 8-11-11-28 (2x4GB) || ASUS STRIX GTX 770 || Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD || WD Green 1TB 3.5" HDD (7.2K RPM) || Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) || Corsair AX860i & White CableMod ModFlex™ Cables || Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Browns) || Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Logitech G27 Racing Wheel || Samsung 23.6" 1080p 60Hz PLS (OC'd to 75Hz) || CPU-Z Validation

37 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

And you completely missed my point... which was that the US spies on people just like China does.

Just like everyone else in the world. What you're not getting is that of course the US is going to do all it can to protect itself, and by proxy, those it communicates/deals with on a security level (5 eyes).

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, r2724r16 said:

The difference is when the government makes a request to companies. US companies can refuse a request of the government without the government making it harder to do business within it. Nothing significant, or at least public, came against Apple for refusing the FBI's request to remove the "self destruct" feature of the iPhone if too many wrong guesses were made to unlock it.

The allegation is that companies operating in China will comply with government requests, otherwise the government will make sure the company has a hard time doing business in the country.

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

@SydneySideSteveSomewheres You can't ignore the basic facts of 5G and it's data harvesting side affects. That's the real issue here, and you didn't even touch on it.

Yes, that is correct it would have added another two hundred words, though…lol (I added a link to the Maotai program, aka Google’s Dragonfly project  -link also here- ).

The issue of the tracking of an internet user within China is that it is somewhat acceptable for the government to do what we (Westerners) would call an invasion of privacy. Chinese believe that it is the lack of privacy that they have to have. As it provides the national security that their citizenry needs within the current expansion of the middle classes and the sanctuary, they desire for their children’s future security in an expanding nation-state. They believe that they are on the brink of an internal war and the likes of the dystopian retrograde written about in George Orwell’s "Nineteen-eighty-four" (“170 million CCTV cameras across the country” and “China's social credit system…”), will stop the internal dissent and help the resurrection of a Great China.

A hypothetical issue of having an outside company (non-US) building what is being touted as the IoT 5G network, could be in how a company without morality could brick pieces of the infrastructure one month after the warranty ends. Causing firstly, a US reseller to need to argue the cause and bear the brunt of the cost of defending it in the US legal system (like Porsche defending VW’s diesel lean burn software). Secondly, the cost of component replacement would make more money for the non-US manufacturer, leaching money from the US economy, devaluing the US national spending power in the global economy (the National Security debate).

https://www.c-span.org/video/?461027-1/president-trump-announces-16-billion-aid-package-farmers-ranchers

00:40:42   Donald J. Trump

But you know what? That help is a very temporary help because they'll pay it back a hundred times over - they will - with what they do, with the importance of what they do.But Huawei is something that's very dangerous. You look at what they've done from a security standpoint, from a military standpoint. It's very dangerous. So it's possible that Huawei even would be included in some kind of a trade deal. If we made a deal, I could imagine Huawei being possibly included in some form of or some part of a trade deal.

00:41:17   Q

The Huawei part, how would you design that?

00:41:20   Donald J. Trump

Oh, it's too early to say. But, I mean, we're just very concerned about Huawei, from a security standpoint right now.

Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz - Gigabyte 1070 - Samsung 860 EVO - 16GB DDR3

7 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The difference is when the government makes a request to companies. US companies can refuse a request of the government without the government making it harder to do business within it. Nothing significant, or at least public, came against Apple for refusing the FBI's request to remove the "self destruct" feature of the iPhone if too many wrong guesses were made to unlock it.

The allegation is that companies operating in China will comply with government requests, otherwise the government will make sure the company has a hard time doing business in the country.

Or when they were called to a closed session Apple just handed them the contact details of their ‘man’ at NSO Group Technologies who found the iPhone hacking loophole. Proving at the same time to the Senate inquiry that they do have transparency and asking the inquiry for the time Apple needed to close the faulty code before it became public knowledge. It is a two-way-street when dealing with companies who abide by and structure their businesses around internal US laws and policy guidelines.

Links:

NSO Group Technologies

Apple to close iPhone hacking loophole...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

Posted (edited)

“What did Huawei do” ... start a technology ‘Cold War’ (at 00:52) ?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the-business/2019-05-23/a-defiant-huawei-australia-hits-back-at-trumps-ban/11144440?jwsource=cl

Podcast for those who just listen (same time stamp)?

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-business/id336912548?i=1000438959259

Edited by SydneySideSteveSomewheres
added podcast link

On 5/23/2019 at 10:05 PM, TheBritishVillain said:

Thanks for all the post so far, however from my understanding on the basis of all the posts, they only thing they done is... be Chinese?

I still don't understand. The UK has since banned them too. Sure, these superpower countries don't want people's data to get 'viewed' by China for whatever purpose. I get that... But i imagine there are tons of Chinese tech companies that have a similar relationship with similar data. Hell, I bet there even other smaller Chinese phone brands that haven't had their Android status stripped and the ability to trade with anyone in the US.

It doesn't make sense imo.

They introduced competition. That's it.

Also 'these superpower countries'. Which one do you mean?

The only superpower that banned Huawei is US. All the rest that participated in banning are not superpowers.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X Motherboard: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.