PCI-E lane help for raid 0

officedemon
Go to solution Solved by officedemon,

since i don't have any PCI 2.0 slots at 8x or 16x  looks like i have no choice but to put the PCI-E card in the slot #4 

thanks all. i guess i'll upgrade when Ryzen 3000 comes out

i just got a second MP510 NVMe ssd and i have a SilverStone pci-e x4 adapter card but i don't know what pci-e slot to correct it too i am trying to figure out the best configuration for my raid 0 set up on my Asus Crosshair VI hero motherboard (x370 and bios 6401)
(computer specs below)

should i put the adapter card in the PCI-E 3.0 making my video card run at x8? or can i use the pci-e 2.0 slot (slot#6) for raid 0? 

also as i understand it one MP510 will run at over 3 Gigabits a second read and write and raid 0 will "double" that speed, will pci-e 2.0 handle that speed?

mother board PCI lanes
1    pci-e 2.0 x1 (empty)
2    pci-e 3.0 x16/8 (1080ti)
3    pci-e 2.0 x1 (empty)
4    pci-e 3.0 x8 (empty)
5    pci-e 2.0 x1 (empty)
6    pci-e 2.0 x4 

custom CPU loop 360mm x 360mm
CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X 8c/16t (OC to 4150 Mhz)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero (x370) (BIOS 6401)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200mHz 8GBx2 14-14-14-34 1.35v

GPU: Evga 1080 TI hybrid GPU clock 2000MHz (11GB GDDR5X) 
240Hz monitor

NVMe Cosair MP510 3480MB/s Read 3000MB/s Write speed
(SilverStone PCI-E Adapter card ECM20)

M.2-SSD: WD Blue 500GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB
CASE: Thermaltake core v71 (4 of 4 200mm case fans)
Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray
PSU: 1200W Rosewill Quark

Is this a boot or storage drive in your system?

If you want faster sequentical speeds, you need to put it in the pcie 3 slot as the chipset is pcie 2 only, and you will get sequentical speeds that are about the same. Random io will be better though.

Id also personally just not bother with raid, the speed difference is tiny

i'd like to use it for my boot drive and my games, how is the speed difference tiny? 

14 minutes ago, officedemon said:

i'd like to use it for my boot drive and my games, how is the speed difference tiny? 

raid 0 just really doesn't matter for those uses. Id just get a single bigger drive, or use the separately, one for games and one for boot. just not worth the hassle of raid here.

Right! ☝️ In reality, there is no substantial gain when it comes to gaming because after all, a video game is a type of application that loads all the files you need at once, and then it does not access the storage device again until you restart. An improvement in your gaming experience does not depend on the storage system so it does not matter if you use an HDD or if you use an NVMe PCIe SSD (Or RAID), your video games will improve the graphics with a better GPU, CPU, RAM and obviously a capable monitor to be able to handle all the data it receives without lagging. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

13 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Right! ☝️ In reality, there is no substantial gain when it comes to gaming because after all, a video game is a type of application that loads all the files you need at once, and then it does not access the storage device again until you restart. An improvement in your gaming experience does not depend on the storage system so it does not matter if you use an HDD or if you use an NVMe PCIe SSD (Or RAID), your video games will improve the graphics with a better GPU, CPU, RAM and obviously a capable monitor to be able to handle all the data it receives without lagging. 

so would you agree to put the PCI card in the 3.0 slot? and have my video card run at 8x speed?

12 hours ago, officedemon said:

so would you agree to put the PCI card in the 3.0 slot? and have my video card run at 8x speed?

Everything depends on the application or the video game because it may or may not notice any difference at all between one or the other. It is said that the difference is marginal, that is, it is null and many people do not notice the difference or some see just a% 1 when doing benchmarking. Whether you will see lower performance with x8 versus x16 is going to highly depend on the application. Some may see a difference, others won't. I would say that if you are using a high end video card like the GTX 1080, it is probably a good idea to try to use a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot because the higher the load of the card(s) - either through a higher resolution in games or a large number of accelerated effects in professional applications - the higher the chance of there being a difference in performance.

If you want to check more in detail de transfer rates check the standard protocol in Wikipedia:

As you can see in the Wikipedia chart, under Throughput, the performance of PCIe 2.0 is doubled by PCIe 3.0, which means that the best way to try to take advantage of the GPU and the new NVMe SSD is to leave the GPU in the x16 slot and use the SSD M.2 on a PCIe 2.0 slot of x8 or x16 lanes because it will give you the same result as the one that the M.2 requires which is a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 slot.

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

since i don't have any PCI 2.0 slots at 8x or 16x  looks like i have no choice but to put the PCI-E card in the slot #4 

thanks all. i guess i'll upgrade when Ryzen 3000 comes out

• 2 weeks later...

You are welcome and just post again if you need more help!