Good FPS in Apex Legends But Low FPS in Dota 2

Go to solution Solved by RenaKry,

This is a stopgap solution, but you may want to consider using ThrottleStop to prevent your CPU from throttling if it is, and set the Windows power plan to High Performance if you have not tried it already. Typically, when a HyperThreaded CPU is topping out at 50%, the software in question is skipping every other thread to make use of the entire core. But, evidently, your problem lies in the irregular conservative clock speeds, which is why I recommend ThrottleStop. You may also want to tell us what motherboard you are using so we can identify if it is a power delivery issue.

I have performance issues in Dota 2. I have an Intel Core i3-3220, a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5, and a HyperX 8GB 1866mhz memory. I can run Apex Legends on 1080p low and it can maximize CPU and GPU at around 100%. However, Dota 2 only uses below 50% CPU and GPU usage and is giving me very poor performance. How can I improve my performance in this game?

60628380_2327751093949147_6942299663110242304_n.thumb.jpg.b4674f760e7f167fb99695f9c348b498.jpg

Dota 2 in 1080p High with 15fps

60801206_613542949146071_8426666379519721472_n.thumb.jpg.0ffe2913a373d7722bc65c57815538fc.jpg

Apex Legends in 720p low with constant 60fps.

My main issue here is that why is Dota 2 not using the full power of the CPU and GPU? I can understand why Apex Legends is so hard to run, but at least it is using a lot of the resources.

Your cpu is at 1.6ghz in dota, that could be causing the issue.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

4 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

Your cpu is at 1.6ghz in dota, that could be causing the issue.

I hadn't noticed that. I also don't quite understand that. Could you please elaborate?

Just now, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

I hadn't noticed that. I also don't quite understand that. Could you please elaborate?

Your cpu is running at 1.6GHZ in the dota 2 screenshot, which is much lower then in the apex legends one. That could be holding back your fps.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Just now, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

It means that your CPU is running slower. Higher GHz = Better performance in most cases. I don't know how to fix this issue but I hope this sets you on the right path.

This is a stopgap solution, but you may want to consider using ThrottleStop to prevent your CPU from throttling if it is, and set the Windows power plan to High Performance if you have not tried it already. Typically, when a HyperThreaded CPU is topping out at 50%, the software in question is skipping every other thread to make use of the entire core. But, evidently, your problem lies in the irregular conservative clock speeds, which is why I recommend ThrottleStop. You may also want to tell us what motherboard you are using so we can identify if it is a power delivery issue.

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

It means that your CPU is running slower. Higher GHz = Better performance in most cases. I don't know how to fix this issue but I hope this sets you on the right path.

Okay, thank you for the reply!

1 minute ago, nelsonpong said:

I will try to use ThrottleStop. Thanks for the suggestion! Also, I'm using a HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF (PSU at 240W). The motherboard is OEM.

7 hours ago, nelsonpong said:

Thank you for the suggestion, friend! I've looked up on CPU throttling and found out that I have been on Power Saver plan all this time. I didn't figure out how ThrottleStop worked, but the High Performance power plan did the trick! Dota 2 is now going CPU and GPU usage!

7 hours ago, alatron978 said:

Your cpu is running at 1.6GHZ in the dota 2 screenshot, which is much lower then in the apex legends one. That could be holding back your fps.

Your suggestion also helped me identify the problem! Thanks, guys.