YouTube Is Changing the Way It Displays Subscriber Counts

Ash pre-youtube update of obfuscating uselessness.

Ash post youtube "update".

-----------------------------------------------------

I just don't see why the exact current number shouldn't be publicly available somewhere; and I really don't agree with it if it was done in any way for reasons along the lines of what was presented in the OP(which I don't particularly believe; but wouldn't be surprised by either).  What's soo scary about just having the right number displayed?  Hows this new cog thrown into the mix improve anything?

6 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Ash pre-youtube update of obfuscating uselessness.

Ash post youtube "update".

-----------------------------------------------------

I just don't see why the exact current number shouldn't be publicly available somewhere; and I really don't agree with it if it was done in any way for reasons along the lines of what was presented in the OP(which I don't particularly believe; but wouldn't be surprised by either).  What's soo scary about just having the right number displayed?  Hows this new cog thrown into the mix improve anything?

The idea is that if a group of... "idiots", decides to attack a specific channel with unsubscribe bombs, the general audience won't see the initial small surge. So in theory it won't cause the cascade where other idiots jump on a bandwagon without actually knowing why they're unsubbing.

Bad channels that deserve to lose subscribers still will. But the idea is that it will help against trolls.

And there's not really any downside to this... so... yeah.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

32 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The idea is that if a group of... "idiots", decides to attack a specific channel with unsubscribe bombs, the general audience won't see the initial small surge. So in theory it won't cause the cascade where other idiots jump on a bandwagon without actually knowing why they're unsubbing.

That is stupid; and obviously wrong.  If you're motivated to unsub, you do so.  You're not watching for a number drop waiting to dogpile on someone you subbed to, presumably, because you liked their content.  That may be the reason presented for this; I doubt very much that that is the actual inspiration for it, and even if it is, its wrong.

So ya... harm done with precision and transparency removed, and action taken on a symptom instead of the cause.  This is how you break things, by doing stupid bullshit that adds nothing, for the wrong reasons, and leaving it in to be forgotten about.

Aside from bots, fake accounts, and illegal content youtube shouldn't do anything to curb real peoples actions/choices.  Then again they are an advertising body and that is precisely what they do and exactly the reason why they do it.  */me reminds himself why google is an insidious evil*

I'd be all for youtube pointing to a couple videos in users feed highlighting opposing view points on a topic a user is actively viewing to paint a broader picture.  But this sort of thing, nope.

will the old interface get affected? cause i'm still using that, fuck the new interface it's shit and looks like a blind man drew what he thinks youtube looks like if a Chinese person described it to him

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N