• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tech_Dreamer

YouTube Is Changing the Way It Displays Subscriber Counts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Sub Me Senpai.

YouTube-subscriber-count-glitch.jpg

Due to the recent trend in hate motivated mass unsubscription trend , Youtube is now taking a bold new strategy in curbing provoked mass hysteria. From August this year on-wards the current view of subscriber count will be rounded down & displayed, instead of showing the exact number of subscribers that are live at the moment, For example someone who has "7,475,678" subscribers it'll now be shown as "7,000,000" as a general average as "7.4 mill" , The only people excluded from the rounded down sub count show would be those that has less than 1000 subs , for them the numbers of subscribers that are shown will be exact & accurate. Content creators will be able to see exact subscriber count from YouTube studio. So only us viewers are hit by this odd decision from google.

New format >

YouTube-abbreviate-subscriber-counts.gif

• If a channel has 4,227 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “4.2k” until the channel reaches 4,300.
  • If a channel has 133,017 subscribers, the public subscriber count will read “133K” until the channel reaches 134,000.
  • If a channel has 51,389,232, the public subscriber count will read “51M” until the channel reaches 52,000,000.

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1130882313066180610

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/11308823130661806

This will indeed will hit hard for live subscriber count sites like social blade & other 3rd party apps that take advantage of the publicly available counter. this is indeed very pointless & very little helpful when it comes to helping either parties , content creators wont get to ride the wave of their sub rise from now on in view of public & people who visit may be less enthusiastic about subbing due to stagnant value being shown.

they're claiming that by doing so it foster a less adversarial and status-driven environment. where a content creator isn't attacked on based on recent events or whatever & showing a static number discourages other to follow a hateful  trend.

Subscriber count is just one signal to gauge video creator popularity, and it’s “far from the end-all, be-all, In the broader context of understanding audience attention, understanding who is watching and engaging with video content is just as important if not more so than subscriber size.

Allison Stern, chief strategy officer at Tubular Labs.

Make no mistake , this shit started from that willy wonka Sister James Charles V Tati feud which led to 2 mill sub drop in a period of 24 hours for sister James which is some kind of YouTube record iircc . The content creator probably talked with the head of Youtube about this, causing more drama leading up to this. Literally some Cringy drama shit affected everyone!

James-charles-seemingly-throws-shade-at-Tati-at-Kylie-Jenner-party.jpg

The only accounts excluded are those with under 1,000 followers, with the exact figure being displayed until the threshold has been reached.

So what do you think? Leave your comments/rants/opinions down below. 

IMO This is about a platform once again controlling narrative, Youtube has always been sub political when it comes to things affecting certain tiers of content creators. what bothers me about this is there can be foul play if they wanted it to happen without having to catch peoples attention, for example in a recent twitter trend that happened about a month ago i noticed this, a Kpop group had their view count cut down by 10 million in a span of one hour.  fans/ other people were posting social blade counter & YouTube view counter as proof that tampering had happened,  if a parent company can tamper that out in the open , imagine thing they'd do with a favoritism influenced partners sub count behind closed doors. Just imagine. Other than that Sub botting would now be imperceptible to regular viewers audience as there's no proof to see or record it. there's that malpractice option opened up. we saw this clearly with Pewds v T-series subs. both parties doing their part in it.

to be fair i think this will indeed be a good tool to curb that domino effect of sub losses, but this had to be inclusive , if they had noticed the mass drop on per individual basis & apply this to that exact channel & give/take time figure out whats going on, then it'd be good, this might discourage or encourage new viewers decision about subbing or unsubbing. but at the same time know that mass un-subbing happens due to something .  creators behavior/news/tantrum/rumor etc  people rarely go out against another person without cause except general hate or-whatever which is less now. This would make channels look stagnant overtime, but anyways lets see where this goes. 

People responded like you'd expected :

Sources :

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/21/youtube-full-subscriber-counts/

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-will-abbreviate-subscriber-counts-starting-in-august/

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/youtube-change-subscriber-counts-rounding-1203223404/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634368/james-charles-tati-westbrook-tfue-subscriber-count-change-youtube-social-blade

Meh, I don't think this is that huge of a thing. I don't think people are gonna subscribe/un-subscribe any more or less because of it, we just can't see their numbers is all. It's not really a big deal for anyone, surely content creators aren't gonna be affected, nor are the viewers.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

264.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Wow, rest in peace FlareTV's Pewdiepie vs. T-Series livestream 😫

So sad, Alexa play "Bitch Lasagna"!

/dead meme

/s

This is so stupid. They removed the exact sub number from the video view, now even from the about pages of YouTubers?

Let's just hope the sites like SocialBlade can still see it.

This is just another thing YouTube is doing to filter the content on the site. Same with them recommending videos without showing the view count, just showing recommended:

image.png.85eb72a0ff16309c92204c721a9e99fa.png

This is such an annoying ''''feature'''' that should be removed, just like this policy.

This is just YouTube treating the user like an idiot that can't make up their own mind. In general I feel like this is part of a bigger problem; YouTube doesn't want you to make up your own mind.

It doesn't want you to see too many videos relating to what you are watching now, it just wants you to see what it the algorithm wants to serve.

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

1 minute ago, floofer said:

Who is sister James Charles and tati? Should I know about these women?

Shit drama, no need to watch/know.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'm like meh. This doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned. Seeing a full number doesn't give the average person any more useful info than the rounded number. If you want to unsub, you can still unsub, and if a lot of people do it, it goes down all the same.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 2600, Noctua D9L, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x4GB, ???, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, Crucial MX300 525GB, Acer RT280K

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6600k stock, Silverstone TD03-E, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-7800X, i7-5930k, i7-5820k, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700T, i5-6600k, i7-5775C, i5-5675C, i5-4570S, i3-8350k, i3-6100, i3-4360, i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, R7 1700, R5 2600

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

Who is sister James Charles and tati? Should I know about these women?

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18617895/james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-drama-3-million-subscribers

So... James had been loyal to a brand that tatatati owns, James then sponsors a competing brand. tatatati goes ape shit and blows up on him (40min approx video in the source) and tonnes of other shit. Also theres the thing with "James attempting to change men's sexuality" that arose. Basically a shitfest

You can change this by going into your account settings, going down to your signature tab and Typing whatever fits within the rules.

Your welcome

2 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18617895/james-charles-tati-westbrook-feud-drama-3-million-subscribers

So... James had been loyal to a brand that tatatati owns, James then sponsors a competing brand. tatatati goes ape shit and blows up on him (40min approx video in the source) and tonnes of other shit. Also theres the thing with "James attempting to change men's sexuality" that arose. Basically a shitfest

That’s messed up.

1 minute ago, floofer said:

That’s messed up.

I only found this out through memes...

You can change this by going into your account settings, going down to your signature tab and Typing whatever fits within the rules.

Your welcome

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

For example someone who has "7,475,678" subscribers it'll now be shown as "7,000,000" as a rounded up number or as "7.4 mill"

rounded down, fam ._.

55 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

256GB Toshiba M.2 SATA (boot)

1TB 860 EVO SATA III (storage)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra

This might just have the opposite effect than what they think it might. Example if a creator has 12 012 345 subs its will round to 12M but what happens if the loss say 15000 subs. The actual subs will be 11 997 345 but due to the rounding down it will display as 11M. Effectively making it look like they just lost 1 million subs.

This is commitment on Youtube's part. When you ignore all the really serious issues like trolling of channels on music rights and retarded appealing process for that and go for the most petty one no one gave any fucks except PewDiePiew's 9 year olds (and me) who found some fun in sub count wars with T-series which was funny. This one.

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

I like how still no one knows what exactly Tati’s problem was lmao

James Charles started repping other peoples shit, and she didn't like it I think.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

2 minutes ago, Ardu said:

James Charles started repping other peoples shit, and she didn't like it I think.

Yea that’s what it sounds like but I think she also went off on a bunch of other things that maybe happened previously because if it was only that it would be very much overeacting.

New Rig yay

My Folding Stats

amen brother, yi yi !

X  Vigilo Confido  X

Just being pedantic... but those numbers given as examples are all rounded DOWN, not UP.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  •  
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  •  
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Sorry, but does subscriber count really make a difference to the end user? Does the fact that someone has 4,099 instead of 4k or 4,999,999 instead of 4.9m make you watch their content any less?

Prime example is AvE. He has his sub count completely hidden, and he's doing perfectly fine

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB Snail Drive, 256GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 15.6" 1080p 120Hz Screen (Why did they even bother with only a 1050Ti, it can barely push 60fps)

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, Nvidia GT120 512MB. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

Vodafone Smart Platinum 7 - Has never seen a Vodafone Sim

This is a nothing sandwich. It might well have the desired effect, so I'm totally okay with it. Creators themselves will still be able to see an exact subscriber count - and that's really what matters (they can also share that number privately with say - advertisers).

Also, @Tech_Dreamer, can you edit the post and fix the incorrect wording? You're showing examples of rounding down, not up.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

okay three maths teachers are enough, LOL

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Just being pedantic... but those numbers given as examples are all rounded DOWN, not UP.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, @Tech_Dreamer, can you edit the post and fix the incorrect wording? You're showing examples of rounding down, not up