Kingston SSD fail

Hey guys,

A while back, my Kingston 240GB failed in the old Macbook Pro I had at the time failed, with the disk error, sometimes it would boot, but no data other than MacOS other times it would boot with the disk error screen.

I forgot about it for a while until I tried reading the drive with mac format software in an external SATA dock. Any software trying to read it becomes unresponsive and the computer gets stuck on reboot until I remove the drive.

Are there any solutions to the problems before I destroy the drive? The data isn't vital but it would be nice to recover it. All recovery freezes on any scans until the drive is disconnected.

I think a hardware problem on the computer is destroying the drives, as it is the second drive to fail with that computer.

Any help is appreciated!

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 2700 | T-Force 32GB 3000mhZ | Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 Case | Corsair H100x AIO | Corsair CX750M PSU | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC

Storage Server: Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Mini PC | i3 4130T 2.90Ghz | 4GB SoDIMM | 500GB WD Blue Internal | 6TB Seagate External | 1TB Seagate External | OS: Openmediavault

Being kind costs nothing. Make the world a better place!

26 minutes ago, AlexanderAckroyd said:

Are there any solutions to the problems before I destroy the drive?

Not really, no. There are two ways an SSD can die: 1) the drive's controller determines that the flash-chips are no longer reliable and should not be written to anymore, and the controller then places itself into a read-only mode permanently, or 2) the drive's controller itself dies. In the #1, you'd be able to read data off of it just fine. Since you aren't able to read anything off of it, you've hit #2, and there's literally nothing you can do about it -- well, other than sending the drive off to a professional company and paying $10,000+ for them to try and recover your stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Since you aren't able to read anything off of it, you've hit #2, and there's literally nothing you can do about it

That's what I thought.

Wanted confirmation from a third party.

Definitely not worth paying for recovery.

Thanks for your help!

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 2700 | T-Force 32GB 3000mhZ | Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 Case | Corsair H100x AIO | Corsair CX750M PSU | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC

Storage Server: Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Mini PC | i3 4130T 2.90Ghz | 4GB SoDIMM | 500GB WD Blue Internal | 6TB Seagate External | 1TB Seagate External | OS: Openmediavault

Being kind costs nothing. Make the world a better place!