New thermal paste?

jerocom

So I recently acquired a new laptop.

It is the ROG GL702vsk, well, not really, it is s7vs7700, but that is the Chinese version of GL702vsk (or at least the specs are the same and it looks the same when you open it, even the parts say GL702vsk, it is just the model number that is different).

Point is, when I'm playing the Witcher 3, cores 1 & 3 stay at reasonable +-80 °C, while 2 & 4 shoot up immediately to 95, which throttles the whole processor down, I also have some throttling issues regarding the GPU (it runs at around 800 MHz instead of 1400-1600). I did try other games and the problems seem to persist, they just aren't as prominent as in the Witcher 3. Do I change out the thermal paste on this? I know that this laptop usually does run quite hot and doesn't usually boost very high, but the air coming from the heatsinks is quite warm, but not hot per say (my other laptop with a 1050 spits out much hotter air) and it also probably shouldn't sit at 800MHz.

Thanks for any suggestions & sorry for any grammar (English isn't my first language)

J

Well, you can probably knock of a couple of degrees off the temps by switching to a high-quality thermal paste. However, the limiting factor here is that it's a laptop, and laptops universally have poor airflow and cooling capacity. Also bear in mind that changing the thermal paste will most likely void your warranty.

9 hours ago, SammyV said:

Well, you can probably knock of a couple of degrees off the temps by switching to a high-quality thermal paste. However, the limiting factor here is that it's a laptop, and laptops universally have poor airflow and cooling capacity. Also bear in mind that changing the thermal paste will most likely void your warranty.

Thanks! The warranty is gone anyway and the thing is that this one is running really hot even for this particular laptop (also the difference in temperatures between cores is like 20°C which I don't think is normal).

I was thinking of using thermal grizzly cryonaut, people like it, bunch of different tech channels recommend it and it is non-curing (which I think is good :D).

Well anyways, thanks for the tip

J

And maybe get one of those flat stands that have a 200mm fan that blows from the bottom to help cool it down and use some canned air to clean the fans out if you don't take it apart to to a repaste!!