GOG announces the last video games client you'll ever need (consoles + PC)

Andreas Lilja

Galaxy 2.0, announced today, sounds like a more ambitious undertaking, as it promises to combine all of your games, online friends, and other data in one place. The idea is that you'll connect the new client to your various online accounts and platforms, including consoles—a list hasn't been confirmed yet, but a rep said that the goal is "to have all major platforms officially integrated in the app"—at which point it will import your libraries and friends lists, essentially acting as a big-tent overlay for Steam, EGS, Origin, and so forth. It will also track all of your achievements and hours played across platforms, support cross-platform chat, and offer various sorting, filtering, and collection comparison options.

I might finally stray from my Steam puritanism, this looks as ambitious than other projects like Raptr or the belated Xfire, but from a way more credible developer.

https://www.gog.com/news/bgog_galaxy_20b_all_your_games_and_friends_in_one_place_copy3

https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-galaxy-20-aims-to-bring-games-from-all-pc-and-console-platforms-under-one-roof/

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

If it works, neat.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Sounds excellent, but won't we still have to have other launchers in order to buy said games? 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I don't understand how console integration will work without the console mfrs incorporating Gog's systems, which they won't.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

What are the community created integrations and how I can create one?

We want to offer integrations with all possible gaming platforms. This is a challenging and time-consuming process, not only because these are technically complex projects, but they also require negotiations and agreements with partners. We want all our official integrations to be supported by respective platform holders, so we make sure they’re in-line with partners’ policies and that they’re safe.
While we’re hard at work on adding more official integrations, we’ve decided to give you – the community – an opportunity to work on your own open source platform integrations. We’re currently polishing the documentation that will be shared with you to help you build your own platform integrations for GOG GALAXY 2.0.

inb4 everyone gets onboard other than Epic.

Will it work though? Will EA and Ubi let third party launchers poke at their users? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Awesome! Really like how they're improving this platform. I've signed for the beta too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

35 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Sounds way too optimistic

My thoughts exactly: Either they're doing this without permission and the lawsuits and blocking attempts starts or they're getting permission but they're going to get blocked by at least Epic making the entire thing pointless.

I guess the third option is that this just just a glorified macro that clicks on shortcuts for you so if that's the case, well I'm not impressed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm optimistic only because this is something i've wanted for a while if were stuck with 10 different launchers. 

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Sounds like it its an attempt to make an additional interface that reads off your existing launcher platforms. This will require all of those different launchers to be running in the background to work.

I see the good intent here, but cannot imagine how it can be an elegant solution.

the better way would be to actually connect to accounts with the client but I highly doubt every company would play nice with this...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Sounds like it its an attempt to make an additional interface that reads off your existing launcher platforms. This will require all of those different launchers to be running in the background to work.

I see the good intent here, but cannot imagine how it can be an elegant solution.

You can do all of that on the backend, get user to add accounts, run them on a vm. With some creative html fuckery they can probably reduce steams footprint to close to nothing on the vm, dunno about the rest of the platforms.

47 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

My thoughts exactly: Either they're doing this without permission and the lawsuits and blocking attempts starts or they're getting permission but they're going to get blocked by at least Epic making the entire thing pointless.

I guess the third option is that this just just a glorified macro that clicks on shortcuts for you so if that's the case, well I'm not impressed.

I couldn't give less of a shit about Epic at this point. But I wouldn't mind launcher that combines Steam, Origin and Battle.net. You know, platforms not run by dicks. Imagine the world where I actually like Origin and hate something else. LOL where have we come...

So movieseverywhere/reelgood for games? Was wondering when this would happen.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I couldn't give less of a shit about Epic at this point. But I wouldn't mind launcher that combines Steam, Origin and Battle.net. You know, platforms not run by dicks. Imagine the world where I actually like Origin and hate something else. LOL where have we come...

So you truly don't give a shit about games anymore? Because all kinds of games both AAA and Indie are being launched as Epic Store exclusives or timed exclusives

Or do you mean that in the sense that you don't give a shit about Epic anymore, are willing to use it, and would be fine in using 2 clients: Galaxy and Epic Store?

Because those are the realistic 2 choices here. I am ok with the second because I truly do not have anything invested in this kind of stuff but you honestly do not strike me as the type to be truly indifferent, I might be wrong about this of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So you truly don't give a shit about games anymore? Because all kinds of games both AAA and Indie are being launched as Epic Store exclusives or timed exclusives

Or do you mean that in the sense that you don't give a shit about Epic anymore, are willing to use it, and would be fine in using 2 clients: Galaxy and Epic Store?

Because those are the realistic 2 choices here. I am ok with the second because I truly do not have anything invested in this kind of stuff but you honestly do not strike me as the type to be truly indifferent, I might be wrong about this of course.

He most likely means he ignore Epic exclusives and rather wait for them to get on other stores, like I do. I vote with my wallet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Exactly my thought. They actually made us hate EA less. How the heck was that possible?

I wonder how integration with 3rd party launchers will work. Via official means in cooperation with competing platforms or via hacks and stuff. Though I do have to give credit to GOG for trying to unite PC gaming instead of Epic who's trying to segment it further with forced exclusives... I wonder how all this will work out over time. GOG certainly has a huge advantage with DRM Free games which I greatly favor even if they sometimes cost a bit more than on Steam. And GOG Galaxy is becoming another huge reason to stick around. It was never mandatory and I hope it stays this way, but it's just so nice to use and is convenient I just use it.

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

He most likely means he ignore Epic exclusives and rather wait for them to get on other stores, like I do. I vote with my wallet.

Yeah, cause that always work right!?

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah, cause that always work right!?

It's better than just accepting it. Epic store is utter shit.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

21 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I boycott those games entirely. I never bought or played Metro Exodus. And it's very unlikely I ever will even if it comes to any other platform or whatever. I've been boycotting Ubisoft for years and I'm doing just fine. So I'm just gonna do the same for Epic. I'm not gonna support dicks and sellouts. And this is coming from someone who bought both original Metro games on Steam and then also bought Redux versions of both on GOG...