VM port forwarding issue?

Hey Guys

Im trying to set up a game server within my home thats public facing for friends to join.

im using unRAID to run it as a VM so that i can have a NAS too.

the VM is a windows 10 home clean install with only the server client on the machine and the basic drivers needed to function and i disabled windows firewall. i had to open ports 27016 and 8766 for my game and steam to see it which i did in my router to the IP address of the VM, this is where it gets weird. Before I forward the ports canyouseeme shows thats the connection timed out, after i forward the ports canyouseeme shows both ports as connection refused. iss there something im missing in unRAID to forward the ports properly.

Assuming you bridged the servers network adapter with the VM so your router directly sees the VM (should have an IP starting with 192.168.X.X) then it should work.

If you have an obscurely different IP in the VM changes are it's traversing NAT.

so the server is showing up with a IP of 192.188.1.235 and the VM is 192.168.1.250

unraid AFAIK does not do NAT

Did you VM get the IP address of 192.168.1.250 from DHCP or did you manually set it?

canyouseeme will not be able to check if a port is open unless you have the game server running while you test. If there's nothing to answer a reply on the port, it won't be shown as open.

17 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

unraid AFAIK does not do NAT

Did you VM get the IP address of 192.168.1.250 from DHCP or did you manually set it?

canyouseeme will not be able to check if a port is open unless you have the game server running while you test. If there's nothing to answer a reply on the port, it won't be shown as open.

i think the VM IP is from the router but i think i set the unRAID ip myself. i do have the server running when i do the port check

Just now, Nuc1ear F1ame said:

i think the VM IP is from the router but i think i set the unRAID ip myself. i do have the server running when i do the port check

If you go to task manager > performance > resource manager > Network > listening ports

do you see the ports you forwarded? 

im not at home right now but i will check that in the morning would that explain why its refusing connect

ion

11 hours ago, Nuc1ear F1ame said:

im not at home right now but i will check that in the morning would that explain why its refusing connect

ion

If there's nothing listening on that port, yes. The port test basically says "Hello" and waits for a reply back. Just having a port open and nothing listening is the same as seeing an open door and yelling for your friend who is in another state lol.

This is why you can't exactly test UDP ports, UDP is a stream protocol so there really is no "hello" part. If you know specifically what is using that port you could test that service by using whatever application is intended for it.

so i had a friend tray and was able to connect to my server somehow even though canyouseeme says the connection was refused so idk whats going on anymore

On 5/24/2019 at 7:06 PM, Nuc1ear F1ame said:

so i had a friend tray and was able to connect to my server somehow even though canyouseeme says the connection was refused so idk whats going on anymore

Then maybe your game port uses UDP, which that website does not test.