block lan user

Foxis

hello i have a huawei b525 and i wanna block a specific user using lan or disabling the lan ports except 1 (no questions please why lol)

i was able to go to DHCP settings and only set the ip range between 192.168.8.111 to 111 and that was my ipv4 adress on my pc. but i cant just limit it to one only so im blocking everyone. (im not very good at this stuff but if you say i have to start from the beggining... no thats not how it works.)

Unfortunately with most consumer routers you cannot disable LAN ports. You can however use QoS if the user were a wireless client to block their MAC address from using the internet.

For being a wired client you'd need a managed switch. From there you can remote in and disable the port as necessary.

Go to Settings Security Device Management, and you should be able to allow and disallow recently connected devices.

4 minutes ago, badreg said:

Go to Settings Security Device Management, and you should be able to allow and disallow recently connected devices.

i can only block people with wireless connection.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Unfortunately with most consumer routers you cannot disable LAN ports. You can however use QoS if the user were a wireless client to block their MAC address from using the internet.

For being a wired client you'd need a managed switch. From there you can remote in and disable the port as necessary.

im not so sure what that is, from what i found on google its like a splitter, 1 cable to like 10.

3 minutes ago, Foxis said:

im not so sure what that is, from what i found on google its like a splitter, 1 cable to like 10.

I have to say if you don't know what a switch is at all I think you're well in over your head.

Whatever your reason may be is it really that important to lock-out this one user? If your knowledge is really this limited your best course of action will probably be to switch the user to Wi-Fi and block their MAC. Just like that they'll have no internet.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I have to say if you don't know what a switch is at all I think you're well in over your head.

Whatever your reason may be is it really that important to lock-out this one user? If your knowledge is really this limited your best course of action will probably be to switch the user to Wi-Fi and block their MAC. Just like that they'll have no internet.

just because i dont know these things doesnt mean im not going to do it, im not that kind of guy "i dont know what that is i might just never do it or maybe i can learn everything about everything."

if i wanna do something om not going to do research on everything, otherwise forums wouldnt be needed.

and no its a pc that doesnt support wireless

1 minute ago, Foxis said:

just because i dont know these things doesnt mean im not going to do it, im not that kind of guy "i dont know what that is i might just never do it or maybe i can learn everything about everything."

if i wanna do something om not going to do research on everything, otherwise forums wouldnt be needed.

Well if you're that adamant about it.

Pretty simply a switch takes one or more uplinks and converts it to 4, 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, etc. downlinks. In other words for clients, servers, or other network equipment.

That four ports on the bottom of your router is an integrated four port switch. However chances are it's a dummy switch. It cannot be configured.

A managed switch allows you to control port activity, flow, security, aggregation, and monitoring network traffic. Very nice if you learn how to use it. They can also be used to purposefully disable interfaces if desired. So you would plug the router into the switch then everything else into the switch.

Managed switches are generally pretty pricey though Ubiquiti offers some enthusiast level gear for less than the enterprise price tags companies like CISCO charge. eBay also has your back if you don't mind buying used. It'd get you some very powerful equipment for much cheaper than buying it new.

Do understand if you go to eBay to buy a retired managed switch from a company like CISCO you'll have to learn the CLI required to configure them. Luckily for enabling/disabling ports the commands are pretty minimal/simple.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well if you're that adamant about it.

Pretty simply a switch takes one or more uplinks and converts it to 4, 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, etc. downlinks. In other words for clients, servers, or other network equipment.

That four ports on the bottom of your router is an integrated four port switch. However chances are it's a dummy switch. It cannot be configured.

A managed switch allows you to control port activity, flow, security, aggregation, and monitoring network traffic. Very nice if you learn how to use it. They can also be used to purposefully disable interfaces if desired. So you would plug the router into the switch then everything else into the switch.

Managed switches are generally pretty pricey though Ubiquiti offers some enthusiast level gear for less than the enterprise price tags companies like CISCO charge. eBay also has your back if you don't mind buying used. It'd get you some very powerful equipment for much cheaper than buying it new.

Do understand if you go to eBay to buy a retired managed switch from a company like CISCO you'll have to learn the CLI required to configure them. Luckily for enabling/disabling ports the commands are pretty minimal/simple.

Okey, thank you.

Seems kinda dodge that you're trying to block someone from a LAN. And if it's not your network it's not really fair to advise you on how to do it. Can only assume you're trying to block a relative or something and that doesn't sit right with me. I don't think the forums here should be allowed to help you, surely it's against ToS.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

MotherboardASUS PRIME Z370-A II

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Storage 2: Hyper X 240GB

PSU: Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W

Peripherals: Logitech G502 Hero//Corsair K70 MK 2 Cherry MX Red

Display: BenQ XL2430T 24-inch 144Hz

3 hours ago, Ardu said:

Seems kinda dodge that you're trying to block someone from a LAN. And if it's not your network it's not really fair to advise you on how to do it. Can only assume you're trying to block a relative or something and that doesn't sit right with me. I don't think the forums here should be allowed to help you, surely it's against ToS.

you're assuming its not my network?

im going to block someone that is using all internet, everytime hes on his computer (and hes on there all the time) he makes me lag on an internet connection with 30 mbit. i've asked him but he doesnt understand hes using all the internet. and i am not going to play with 200 ping because someone is always using 30 mbit/s.. i always have 30 ping, and if he starts the pc i go from 30 to 70 and its unstable af, and i work too, and i do it on cloud and that is pretty fucking slow. 

if you dont wanna help me you dont need to be here, because that the ONLY reason i made this forum.

39 minutes ago, Foxis said:

im going to block someone that is using all internet, everytime hes on his computer (and hes on there all the time) he makes me lag on an internet connection with 30 mbit. i've asked him but he doesnt understand hes using all the internet. and i am not going to play with 200 ping because someone is always using 30 mbit/s.. i always have 30 ping, and if he starts the pc i go from 30 to 70 and its unstable af, and i work too, and i do it on cloud and that is pretty fucking slow. 

if you dont wanna help me you dont need to be here, because that the ONLY reason i made this forum.

Yes I am assuming that based off what you have said. Unless this person is like your child I think what you're doing is wrong, because if they are a tenant in your household they are probably paying rent, which includes the usage of the internet. Also, pretty sure if you're working on a cloud it'd be your upload, not download, or is this person uploading non-stop too?

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

1 hour ago, Foxis said:

If you care so much, you can always change your WI-FI password, or block his MAC Address.

Current PC

CPUIntel Core i9 9900k

GPUGTX 1080 8GB FTW EVGA

1 hour ago, Ardu said:

If you care so much, you can always change your WI-FI password, or block his MAC Address.

Because if you read what he said then you would know the issue is with a device connected by LAN.

Therefore changing the WIFI password does nothing.

Also if your not going to provide positive input then you dont need to post.

He is not doing posting about anything that is not against TOS for the forums.

19 hours ago, Foxis said:

hello i have a huawei b525 and i wanna block a specific user using lan or disabling the lan ports except 1 (no questions please why lol)

i was able to go to DHCP settings and only set the ip range between 192.168.8.111 to 111 and that was my ipv4 adress on my pc. but i cant just limit it to one only so im blocking everyone. (im not very good at this stuff but if you say i have to start from the beggining... no thats not how it works.)

Setting the DHCP range only stops the router from automatically setting ip addresses to the devices connected.

I have attached a screenshot.

In Settings then Security then Mac Filter.

If you can find the Mac address on the device that person is using then use the block option. On Windows you can find it on "CMD" and using command "ipconfig".

If you don't then you can use the allow feature and only allow devices that you need by Mac Address.

Every device that can connect to the internet has a Mac address.

image.png.61dca99b6a1906798f85f442b1dc7196.png

3 hours ago, Ardu said:

Yes I am assuming that based off what you have said.

Why would you assume all that?

What if he has a broke friend crashing on his couch, paying nothing, and hogging all his bandwidth?

Or what if it's a tenant who pays for rent but nothing towards internet and this guy is sharing his network with him out of charity?

There could be a load of valid reasons here.

7 hours ago, Foxis said:

You need to enable QoS to actually fix the problem - which is that his PC is using too much of your bandwidth.

QoS = Quality of Service - and is a term used to describe how we can manipulate the network in such a way as to cause a desired outcome. In this case, the desired outcome is for both of you to be able to use the Internet to some beneficial degree.

Ideally, you'd use QoS to simply limit all users to an equal amount (For example, if there's just two of you, then limit both of your computers to 15 Mbps each). If your router has more advanced QoS features, you might even be able to configure "boost" modes, where if he's not using his computer at all, it'll allow you to take the entire 30 Mbps (at least, until he logs back in, in which case, you'd both drop back down to 15 Mbps each).

Simply blocking him is not a solution. What are you going to do once he starts bitching that he has no internet?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Simply blocking him is not a solution

Or when he realizes OP has internet but he doesn't... he might try switching the LAN ports himself and then OP has no internet and he has it all :)

Or they realize you ( @Foxis ) are messing with their connection and they end up resetting your router and changing the default password. You'll both end up spending more time trying to one up each other rather than simply using the internet together.

7 hours ago, TekSupport said:

On Windows you can find it on "CMD" and using command "ipconfig".

ipconfig will not tell you the NIC's MAC address you'd need to use ipconfig /all.

Also chances are the room-mate would not let him on their computer. Luckily the router usually has a client list including computer name/IP/MAC and this goes for both wired & wireless clients so if OP knows the name of their computer OP can find their MAC listed in the router.

To OP:

In all honesty though instead of being mean and locking them out outright it should be possible to use QoS to limit the bandwidth available to their IP/MAC or to give your IP/MAC priority/VIP service whenever you want to get on.

Weather or not your router has this functionality I don't know but a lot of pro-sumer routers seem to come with it.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, Ardu said:

Yes I am assuming that based off what you have said. Unless this person is like your child I think what you're doing is wrong, because if they are a tenant in your household they are probably paying rent, which includes the usage of the internet. Also, pretty sure if you're working on a cloud it'd be your upload, not download, or is this person uploading non-stop too?

no, you download and upload from cload, and no its not my child, hes just using it all up, and my upload speed is on 0,3 mbit/s when im using an external antenna to my router and without it is 1,5 mbit/s for some reason.. but it makes download speed faster so i have to switch between antennas in settings all the times depending on what i do, but sometimes its not enough.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, TekSupport said:

Because if you read what he said then you would know the issue is with a device connected by LAN.

Therefore changing the WIFI password does nothing.

Also if your not going to provide positive input then you dont need to post.

He is not doing posting about anything that is not against TOS for the forums.

Setting the DHCP range only stops the router from automatically setting ip addresses to the devices connected.

I have attached a screenshot.

In Settings then Security then Mac Filter.

If you can find the Mac address on the device that person is using then use the block option. On Windows you can find it on "CMD" and using command "ipconfig".

If you don't then you can use the allow feature and only allow devices that you need by Mac Address.

Every device that can connect to the internet has a Mac address.

yes i know, thats why i cant use DHCP, it worked but that blocked everyone. but thank you i didn't see that option, i only saw wifi mac filter i will try :D.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, dalekphalm said:

You need to enable QoS to actually fix the problem - which is that his PC is using too much of your bandwidth.

QoS = Quality of Service - and is a term used to describe how we can manipulate the network in such a way as to cause a desired outcome. In this case, the desired outcome is for both of you to be able to use the Internet to some beneficial degree.

Ideally, you'd use QoS to simply limit all users to an equal amount (For example, if there's just two of you, then limit both of your computers to 15 Mbps each). If your router has more advanced QoS features, you might even be able to configure "boost" modes, where if he's not using his computer at all, it'll allow you to take the entire 30 Mbps (at least, until he logs back in, in which case, you'd both drop back down to 15 Mbps each).

Simply blocking him is not a solution. What are you going to do once he starts bitching that he has no internet?

thank you i will try that too. but if i have to i will block him, not all the time only when i need.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:45 PM, Windows7ge said:

ipconfig will not tell you the NIC's MAC address you'd need to use ipconfig /all.

Also chances are the room-mate would not let him on their computer. Luckily the router usually has a client list including computer name/IP/MAC and this goes for both wired & wireless clients so if OP knows the name of their computer OP can find their MAC listed in the router.

To OP:

In all honesty though instead of being mean and locking them out outright it should be possible to use QoS to limit the bandwidth available to their IP/MAC or to give your IP/MAC priority/VIP service whenever you want to get on.

Weather or not your router has this functionality I don't know but a lot of pro-sumer routers seem to come with it.

i will try use qos and i do know his mac :)