Public Service Announcement: Crashplan Changes!!!

Online cloud storage backup and recovery service "Crashplan" has changed, dramatically, some of their services. Programs and many other files are now not backed up. This may even cause entire backups to dissapear, if they were in an unsupported format (.VMs for example are now excluded on their small business option).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/21/crashplan_changes_file_exclusions_to_anger_of_customers/

Some of the new exclusions:

• Applications: /Users/<username>/Applications, /Applications/, /Program Files/, /Program Files (x86)/
  • VM image files: .hdd, .hds, .pvm, .pvs, .vdi, .vfd, .vhd, .vmc, .vmdk, .vmem, .vmsd, .vmsn, .vmss, .vmtm, .vmwarevm, .vmx, .vmxf, .vsv, .nvram, .vud, .xva
  • Backup files: .bck, .bkf
  • Other files: .tmp, .part, .rbf, .tib, .sparseimage

Wow. I'm glad I only try for local/self upload backups. Because this "service" seems to be a paid for kick in the teeth. ?

Does anyone here use them?

28 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Online cloud storage backup and recovery service "Crashplan" has changed, dramatically, some of their services. Programs and many other files are now not backed up. This may even cause entire backups to dissapear, if they were in an unsupported format (.VMs for example are now excluded on their small business option).

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/21/crashplan_changes_file_exclusions_to_anger_of_customers/

Wow. I'm glad I only try for local/self upload backups. Because this "service" seems to be a paid for kick in the teeth. ?

Does anyone here use them?

They recently (last year) retired their Crashplan for home accounts. They only do business to business backups now.

I used them for a couple of years, it was a good service. Was sad to see them retire the Crashplan for home users service. But I have switched over to something else now, so...

I used them back when they did CrashPlan Pro, then when they switched to CrashPlan Home and CrashPlan Enterprise, I had a perpetual Home license.  That allowed for tweaking of those (default ignored) lists, and I backed up to another location of my own instead of paying for their cloud service.  They stopped offering CrashPlan Home quite a while ago now, and officially killed all remaining support to allow those running it to keep doing so about a year ago.  For the less techy that were using it and their cloud, I highly recommend BackBlaze (which is what I put my mom on with all of her photos, along with a local backup too).  For the more tech savy, Duplicati is an open source backup program, and it can back up to all kinds of back ends from S3/Glacier/BackBlazeB2 to just about any other method (I use secure ftp over ssh and pre-shared keys, to another machine of mine in another state).

I use a home NAS.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I use a home NAS.

This is great for local backup, but the NAS should backup to someplace remote as well…be it another NAS in another location, or a cloud service.