Out of spec laptop ram upgrade

Hey guys,

So I got this lenovo laptop (Yoga 720) and it's officially support up to 8GB in the only ram slot. Now, I've seen a few who have managed to cram in a 16GB Cruical CT16G4SFD824A with no problems. This got me wondering can I cram in something like the 32GB Samsung M471A4G43MB1-CTD and more or less expect it to work? Also what parameters should I be looking at to make sure I don't blow up my system? I know to keep it non-ecc and make sure the voltage (1.2V) matches. Anything else?

Also, yes, I know in the end it's up to whether the bios will support it or not.

The vast majority of current motherboards, desktop and laptop, only support up to 16GB modules per slot. Also, laptop manufacturers tend to produce several variants under the same model designation, that is your Yoga 720 might have a different motherboard than, for example, the one on a Youtube video that had 16GB of memory installed.

Generally, 16GB of memory is plenty for pretty much any task worth doing on a laptop. Whatever you end up doing, it's worth making sure you can get a refund on the memory if it doesn't work.

Beside the BIOS restrain would there be any other cause for worry? I just don't want to literally blow up my system for now. I'm cool with eating the cost if it's just a bios incompatibility. 

Nope, adding RAM to available slots will not physically harm your computer, just make sure it's the right type (DDR4 SO-DIMM for current models) and follow installation instructions. Worst case is the memory is not supported and either the computer will not boot when the RAM is installed or the computer will simply not detect the additional RAM.

• 11 months later...

For anyone in the future reading this: 

The Samsung M471A4G43MB1-CTD is compatible with the lenovo yoga 720 (YOGA 720-15IKB). It's just plug and play.