cheap gaming laptop for friend?

please leave a link to a good cheap gaming laptop

Just now, techtim said:

Budget, and type of games he wants to play?

Cuz I can link $150 laptop that will play basic games.

Also this way you will get more relevant replies.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Budget, and type of games he wants to play?

Cuz I can link $150 laptop that will play basic games.

Also this way you will get more relevant replies.

games like cod and gta5

3 minutes ago, techtim said:

games like cod and gta5

youll be looking to spend a minimum of about 900-1100 USD to start. I'd recommend something in the 1300-1500 USD to achieve decent cooling and performance though. Honestly I've stepped away from laptops a bit so Ill let others give you a better idea of what to look for in gaming. I don't play COD or GTA5 so I don't know what their req. are ... apologies.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, techtim said:

games like gta5 and cod

The asus FX503 was along the cheapest when i got mine (although this was at one store and in Au) it all depends on the budget and location

my laptop cost like - $1200 AU which is close to $825 US (Quite good price at the time) and has a i5 and 3gb 1060, it would easily play COD but unsure about GTA, i can install it if you would like but it will take a while as its a big game

1 minute ago, techtim said:

that's ok

would you like me to install GTA?

Also pressing the reply button will give the person a notification which will let them get back to you quicker

yes please, installing gta will be a big help. thanks

oh and while its installing, can you send me a link to the laptop please

7 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

would you like me to install GTA?

Also pressing the reply button will give the person a notification which will let them get back to you quicker

yes please and send me the link to the laptop

2 minutes ago, techtim said:

yes please and send me the link to the laptop

yeah can do, may have been $1400 on sale, unsure as that day like $8000 was spent

the specks look good, just forget about installing gta5, that gaming laptop should run it at high settings

Just now, techtim said:

the specks look good, just forget about installing gta5, that gaming laptop should run it at high settings

I'll install it anyway then i can give you the results, you might also find that the 8gb ram might not be enough to run at high settings and the 3gb 1060 i dont think would handle high (due to VRam size limitations)

4 hours ago, techtim said:

the specks look good

That model has bad cooling and OKish build quality. Also outdated

Absolute max budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

14 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

That model has bad cooling and OKish build quality. Also outdated

Absolute max budget?

was just going to use it to see if gta ran ok, not really suggsting it unless it can be brought for a really good price, if not he knows to look for something with better specs

7 hours ago, techtim said:

Gta V is installed now, all stats will be from the benchmark option and wont be online FPS (due to not remembering my rockstar account, but ill set that up probs tommorow or the weekend as i have to go to work in less than 2hrs), side note, benchmark takes ages to load :( ad cause gta is through steam i can only watch vids while i wait hahaha

Auto settings (high to very high settings) - adv 50 - 64 fps (drops to less than 40 and has stutters when using the jet at max speed, and the explosion scene fps hits 45+)

dropping the settings would almost be not worth it as the laptop only has a 60hz display but it would help with the few stutter moments the game has

If you need any other games tested let me know, i have many but some may need to be installed before they can be tested