Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KyrusDLT

CPU Thermal Throttling

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've been having some problems for quite a long time now, mostly because of my CPU apparently. I have an RTX 2070 as GPU and an i7-4790 as CPU, but whenever I play open world games, they just don't even run at 60fps, or if they do, I keep getting frame drops. My GPU load is quite low during gaming, as I only play in 1080 because of my current monitor, but when I check the CPU temps, it somehow reaches 100°C at 35% load, and I don't understand why. I'm not sure if theres a problem with the seat detects the temperatures, because when I actually touch the side of my case where the CPU is, it doesn't even feel hot at all. I have no idea what's going on, and I hope you can help me with this.

 

lttcpu.png.627801bd4b5b8c7f0df79f0f8086ae22.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KyrusDLT said:

Yes, I am.

If you’re still using the thermal paste from a long time ago, it could have dried up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

If you’re still using the thermal paste from a long time ago, it could have dried up.

I did change the thermal paste, but the problem still continued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KyrusDLT said:

I did change the thermal paste, but the problem still continued.

Try a different software temp tool, could be a bad reading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Try a different software temp tool, could be a bad reading.

You mean the monitoring software? I've used Core Temp and CPU-Z, and both mark the CPU thermal throttling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

You mean the monitoring software? I've used Core Temp and CPU-Z, and both mark the CPU thermal throttling.

whats voltage?

are all the push pins all the way down?


Beta!  X570 VRM + Features list (PM me if you want to help) 

 

Will prob be making an X570 "tier" list when that is completed.

Some Custom Loop Questions, please help answer them.

 

PC (Main)

 

CPU: i5-8400 CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus   Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M DS3H | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8 DDR4-2400

 Boot/OS SSD: Inland 480GB SSD | Video Card: RX 570 4GB Strix OC | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White TG (11/10) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750

Monitor: Sceptre 24" 1080p 75hz Webcam: Logitech C920s

 

NAS:

Synology DS418J w/ 4x WD Red Pro 6TB RAID 10 (used 7.3/12TB)

 

Phone/Tablet:

iPhone 8 64GB iPad Mini 4 128GB

 

Laptops:

Dell XPS 15 9570 i7-8750H + 1050 ti + 20GB ram (16+4) + 1TB EX920 SSD

 

My old computers:

Athlon Xp + R9600 Pro 256MB Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 3.4ghz + GTX 275 | i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz + GTX 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KyrusDLT said:

Should I change the cooler?

preferably, but if something else has also gone wrong then temps will still be higher than expected


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Jurrunio said:

preferably, but if something else has also gone wrong then temps will still be higher than expected

I just have no idea if it's a cooler problem or not. I've been searching a little bit and apparently the stock cooler isn't really good for gaming at all.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that it reaches such high temperatures with low loads, that's the one thing that I don't understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

I just have no idea if it's a cooler problem or not. I've been searching a little bit and apparently the stock cooler isn't really good for gaming at all.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that it reaches such high temperatures with low loads, that's the one thing that I don't understand.

The Intel cooler is notoriously bad, and 4th gen Intel CPUs are notoriously hot, do you have the stock cooler with or without copper in the base?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The Intel cooler is notoriously bad, and 4th gen Intel CPUs are notoriously hot, do you have the stock cooler with or without copper in the base?

It has copper in the base. I get what you mean about the stock cooler's performance and 4th gen's heat, but is it normal to have those temps at low loads?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

It has copper in the base. I get what you mean about the stock cooler's performance and 4th gen's heat, but is it normal to have those temps at low loads?

Does make me wonder if the software is at fault, in terms of load percentage. If your clocks do drop then the thermals are bad, also what are the BIOS temps?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Does make me wonder if the software is at fault, in terms of load percentage. If your clocks do drop then the thermals are bad, also what are the BIOS temps?

Just checked it. The BIOS CPU temps are 90°C

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Does make me wonder if the software is at fault, in terms of load percentage. If your clocks do drop then the thermals are bad, also what are the BIOS temps?

The clocks do significantly drop. Sorry, forgot to add that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KyrusDLT said:

Just checked it. The BIOS CPU temps are 90°C

Since the Intel stock cooler uses a plastic mounting system, it's possible the mounting pressure is no good anymore. What happens when you press the middle of it lightly with your finger?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Since the Intel stock cooler uses a plastic mounting system, it's possible the mounting pressure is no good anymore

the temps are like no cooler intact 

the four legs are easily broken and give unbalanced mount. only mount with 2 legs diagonally for temp solution

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Since the Intel stock cooler uses a plastic mounting system, it's possible the mounting pressure is no good anymore. What happens when you press the middle of it lightly with your finger?

It goes a bit down when i press it, just a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

the temps are like no cooler intact 

the four legs are easily broken and give unbalanced mount. only mount with 2 legs diagonally for temp solution

Still, if it's a problem with the legs I'm guessing I'll just change my cooler. I think that's better than just using the stock one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The stock intel cooler isn’t great but with stock clock speeds it shouldn’t hit 100c like it’s doing. 

For some reason it’s getting super hot. What case are you using and what do you have for intake/exhaust fans ? 


CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x 4ghz @1.345v

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

GPU: Asus Strix Rtx 2060

Ram: 16gb ddr4 hyper x fury 2666 @ 3000mhz

Case: Fractal design focus G

PSU: EVGA 600bq

Storage:Samsung 860 evo 500gb, 2tb wd Black

Display: Aoc G2590fx 144hz 1080p

Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KyrusDLT said:

Still, if it's a problem with the legs I'm guessing I'll just change my cooler. I think that's better than just using the stock one.

Grab yourself a 212 evo if you want a cheap replacement 


 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

The stock intel cooler isn’t great but with stock clock speeds it shouldn’t hit 100c like it’s doing. 

For some reason it’s getting super hot. What case are you using and what do you have for intake/exhaust fans ? 

When I ran a stock cooler on my i7 2600k, any amount of dust on it would make it throttle in open world games.

The Intel tower cooler I replaced it with was just as bad. 

Their fin designs seem to trap dust and the Noctuas I use now don't. 

 

The higher the airflow the faster the dust accumulates. 

 


RIG#1 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti FTW3 ULTRA | PSU: Corsair CORSAIR AX860W | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB


RIG#2 CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 ti XC | PSU: Corsair RMx1000W | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×