Does a riser like this exist?

Sonefiler

I'm looking for a riser that allows me to combine two PCIe Gen3 x4 ports into one x8 port, so I can run a graphics card off of it with no throttling. Does this exist, anywhere?

I'm trying to find one, but it's basically the exact opposite of the popular cryptocurrency risers that people are buying in droves, so I'm having a hard time finding anything.

(Sorry if this is the wrong category. Didn't really know where to ask this other than here.)

Thank you!!

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I have never heard of the existence of such a riser and I'm willing to bet it doesn't. At least even if it does I severely doubt it'd be compatible with modern systems.

x4 Gen3 is capable of 3.94GB/s. Assuming your GPU is Gen3 compatible I'm willing to bet you won't see much loss in most games. It may be noticeable in artificial benchmarks though.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I have never heard of the existence of such a riser and I'm willing to bet it doesn't. At least even if it does I severely doubt it'd be compatible with modern systems.

x4 Gen3 is capable of 3.94GB/s. Assuming your GPU is Gen3 compatible I'm willing to bet you won't see much loss in most games. It may be noticeable in artificial benchmarks though.

I agree that it probably won't matter. However, I saw the opportunity and thought that it might be cool to try it. If this idea were to come to fruition, two M.2 X4 ports would be converted to PCIe, then combined to power a graphics card, all from a STX motherboard (147x140mm). Just thought it would be super super cool if it were possible to make it entirely no-compromises. 

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

4 minutes ago, Sonefiler said:

I agree that it probably won't matter. However, I saw the opportunity and thought that it might be cool to try it. If this idea were to come to fruition, two M.2 X4 ports would be converted to PCIe, then combined to power a graphics card, all from a STX motherboard (147x140mm). Just thought it would be super super cool if it were possible to make it entirely no-compromises. 

I'm thinking for that technology to exist (and it could or does) it would require a dedicated controller in between the motherboard and the GPU. This controller would make it indistinguishable between the GPU and the motherboard.

The motherboard would see two x4 devices.

The GPU would see a full x8 slot.

Unfortunately this technology adds latency and I don't know how badly that would impact gaming. A similar technology is used for HDD known as a hardware RAID controller just it operates the other way around.

Also unfortunately chances are you'll only find this in the enterprise if it exists at all and with that it has an enterprise price-tag. (although eBay would always have you back)

@leadeater Would you happen to know if something like this exists?

Not that I know of, crazy things like this exist. However you would only be able to do it using PCIe slots that come off the same PCIe port and root complex. So you wouldn't be able to combine PCIe lanes from one of the ports of the CPU and one off the chipset. CPU also has multiple PCIe port outputs and I don't think combing across those is possible either, you can split an x16 link in to two x8 but I don't think you can take an x4 off one string and another off a different string to make an x8. I don't know, I don't think most systems would like this being done if it's possible.