Which fan connector for CPU socket ?

saminam

Hi im going to buy the noctua D15 Cooler. I have 2 questions.

AM4  Cooler  - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NC06ZYT/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38F5RZ72I2JQ

Basic Cooler - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L7UZMAK/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38F5RZ72I2JQ

Which one makes more sense to go for ? I cant really see any difference other than the am4 socket one comes without the LGA bracket (i have an am4 mobo) The am4 one would take longer to deliver but if thats the only difference i will obviously go for the quicker one. But aside from that is there actually any difference between the 2 ? 

Secondly once i order it im unsure which fan goes into the cpu fan socket and which one goes into the system fan socket. Those are basically my 2 questions i appreciate any replies.The cooler is designed for high clearance RAM so i should be fine seeing as i have normal ram and the RAM stick would have to be massive to touch the cooler.

Edit: I will add my rig incase you are wondering

When AM4 was new on the market, most CPU coolers didn't have the appropriate bracket included. They do now, unless you get a box from 2 years ago.

I wouldn't spend the extra money/time on the specifically AM4 cooler.

You can connect both fans to the CPU fan header, using the fan splitter cable that is included in the box:

image.png.329397a992566b4f77cb2cc2ec83f04b.png

Be sure to use the low noise adapters in the correct way though:

image.png.753ae4252d845066ec1d6cbef999e45b.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, Minibois said:

When AM4 was new on the market, most CPU coolers didn't have the appropriate bracket included. They do now, unless you get a box from 2 years ago.

I wouldn't spend the extra money/time on the specifically AM4 cooler.

You can connect both fans to the CPU fan header, using the fan splitter cable that is included in the box:

image.png.329397a992566b4f77cb2cc2ec83f04b.png

Be sure to use the low noise adapters in the correct way though:

image.png.753ae4252d845066ec1d6cbef999e45b.png

Thank you for the reply man. By use the low noise adapters you mean fan plug>noise adapter>mobo socket ? Sucks i missed that but thanks again. Everythings looking fine as iv just found evidence that the clearance for the ram is 100% going to fit. Can i quickly make sure that both fans are supposed to pull air through and neither should be pointed any other way.

2 minutes ago, saminam said:

Thank you for the reply man. By use the low noise adapters you mean fan plug>noise adapter>mobo socket ? Sucks i missed that but thanks again. Everythings looking fine as iv just found evidence that the clearance for the ram is 100% going to fit. Can i quickly make sure that both fans are supposed to pull air through and neither should be pointed any other way.

Both fans have a cable. These two cables go into the Y-Splitter cable. If you wish to use the low noise adapter, first plug the low noise adapter into the fans, then into the splitter cable. Then plug that splitter cable into your motherboard.

Also, I am not sure what exactly are you asking with the fan question. Fans typically have a little graphic stamped onto them showing you where direction the fan turns and where the air goes.

Image result for pc fan arrow

You could use this to see how the fans move. Of course have them move together with your airflow, not against it. That typically means have them exhaust air towards the back of the PC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Both fans have a cable. These two cables go into the Y-Splitter cable. If you wish to use the low noise adapter, first plug the low noise adapter into the fans, then into the splitter cable. Then plug that splitter cable into your motherboard.

Also, I am not sure what exactly are you asking with the fan question. Fans typically have a little graphic stamped onto them showing you where direction the fan turns and where the air goes.

Image result for pc fan arrow

You could use this to see how the fans move. Of course have them move together with your airflow, not against it. That typically means have them exhaust air towards the back of the PC.

Gotcha. Can i ask why i should use the low noise adapters ? they seem to be pointless when i can manually change the settings. From what i have managed to read they seem to be for motherboards where you cant manually change the rpm

7 minutes ago, saminam said:

Gotcha. Can i ask why i should use the low noise adapters ? they seem to be pointless when i can manually change the settings. From what i have managed to read they seem to be for motherboards where you cant manually change the rpm

They're for people who don't otherwise have fan control. If you have have access to good pwm control, don't use them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're for people who don't otherwise have fan control. If you have have access to good pwm control, don't use them.

Thanks for the input. I think im ready to go for it. also appreciate the reply in my older thread but think im gonna go with the NHD15.