Help me make a 9900k rig

Puffing
19 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Yep, that's 100% true. I don't think he listed that as a use-case, though. He only said Premiere Pro. @Puffing, will you also be using other Adobe products? That will affect the recommendations. 

I will be using other adobe products but mainly premiere pro.

Here is a list of what the I will be doing:

1 recording games with obs and streaming 1 time a week

2 editing videos 1080p in premiere pro almost daily, using some effects

3 making a thumbnail using photoshop, very light use (may get heavy In the future)

4 possibly illustrator

5 uploading videos on YouTube... i don’t think this matters.

6 games vary

my current system is a 7700k, 1060 3gig, 32gb ram, I can use the ram in new build. I have been told that I should stick with this build but I want a new computer.

2 hours ago, Puffing said:

I can use the ram in new build

This changes things!

Now we can comfortably fit in the 9900K! That's the best of all worlds:

17 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

This changes things!

Coool thanks

25 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

This changes things!

The problem I have with this is upgradability... how long would this pc last without needing an upgrade? What the would be the first upgrade in this path, does it need one?

1 minute ago, Puffing said:

The problem I have with this is upgradability... how long would this pc last without needing an upgrade? What the would be the first upgrade in this path, does it need one?

Unfortunately this one is the top of the food chain, there's no higher currently. Current rumors have the next Intel chips on a new chipset, so there is indeed a chance that there is no upgrade path from here. However, I do honestly think that you won't feel the need for an upgrade for several years.

If you are that concerned with the upgrade path, you don't have much choice but to go with AMD. Zen2 is soon, and any board you get for it will hold an upgrade path through whatever is released next year. After that, AMD is likely changing the socket as well. So essentially you have nowhere to go from the 9900K, and you have 1 more generation probably from AMD. 

12 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Unfortunately this one is the top of the food chain, there's no higher currently. Current rumors have the next Intel chips on a new chipset, so there is indeed a chance that there is no upgrade path from here. However, I do honestly think that you won't feel the need for an upgrade for several years.

If you are that concerned with the upgrade path, you don't have much choice but to go with AMD. Zen2 is soon, and any board you get for it will hold an upgrade path through whatever is released next year. After that, AMD is likely changing the socket as well. So essentially you have nowhere to go from the 9900K, and you have 1 more generation probably from AMD. 

Ok so really by the time I need a new cpu it will be time to build a new one right? I like the build and i do hint it will be what the I do but... about how much % will I gain from the 7700k. and will the cooler be good for a 4.9 oc?

Ok so really by the time I need a new cpu it will be time to build a new one right?

In all likelihood, yes.

about how much % will I gain from the 7700k.

In premiere pro and other productivity workloads, about a 40% - 60% gain. In gaming, roughly a 35% gain.

13 minutes ago, Puffing said:

and will the cooler be good for a 4.9 oc?

Yep, it's one of the best on the market.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:59 AM, xg32 said:

i have the 8600k, i know what games bottleneck it, and you are showing benchmarks of a 9400F vs a 2600x, it does NOT dip below 100 on 9700k or 9900k (i play on 144)

the 9600k bottlenecks plenty of current games. you can't just pull the average frame rate and say there's no bottleneck, doesn't work that way, playing division 2 on a 8600k is terrible during fights and it doesn't happen on the 9900k. Of course alot of this doesn't matter below 85fps, so it depends on what the target fps is (op has already stated he's playing on 1080p), i would not use a zen+ or a 9600k for 144hz on modern/future triple AAA titles, it's gonna choke right out the gate. The very video you linked shows a very clear cpu bottleneck.

Edit: i just ran around in-game a bit, 8600k=100% usage, dipping into the low 90s (if theres anything in the background at all it's gonna be MUCH worse, even a youtube vid), while the 9900k dips into about 110, i monitor the usage and it's not a gpu bottleneck, There are times where even the 9900k goes up to 75%,usage (65% just standing around), some cores approaching 100%, if there was a faster cpu available it's likely that the minimum fps goes even higher (hoping zen 2 delivers).

I had a 8600k, with a 1070 it was only at ~50% in div 1. That was ~100-130fps, so max would be ~200-260 in DIV1. if div 2 is twice as hard to run, stil 100-130 fps.

6 hours ago, Puffing said:

6 hours ago, jerubedo said:

I agree. It would take a crystal ball to determine what an upgrade path would look like from a 9900k.

That said, this thing should be a render machine for years to come.

Is any part of your process boosted by a powerful GPU? If you straight up don't game, the 2070 could be excessive spending. It is a great GPU though. I do like that DUKE cooling model in the parts lineup.

16 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I agree. It would take a crystal ball to determine what an upgrade path would look like from a 9900k.

That said, this thing should be a render machine for years to come.

Is any part of your process boosted by a powerful GPU? If you straight up don't game, the 2070 could be excessive spending. It is a great GPU though. I do like that DUKE cooling model in the parts lineup.

Hows this

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $484.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $0.00
Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card $359.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1072.96
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1042.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 14:30 EDT-0400  

7 hours ago, Puffing said:

Hows this

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $484.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $0.00
Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card $359.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1072.96
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $1042.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 14:30 EDT-0400  

Some ideas to that:

• WD Blue M.2 is just a SATA M.2 drive. It's not offering anything more than a 2.5" SATA SSD would. This Intel 660p is NVMe for the same price, which will offer a boost in creative computing over that one. If you don't like the look, you can actually buy a $5 M.2 heatsink on amazon that will cover it up. :P
  • Solid board, so you can let the CPU stretch its legs
  • The Vega 64 is closer in performance to an RTX 2070, has more VRAM for any GPU intensive processes, and it costs about the same as an RTX 2060. This is the better cooler for the Vega lineup.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, trevb0t said:

Some ideas to that:

• WD Blue M.2 is just a SATA M.2 drive. It's not offering anything more than a 2.5" SATA SSD would. This Intel 660p is NVMe for the same price, which will offer a boost in creative computing over that one. If you don't like the look, you can actually buy a $5 M.2 heatsink on amazon that will cover it up. :P
  • The Vega 64 is closer in performance to an RTX 2070, has more VRAM for any GPU intensive processes, and it costs about the same as an RTX 2060. This is the better cooler for the Vega lineup.

Ok so that looks sweet but now that we know the specs of Ryzen 3000 should I wait?

2 minutes ago, Puffing said:

Ok so that looks sweet but now that we know the specs of Ryzen 3000 should I wait?

It's pretty safe to say that if you can wait, you should.

The announcement was pretty much what everyone was hoping for, so we will see hopefully what guys like Steve at GamersNexus can do with them before the official launch and decide from there.

The 3700X and 3800X look awesome for the high budget Workstation/Gaming guys.

The specs are not really meaningful. One has to wait for independent benchmarks for good comparisons. The wait should be less than 6 weeks. If you do not have a pressing need for a new system, wait. But don't expect a quantum leap in performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

The specs are not really meaningful. One has to wait for independent benchmarks for good comparisons. The wait should be less than 6 weeks. If you do not have a pressing need for a new system, wait. But don't expect a quantum leap in performance.

Ok I have the patience to wait and I will, hopefully it pays off

On 5/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, trevb0t said:

Some ideas to that:

I looked a pudg t systems benchmarks and the Vega 64 is worse than a 1060 in premiere pro? Is this wrong because I would like something better than a 1060.

4 hours ago, Puffing said:

I looked a pudg t systems benchmarks and the Vega 64 is worse than a 1060 in premiere pro? Is this wrong because I would like something better than a 1060.

It's not wrong. Nvidia cards do way better in Premiere Pro because of CUDA acceleration. The 1660 Ti is the best sweet spot for Premiere Pro. Anything beyond that has severe diminishing returns. The 2060 or 2070 would be great for a mixed build for gaming and Premiere Pro.

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

It's not wrong. Nvidia cards do way better in Premiere Pro because of CUDA acceleration. The 1660 Ti is the best sweet spot for Premiere Pro. Anything beyond that has severe diminishing returns. The 2060 or 2070 would be great for a mixed build for gaming and Premiere Pro.

Ok :)