The 15-inch MacBook Pro Gets 8 Cores! Apple Refreshes the MacBook Pro Lineup to Include 8-Core Intel Parts

PlayStation 2
59 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I don't mind a thin-and-light mobile workstation -- I just think Apple needs to use more aggressive cooling (or at least, more efficient chips)

Thin and light=very poor cooling capacity, if they want better cooling they need to make it thicker(or they need a delta fan but that thing sounds like a jet :D ).

Edited by jagdtigger

Turns out that even with this redlining performance, the new MacBook Pro is leading the pack in terms of rendering performance. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Thin and light=very poor cooling capacity, if they want better cooling they need to make it thicker(or they need a delta fan but that thing sounds like a jet :D ).

Not necessarily... and besides, some people want a mobile workstation that won't be a pain to carry.  I've been in that position, it's not fun to lug a 7-pound clunker around town (or even across a campus).

28 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Not necessarily... and besides, some people want a mobile workstation that won't be a pain to carry.  I've been in that position, it's not fun to lug a 7-pound clunker around town (or even across a campus).

I once borrowed an HP ZD8000 for a couple months in between laptops. Pentium 4 in a "mobile" chassis with a massive brick of a power supply (easily outweighing many laptops today), which you absolutely needed owing to the ~20 minutes of battery life. The 17" laptop I later got in 2010 really felt like a featherweight by comparison.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

I once borrowed an HP ZD8000 for a couple months in between laptops. Pentium 4 in a "mobile" chassis with a massive brick of a power supply (easily outweighing many laptops today), which you absolutelt needed owing to the ~20 minutes of battery life. The 17" laptop I later got in 2010 really felt like a featherweight by comparison.

Exactly!  Laptops have gotten better over time, of course, but there's still something to be said for a thin-and-light workstation you can actually carry.  Part of why I'm a Mac user today is that the Windows laptops available in my university days were split either between ungainly, battery-hogging beasts and ultraportables that make today's 12-inch MacBook seem like a powerhouse.  Apple managed to put out slim laptops that were still reasonably fast and didn't strain my back on the way to class.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Exactly!  Laptops have gotten better over time, of course, but there's still something to be said for a thin-and-light workstation you can actually carry.  Part of why I'm a Mac user today is that the Windows laptops available in my university days were split either between ungainly, battery-hogging beasts and ultraportables that make today's 12-inch MacBook seem like a powerhouse.  Apple managed to put out slim laptops that were still reasonably fast and didn't strain my back on the way to class.

Currently, I own a $100 RCA Atom laptop. While used is certainly a option I considered, I wanted to fill a niche of ultra portable, cheap (as in, if this gets stolen or broken, it's not a big deal), and usable battery life (something the used market didn't service at the time). I don't really need anything more powerful as anything this device can't handle gets relegated to my desktop, and for the most part (due to no home internet), this device serves a valuable role as intermediary for my desktop. Full size USB port is also a wonderful thing to have, even in an underpowered device because I transfer files quite frequently.

For most people though, I certainly would not recommend anything with an Atom cpu. Keeping a tight ship is pretty essential to squeezing reasonable speed out of the thing. While I'd love to get ahold of the 12" Macbook, there is nothing about it that warrants the price for the desired role.

My eyes see the past…

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For most people though, I certainly would not recommend anything with an Atom cpu.

Especially not when you can get pentium at a similar price(its not that more expensive compared the performance difference)...

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Especially not when you can get pentium at a similar price(its not that more expensive compared the performance difference)...

Probably. For the role I needed to fill though, Atom performance is perfectly sufficient, and battery life (keeping in mind this was several years ago) is highly important. At this point in time, there certainly were not many x86 devices that will last a day or more of moderate usage while remaining close to the $100 mark (or even below the $200 mark). I can even power the device from a standard cell phone power bank via Micro USB.

The Atom series is decent enough for a cheap, pragmatic utility device which is all I need from a laptop. For general usage though, you want a big core Pentium or better as the performance begins to outweigh battery life here (or step up your price).

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Turns out that even with this redlining performance, the new MacBook Pro is leading the pack in terms of rendering performance. 

Funny how an i9 performs better at the same clock as the i7's.  It's almost like the extra Intel charge is for a performance increase.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Funny how an i9 performs better at the same clock as the i7's.  It's almost like the extra Intel charge is for a performance increase.

Apple truly does make a better space heater than Dell, Razer, HP, etc.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, jagdtigger said:

I actually did try a custom gaming oriented laptop that was barely bigger than my ASUS GL502 (considered to be fairly normal sized by today's standards although for a 17-incher, it's pretty thin and light). 

It's probably the only laptop I've used that maintained its cool during a sustained AIDA64 FPU and GPU stress test. That one had a 9750H and an RTX 2060.A

I don't think it's entirely impossible to create a thinner machine with more acceptable thermals. Apple just doesn't seem to be arsed to engineer their way around it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

I actually did try a custom gaming oriented laptop that was barely bigger than my ASUS GL502 (considered to be fairly normal sized by today's standards although for a 17-incher, it's pretty thin and light). 

It's probably the only laptop I've used that maintained its cool during a sustained AIDA64 FPU and GPU stress test. That one had a 9750H and an RTX 2060.A

I don't think it's entirely impossible to create a thinner machine with more acceptable thermals. Apple just doesn't seem to be arsed to engineer their way around it. 

With that huge heat sink on the back no wonder it can cool itself down... xD My current laptop is a HP 15-cx0004nh which isnt perfect either but it can keep the max temps around 85 °C when rendering.

With that huge heat sink on the back no wonder it can cool itself down... xD My current laptop is a HP 15-cx0004nh which isnt perfect either but it can keep the max temps around 85 °C when rendering.

It's not that huge, actually. 

It's about 23.5mm thick 

20190518_173023.thumb.jpg.b69f9303a0c21951e51b055490ca7cb8.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:52 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

Following your logic why did Apple upgrade the MacBook Pro with an 8-core? Did it sell so poorly that an 8-core option had to be made available just so it sells?
No - it's called progress. As a techie yourself you should kind of know that :P

That doesn't change the fact that the amount of space inside is very similar and miraculously Microsoft managed to squeeze a quad-core i7 inside that's perfectly usable and is faster than any dual-core. This argument started about cooling a quad-core inside of a MacBook Air and is now about entirely different things because I debunked the cooling myth with undeniable proof...

I would also like to point out that the MacBook Air is both heavier AND thicker than the Surface Pro (even with an i7 inside, that model is 14 grams heavier than the i5 variant).

where is this proof ? and if its so undeniable why is every apple repair guy ever saying that they have no idea how to cool or properly build their shit ?. i don't like apple, but not because of the way they look cost or work. i hate apple for their insanely profound politics in the repair aspect of their hardware and the hilariously shit design. 

50 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It's not that huge, actually. 

It's about 23.5mm thick 

20190518_173023.thumb.jpg.b69f9303a0c21951e51b055490ca7cb8.jpg

And occupies almost all the space on the back... ;)

I didn't know people live in houses that were constrained to the point where a laptop's thickness made a difference, I think you need to get a new place ?

7 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

The cooling solution in the laptop chassis itself, yeah.

But on the table? Nah. It’s about as big as a 15.6” standard laptop would be in 2011-2016.

5 hours ago, SilverSoul said:

I didn't know people live in houses that were constrained to the point where a laptop's thickness made a difference, I think you need to get a new place ?

I dont have problems with chunky laptops... :D