The 15-inch MacBook Pro Gets 8 Cores! Apple Refreshes the MacBook Pro Lineup to Include 8-Core Intel Parts

PlayStation 2

Stuffing an 8-core in a machine that already has cooling issues (not to mention other design flaws such as the keyboard) doesn't seem like the most amazing idea, but it'll sell well I'm sure.

Honestly, I wish Apple would go balls to the wall and build a desktop replacement. They could make it a bit thicker than current MacBook Pros and put a Core i9 and a Vega 48, 56 or 64 with a proper cooling system and a 4K 17 inch screen. That would be really cool, though I get that it probably wouldn't sell well.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Still with potato gpus for the price tag. No wonder the iPhone is keeping them a float.

....So how's the keyboard!? Is Apple using the same dreaded butterfly key switches? If so...then that's a bigger problem than thermals! It defeats the purpose of having a laptop in the first place. 

Maybe the best solution to the heating issue is this: image.png.208c13f6bddd077d15f8941ef7bb7011.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Maybe the best solution to the heating issue is this: image.png.208c13f6bddd077d15f8941ef7bb7011.png

phase change thermal pad desk for the macbook pro wouldnt be a bad idea. 

just skimp on the cooling while claiming you need the desk to experience the advertised performance

13 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Meh, save up for a few months 

I am not an adult so I cant buy it I will need to save for years.

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

welp, even less place to squeeze cooling and such into it. 

If you're talking the MBA, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If you're talking the MBA, yes.

im talking the Surface Pro which needs to squeeze an LCD (that generates heat) into a chassis that also needs to contain a quadcore and a inbuilt kickstand. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

m talking the Surface Pro which needs to squeeze an LCD (that generates heat) into a chassis that also needs to contain a quadcore and a inbuilt kickstand. 

The Air needs to house the components and display in separate housings that takes up more space than a kickstand.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Air needs to house the components and display in separate housings that takes up more space than a kickstand.

even accounting for the shell for the display, the Macbook air is still thicker. 

there isnt anything that makes it impossible to fit a 15 watt quadcore. they just didnt do it because it would probably worsen then average batterylife of the macbook air. which is, surprisingly average. if that is why they did it, then sure. 

Macbook air is still thicker. 

At its thickest point. It still needs to house the trackpad and keyboard as well.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there isnt anything that makes it impossible to fit a 15 watt quadcore.

Don't put words in my fucking mouth. I said it doesn't have the internal volume for the 15W quadcores. It does not. Apple decided to use as much usable space as possible for the batteries.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

At its thickest point. It still needs to house the trackpad and keyboard as well.

the macbook is also wider and deeper. volume is probably very similar on both of them. 

Don't put words in my fucking mouth. I said it doesn't have the internal volume for the 15W quadcores.

except it does have enough volume. did i put words in words in your mouth? sorry if i did, that was none of my intentions. 

It does not. Apple decided to use as much usable space as possible for the batteries.

and while the, physically smaller, Surface Pro 6 boasting essentially identical batterylife. and the surface Pro 6 has a smaller footprint (chassis only) while also having to integrate the screen into the system. 

they most likely did use most of the space for batteries, while also choosing a less powerful chip to draw less power. and what is stopping apple from tweaking a quadcore into running on 7w max. they do this with the quad and hexacore to keep their boost better. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the macbook is also wider and deeper. volume is probably very similar on both of them. 

except it does have enough volume. did i put words in words in your mouth? sorry if i did, that was none of my intentions. 

and while the, physically smaller, Surface Pro 6 boasting essentially identical batterylife. and the surface Pro 6 has a smaller footprint (chassis only) while also having to integrate the screen into the system. 

they most likely did use most of the space for batteries, while also choosing a less powerful chip to draw less power. and what is stopping apple from tweaking a quadcore into running on 7w max. they do this with the quad and hexacore to keep their boost better. 

At this point, it's just trolling. I've linked a tear down that shows every usable bit of space not used for logic or heat sink being used for batteries.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Well, the 8-core 15 inch simply doesnt make a lot of sense.

If you need an 8-core for your tasks, most likely you need an iMac at that point and your tasks are MacOS specific.

But i think for people who are saying 'oh it will thermal throttle' well of course it will. Just look at xps 15 and surface book 15, they pretty much thermal throttle as well. But IMO using 6-core still make sense since people who uses 15-inch mbp basically uses it for professional purposes or use it as their sole machine and generally people who own mac would hold on to them for a very long time

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

At this point, it's just trolling. I've linked a tear down that shows every usable bit of space not used for logic or heat sink being used for batteries.

great. we also know the surface pro has similar batteryscore and that Apple can and have done in software tweaking to adjust CPU TDP. 

16 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Apple can and have done in software tweaking to adjust CPU TDP. 

The Air uses a 7W TDP. Other chips TDP down to 10W.

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

we also know the surface pro has similar batteryscore

No, Microsoft rates them similarly to Apple, but those rates don't hold up, nor does the battery after a year of daily use (either due to poorly made batteries or updates over the years).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, Microsoft rates them similarly to Apple, but those rates don't hold up, nor does the battery after a year of daily use (either due to poorly made batteries or updates over the years).

in testing, they perform similarly, i dont give a damn about what they rate them for. 

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Air uses a 7W TDP. Other chips TDP down to 10W.

and what is stopping them from lowering powerconsumption even more. a 1,2ghz base clock chip never hurt anyone. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

and what is stopping them from lowering powerconsumption even more.

There is no reason to.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

There is no reason to.

why not? you get more performance. 8 threads to play with. and similar power consumption. 

i mean the only reasonable thing is that they chose a dualcore to lower powerconsumption. 

You know what? More interesting than that (yes, more interesting than these...hot plates, which whether they did something under the hood or these will be serving as room heaters), that they once again (what is it now, "Gen4"?) tweaked the keyboard and right away added all 2018 and these 2019 Macs to a keyboard service program (link here) and that is a very good thing.

i mean the only reasonable thing is that they chose a dualcore to lower powerconsumption

Lower heat. Substantially lower heat.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Lower heat. Substantially lower heat.

not neccesarly by tweaking TDP. 2 extra cores does not mean double the heat. 

the sane reason behind it is batterylife, because the current state of the macbook air isnt that impressive in that regard. 

We will see, however they will still let it run at 90°C, just below TjMax...

As a teen, I've had to change thermal pastes for all laptops, not just from Apple. Every device experiences anywhere between an 8 degree to 20 degrees temperature drop just using cheap arctic silver paste.

Uh, I was really hoping for a redesign of the Macbook pro. It seems like this is just a refresh.

They seriously need to redesign the whole thing from the ground up to have better thermal performance, and resolve the design issues with the keyboard once and for all.

At this rate, my next laptop will definitely NOT be a Macbook. Still happy with my Macbook pro retina from 2013 at the moment. I don't think I would buy the current model.