Phone Theft/Loss Prevention - Tips/Tricks/Advice

kaddle

do you have any tips/tricks/advice to aid in preventing phone theft and misplacement. this also includes advice to find a lost or stolen phone.

as for me, well... my phone. i bought this phone late last year. i was going to buy a oneplus 6 but their tagline told me "never settle", so i bought a note 9 instead. it was my first experience buying a phone for myself, and before that i was using a super lame phones.

i'm going camping in about a few days. it's an indoor camping experience and i am going as part of a church group. i frequented this church ever since i was about 15 years old, so i generally trust these people. i just don't want there to be a reason for me to distrust them. also if there really is someone whom i should not trust, i want to be ready to deal with that. therefore i need to make sure that i have ways to prevent my phone from getting lost or stolen. also to get my phone back if the worst happens.

17 hours ago, kaddle said:

i'm going camping in about a few days.

its your choice to carry valuable items with you, there is no practical security measures. anyone can reset your phone in no time.

bring along with your old nokia phone instead, no value to steal

6 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

its your choice to carry valuable items with you, there is no practical security measures. anyone can reset your phone in no time.

bring along with your old nokia phone instead, no value to steal

i know that simply not bringing the phone is an option. i'm not that worried about it and i need to bring it. the main reason why i decided to go on this trip is so that i can take pictures of the sights. whenever i went on trips before, i always regretted not having a good camera with me.

what i'm getting at is that i would like to take measures to reduce the odds of my phone getting lost or stolen while i'm there, or learn of ways that i can get it back.

by the way, would you mind elaborating about anyone being able to reset my phone in no time? wouldn't they need access to the power button as well as my password?

8 hours ago, kaddle said:

by the way, would you mind elaborating about anyone being able to reset my phone in no time? wouldn't they need access to the power button as well as my password?

I think the first thing a thieve do is take out your sim, disconnect internet and turn it off, dispose the case. you can not trace it by any means. 

(there is some sort of gps tracker sticker but its so obvious anyone will notice)

password/ good security may protect data inside.

but most phone have a hard recovery mode to factory reset it  (usually power + vol +home)  if the recovery is protected by password, then connect to pc and flash a new rom like a bricked device.

You must keep a google account connected. If it is ever lost, you can find it using device manager. Also, most of the new phones have FRP lock so resetting it will lock it further down.

i thought of and learned of various ways to aid in phone theft/loss prevention.

the way you holster your phone has an impact on theft/loss prevention.

if you leave your phone in your pocket, this can have different pros and cons depending on how good your pockets are. deep pant pockets towards the front of the pants are likely the most difficult to pickpocket from and the most difficult to have the phone fall out of your pants.

keeping your phone in your bag is probably a hit or miss. most people would avoid checking other people's bags in public areas. if they have been watching you and waiting for you to leave your bag in a secluded area, it will simple for them to take your bag or your phone from your bag without incident.

a phone pouch that hooks to the belt is likely the best balance. a good phone pouch will never let your phone fall out, and it's often very easy to be aware of its presence which will help you keep track of it. when standing up, your arm may often rub against it which prevents anyone from attempting to steal it. depending on the size of the pouch and the size of your shirt, you can often completely hide it while sitting down, so no one else will be aware of it. you may be able to hide it while standing up depending on what you are wearing.

if you always have your earphones in while listening to music, you will know whenever your phone drops or is taken because your music will stop playing.

always playing loud music will make it so that you can find your phone by hearing the music if it is dropped or taken. at the same time, loud music will alert everyone in your vicinity to the presence of your phone.

there is a good app that i have been testing over the last couple of days called Anti-Theft Alarm. i have it on an android device, not sure about ios. you can customize a unique pin code or pattern to use with the app, you can customize the alarm sound, alarm timer, etc.

you can set it so that the alarm will trigger whenever your phone charger is taken out of your phone, whenever your phone is removed from a closed space (like your pocket or a pouch), whenever the sim card is being removed, or whenever your phone is moved at all from the location that the alarm was activated.

the alarm will continue to go off at maximum volume until the pin or pattern is entered.