Game Server To-Go

Hi LTT forum!

This is my very first post on the forum so, hi everyone!

Now, to the topic. Originally, I wanted to send this text (that I'm about to write) as a video idea for LTT, but I figured this might be a good discussion for the forum. As I was watching the SPUD review on Floatplane and the Gemini Portable Monitor on YT, it came to my mind, that, with super small form-factor computers like the Intel NUC, and server managers (?) like LinuxGSM that let's you install and run Linux-based servers for tons of games included CS:GO and Minecraft in a "1-tap" fashion, How viable would a "Portable" game server would be?

12 hours ago, theelectroclassic said:

Hi LTT forum!

This is my very first post on the forum so, hi everyone!

Now, to the topic. Originally, I wanted to send this text (that I'm about to write) as a video idea for LTT, but I figured this might be a good discussion for the forum. As I was watching the SPUD review on Floatplane and the Gemini Portable Monitor on YT, it came to my mind, that, with super small form-factor computers like the Intel NUC, and server managers (?) like LinuxGSM that let's you install and run Linux-based servers for tons of games included CS:GO and Minecraft in a "1-tap" fashion, How viable would a "Portable" game server would be?

Unless where you are going doesn’t have good fast internet then it would be good but you could also host it on the computer of someone that is gaming

On 5/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, mtz_federico said:

Unless where you are going doesn’t have good fast internet then it would be good but you could also host it on the computer of someone that is gaming

Sure but what I'm shooting for is for a concept that can be done "because you can". I mean, of course there's going to be easier solutions to that (Minecraft and CSGO allow it, just to mention them).

Would probably be easier to use a gaming laptop as the "server" since the monitor keyboard mouse are all together and travels easily.

A stack of NUCs in a 3D printed rack to serve as a 10 gamer 1 stack would be interesting, I think. One of the NUCs could be said game server / steam cache, DHCP/DNS, Media storage (plex server even) etc... Somebody on reddit did a 3D printed rack of Pis, was pretty cool.