VGA and hdmi dual monitor help

Sebastian77

Hello, I have my current monitor set set up to only one hdmi out coming from my graphics card into my first monitor... my second monitor only has vga and I’d like to use is if I buy a converter from vga to hdmi and put in my motherboard hdmi slot will it work?

Don't your graphics card has more than one output? Using the same GPU for dual monitor would generally be a better option as the iGPU consumes your system RAM (You didn't even mention your CPU model, which may or may not come with an iGPU. If no iGPU, motherboard display output won't work). And yes, a HDMI to VGA output converter will work.

This is not such simple becouse most active and cheap converters have very low pixel clock - 124 Mhz (1.2 HDMI limitation) and they was made in purpose to connect LCD monitors at max 1080P 60 Hz, so his max res for CRT would be 1024x765 100 Hz.

CRT monitors need at least 85 Hz or better 100 Hz, to have flicker free image. I just bought better one for 20 USD (Logilink 4K Displayport) which had advertised as up to 4K2K 30Hz (248 Mhz pixel clock) and his max working resolution usable to CRT user is 1600x1200 85 Hz (244 Mhz).

The best one avaiable on market is Sunix DPU3000-D3 which is working with any resolution and refreshion avaiable in CRT monitors (reported by users >500 Mhz pixel clock). Having USB-C we can use much cheaper ones for 8 USD ex: Sunix C2VC7A0 for 7 USD which shoud work up to 1920x1200 95 Hz (ex.  having Sony 24 FW-900). Info from: 24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments - post #16338

Becouse that I am using GTX 960 (soon will buy 970), to still have ability to play on my CRT monitors. If somebody wants only using them to 2D work, then buying old graphic card with VGA or DVI-I for ex. 10 USD is good option too.

So please do not spread info to CRT users like: yes - HDMI to VGA converter will work, when not using one with such monitor. 99% avaiable convertes are not working with more then 1024x765 100 Hz res having only HDMI 1.2 or have not good enough converters.Those working now with higher res are not using HDMI, but Displayport or USB-C.

edit. Pozdrawiam Seba

13 hours ago, rickymohk said:

Don't your graphics card has more than one output? Using the same GPU for dual monitor would generally be a better option as the iGPU consumes your system RAM (You didn't even mention your CPU model, which may or may not come with an iGPU. If no iGPU, motherboard display output won't work). And yes, a HDMI to VGA output converter will work.

My graphics card only has one hdmi out but does have one dvi could I use that on my second monitor, because like I mentioned I would use the vga converter to hdmi and put that in my hdmi slot on my motherboard but I feel like I would run into an error and my cpu is a i7 8700k

2 hours ago, Sebastian77 said:

My graphics card only has one hdmi out but does have one dvi could I use that on my second monitor, because like I mentioned I would use the vga converter to hdmi and put that in my hdmi slot on my motherboard but I feel like I would run into an error and my cpu is a i7 8700k

My first question is: Sebastian name looks like Polish one ? If so I can help You in this language, becouse description of Your problem is very hard to understand. As people said: what card do You have, what exactly monitor ? We are asking becouse DVI can be DVI-I (digital + analog signal), DVI-D and rarely DVI-A. If You have DVI-I, then connecting could be done by passive adapter for about 2 USD without any problems.

So You have HDMI connected to one monitor and DVI is not occupied ? By the way about what converter You are speaking, which can be slotted into motherboard ? I do not know any. Please give us a link to such device.

Waiting for info about your computer.

Ex: mine are:

card: GTX 970

connected to Dell P1230 (with 2 VGA ports) on DVI-I to VGA by passive adapter

to Gateway EV910 (with 1 VGA port) on Displayport to VGA by active adapter

to Sony KDS 55A2000 TV on HDMI (which have 2 HDMI and one VGA)

to projector Epson EH-TW5200 (etc.)on Displayport to HDMI by passive adapter

Hello, I’m not polish haha but that would be awesome... do you have a discord for me to talk to you on I think a call would help the solution

I can explain to you all of my parts and what is connected