New Monitor 1440p 144hz or 1080p 240hz

cminion718

I have a decent setup but will be upgrading mobo, cpu and ram once the new ryzen 3700x comes out. I have a i5 6600k overclocked to 6.6ghz all core boost, 32 gb ddr4 corsair vengance 3000, radeon VII video card. I play some competitive and some not but i am not super competitive in the games.I want to make fun montages from recording games to share with friends and maybe get a little following. I am disabled and with some of my back problems my hands do not always want to work 100% perfect so its hard for me to be competitive. I mostly just play for fun and these are the current games i am playing. fortnite , sea of thieves, satisfactory, diablo 3, waiting for a good mmo to, and division 2. Future games im looking at would be like borderlands 3, maybe getting back into overwatch again, mmo like lost ark or a good sandbox mmo that comes out.

I gave this info because this is the question i had. I have 1080p 144hz monitor and my 2nd monitor that does not have vesa mount is 1080p 60hz. I just got a dual monitor stand because i planed on upgrading and moving my corrent 144hz monitor to be my 2nd monitor. My 144hz monitor is Asus VG248QE and what i am planing on doing is making my new main display either 1080p 240hz or 1440p 144 - 165 hz ( matters on what monitor i settle on. ) . My question is should i go for the 240hz 1080p or 1440p 144hz? I do like my 24 inch screen and i sit about 3 ft away when at my desk. I have to lean back in my chair some to take pressure off my back i can not sit up strait. 

If i go 1440p 144hz the few monitors i found in my price range at max 400$ i see mixed reviews on the few i have been looking at. My list right now is

Dell s2719DGF

Acer XF270HU ( worried because i am use to 1ms TN panel and this one is 4ms and heard that there is a difference 144hz on tn vs IPS as tn is still faster. )

VIOTEK GFT27DB (2019 TN panel version ) 

Mbest SM270QHD165 ( a korean no name that has some good reviews but colors not best and affraid to get because would like a decent warranty. )

I have done a lot of research and it is possible i overlooked some but these are what i have come up with so far over the past few weeks of reading and watching reviews. I really want to keep 1ms and 144hz at least with being able to play most games at 100fps or higher and for the few that drop in the 80s make sure i have freesync since i have never had that before either. My cpu holds back my gpu a lot in several games but i know that will get a big boost with the 3700x i am getting.

I hope all these made sense as my head is a little fuzzy atm and ty for anyone that can give me any advice. let me know if i need to clarify anything up.

1. 6.6ghz? Is that intended to be 4.6? If not, I believe you've got to hold a world record there on something.

2. Monitors and refresh rates are something that are really subjective. Personally, I can tell a difference between 60-120, but 120-144, I struggle with, 144-240 is functionally identical to me. Others are able to clearly, easily, and reliably distinguish between 144-240 (I believe our very own Edzel is capable of this, if I remember correctly).

3. I find 3440x1440 to be the sweet spot for high(er) end gaming panels. It has some of the advantages of 4k (over 1080p) without the performance hit you get with 4k. I don't have experience with ultrawides, so I can't make comment.

I'd suggest, if you can get hands-on, test some of the monitors you're looking at in person, that's going to be the best way to get a feel for what you want.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

20 minutes ago, Semper said:

1. 6.6ghz? Is that intended to be 4.6? If not, I believe you've got to hold a world record there on something.

2. Monitors and refresh rates are something that are really subjective. Personally, I can tell a difference between 60-120, but 120-144, I struggle with, 144-240 is functionally identical to me. Others are able to clearly, easily, and reliably distinguish between 144-240 (I believe our very own Edzel is capable of this, if I remember correctly).

3. I find 3440x1440 to be the sweet spot for high(er) end gaming panels. It has some of the advantages of 4k (over 1080p) without the performance hit you get with 4k. I don't have experience with ultrawides, so I can't make comment.

I'd suggest, if you can get hands-on, test some of the monitors you're looking at in person, that's going to be the best way to get a feel for what you want.

lol i ment 4.6ghz, sorry im sick today and my head is very foggy. i can never go below 144hz , 60hz looks like a slide show after getting use to 144hz. i do not want a ultra wide just a 1440p normal size :P i do not know where i can find in person unless the bestbuy happens to have those models on display. i will look around though see if i can find a place to see. problem with that is to i cant see games or things i look at they usually just have preset thing going but even looking at the desktop im sure i can see a difference. ty for advice so far that is what i was thinking was hands on just hard to find any good ones near me. ill drop by best buy soon see if they have anything worth a crap to look at.

I went from a junk TN LG 24" 1080p144 to a 27" VA MSI MAG27CQ 1440p144, I heavily contemplated going 240hz but I figured since I don't have the latest and greatest cpu there really wasn't a point since I rarely get 200fps+ unless it's like CS:GO or another older game.

Stepping up to 1440p and 27" was a really nice bump and in most games I generally get around 120-150fps in 1440p depending on how poorly multithreaded the game is. I've even found myself to strain my eyes less and lean into the screen far less with the bump in size and resolution.

If you don't have the space and specifically want 24" monitors for the smaller footprint, yeah I'd probably go 240hz. 1080p is starting to phase out though and I don't imagine in another 10 years it would be remotely as useful as a monitor as a 1080p monitor from 10 years ago is at this moment. If you primarily play games which could really use the refresh rate, 240hz would also be more useful.

12 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

I went from a junk TN LG 24" 1080p144 to a 27" VA MSI MAG27CQ 1440p144, I heavily contemplated going 240hz but I figured since I don't have the latest and greatest cpu there really wasn't a point since I rarely get 200fps+ unless it's like CS:GO or another older game.

Stepping up to 1440p and 27" was a really nice bump and in most games I generally get around 120-150fps in 1440p depending on how poorly multithreaded the game is. I've even found myself to strain my eyes less and lean into the screen far less with the bump in size and resolution.

If you don't have the space and specifically want 24" monitors for the smaller footprint, yeah I'd probably go 240hz. 1080p is starting to phase out though and I don't imagine in another 10 years it would be remotely as useful as a monitor as a 1080p monitor from 10 years ago is at this moment. If you primarily play games which could really use the refresh rate, 240hz would also be more useful.

i looked at va at first but the bad responce times had me worried since im use to 1ms.it is the same reason that one ips i was worried to get. i have space for 27 inhes i sit 3 ft from monitor to eyes. the eye strain lowered would be nice i already wear glasses. i am just affraid monitor will make my eyes have to move around screen to much. how was it for you?

I haven't noticed the response time at all, what I noticed was the significant decrease in color banding and a significantly better panel overall compared to a TN that I'm pretty sure was too far overdriven on a cheap uncommon panel. I'm just not really a fan of TN and find the colors to really suck as I've primarily used VA panels in the past.

I sit about 18-20" from my monitor generally so the bump in resolution is much more obvious for me, I haven't noticed any issues with too much eye movement but I can't wear my glasses with screens. The increased size seems to help with this since my second monitor which the furthest edge of is about 30" away is where things become harder for me to see.

Monitors are really subjective though so just like keyboards and mice you'll probably just have to try them out.