How practical is 1 CPU 2 Gamers?

RyanPGUK

Me and my partner are going to be upgrading next year and I wanted to know just how practical is the 1 CPU 2 Gamers approach?

Are there any pro's/con's?

Any help or generic guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if u dont even know the answer to that question , dont even bother with it ;v its not that simple to setup, and that doesnt include al the problems that come with it

I think this is quite a poor answer. I've setup something like this before for a temporary amount of time, i've also got 2 unraid servers for different purposes. However I'm trying to investigate the benefits of it if any...

Just get 2 separate setups.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Cost shoots up exponentially when core count goes up. R5 2600 costs $145, TR 2920X, essentially a pair of R5 2600 glued together (and better bin so it overclocks a tad better), costs $600. Even the 9600k, a much better gaming CPU than the R5 2600 when the GPU is good enough, costs $250.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

With the right hardware, very.

Not a perfect setup, and I would recommend bare metal over virtualization for the average consumer, but I would never discourage you from trying.

I am not running "2 gamers", per-sey, but I am running 2 virtualized systems off of one tower. Nothing fancy either. An 8 core CPU and 16GB of RAM splits nicely into two 4c/8GB RAM setups. One gets a beefy GPU for gaming and the other gets a less powerful one really only to be used as video out, but its compute is still useful.

am, however, upgrading to 32GB RAM and one of the rumored 16c/32t Ryzen CPU's should they ever surface. This would allow me to leave 8 cores and 16GB for the gaming rig, and then split the remaining 8 cores and 16GB RAM in two to allow a tri-system setup with the third setup being a macOS KVM as Linus demonstrated.

The largest drawback is probably power consumption of a build powerful enough to run a 1 CPU X Users setup. It does not nicely scale to equal that of 2 systems. As my build sits (specs in bio), it supposedly consumes 710W. Mind you, I used Outervision which is known for making you feel well endowed about your power consumption, but the point stands to be made that that is still well more than double that of a normal box.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

34 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Cost shoots up exponentially when core count goes up. R5 2600 costs $145

Except you could realistically run two gaming VMs on a Ryzen 5. You'd have to rely on threads to a certain extent, but you could probably get by. It wouldn't be pretty and Ryzen 7 would definitely be recommended, though.

50 minutes ago, RyanPGUK said:

Me and my partner are going to be upgrading next year and I wanted to know just how practical is the 1 CPU 2 Gamers approach?

Are there any pro's/con's?

Any help or generic guidance would be greatly appreciated.

It really depends on space and budget, I would say.

I could do that in my basement for me and my brother, but it wouldn't make sense because we easily have the space for two separate gaming machines.

Budget comes into play a little bit. If you can afford two gaming rigs, that'll be more pleasant for everyone than having to set up and configure a 2 gamers/1 CPU setup.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, RyanPGUK said:

just how practical is the 1 CPU 2 Gamers approach?

4/10, it can work but I don't recommend it.

The cost of building 2 computers isn't much higher and you'd be saving yourself a lot of effort.

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Except you could realistically run two gaming VMs on a Ryzen 5.

Yes, but you'd need 3 graphics cards - one for the host and two for the virtualized guests. Even if you get a trash tier card for the host it still has to take up the first pcie slot which means at least one of the "beefy" cards would have to settle for a lower speed slot - and motherboards with 3 full size slots are not cheap either.

43 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

am, however, upgrading to 32GB RAM and one of the rumored 16c/32t Ryzen CPU's should they ever surface. This would allow me to leave 8 cores and 16GB for the gaming rig, and then split the remaining 8 cores and 16GB RAM in two to allow a tri-system setup with the third setup being a macOS KVM as Linus demonstrated.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that you need to "split" the cores - it all depends on what you're running, and even if you peg all VMs the scheduler will take care of balancing the load on the physical cpu. You can assign all cores to all virtual machines and have them coexist pretty peacefully.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes, but you'd need 3 graphics cards - one for the host and two for the virtualized guests. Even if you get a trash tier card for the host it still has to take up the first pcie slot which means at least one of the "beefy" cards would have to settle for a lower speed slot - and motherboards with 3 full size slots are not cheap either.

I've noticed that most high end ATX boards have them, however they're usually not all electrically x16 slots.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I think it's a bit of a misconception that you need to "split" the cores - it all depends on what you're running, and even if you peg all VMs the scheduler will take care of balancing the load on the physical cpu. You can assign all cores to all virtual machines and have them coexist pretty peacefully.

I am planning on running Unraid, which to my knowledge requires allocating/splitting cores to every VM.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

2 hours ago, RyanPGUK said:

just how practical is the 1 CPU 2 Gamers approach?

not very

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Depends on what you need.

But in short, not very.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I would vote against it - but it would really depend on a lot of things. Which cpu? What games? what resolutions? what gpus? what frame rate targets? (also... why?)

This depends on what you want to do with this PC. If it's just text editing or simple daily work, some $200~500 cpu on 2 in 1 is very efficient on a limited budget. But if you want to play 3a games or do video , 2in1 may be more expensive than buying 2 computers.

6 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I am planning on running Unraid, which to my knowledge requires allocating/splitting cores to every VM.

KVM doesn't require it, and as far as I know that's what Unraid uses - there may be some Unraid specific restrictions but in theory nothing prevents it.

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've noticed that most high end ATX boards have them, however they're usually not all electrically x16 slots.

Exactly, and as you said most high end boards have them

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So it is viable if you pick the hardware for it.

The thing is you still need double everything except CPU , motherboard, psu, and case.

Now the thing is by the time you invest in a CPU and motherboard that has the optimum cores and pci-e lanes... then you would have probably built two machines for less or around the same price.

Alternatives that would be less headache;

1. Build a pair of matching ITX systems if space is a concern.
  2. Use a dual system case, ATX + ITX.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

I think that there's use cases if you know how to do with with reasonable hardware. If you go big and your starting point is a Threadripper then it's not feasible vs 2 systems.

However say you want one main, mid to top range rig and a secondary one that is more than just a virtualized one and can actually do some light gaming.

That use case would fit very well for something as simple as a 2700 rig with a 1560ti and a 1050ti on it: You could do 4/8 and 4/8 but I would actually consider 5/10 and 3/6 or even 6/12 and 2/4 if the secondary virtualized machine is just a very light gaming proposition then you really are only investing in another GPU and using everything else off the main rig.

This kind of thinking is very cost effective but you have to come it with the expectation than a 1050ti/1650 or so is about the best you can actually get performance out of without really needing to bump up your main rig.

I think that Ryzen 3 would probably change this by quite a bit: if we can get 12 or 16 core chips at reasonable prices then you can potentially just invest a tiny bit more on a beefy PSU and get away with a lot more performance. But for the time being my rationale would be taking a high end/top tier rig and saying "Can I sacrifice a few cores and some PSU juice to powering a secondary machine without going up to HEDT set up?"

-------

Current Rig

-------

49 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I think that there's use cases if you know how to do with with reasonable hardware. If you go big and your starting point is a Threadripper then it's not feasible vs 2 systems.

However say you want one main, mid to top range rig and a secondary one that is more than just a virtualized one and can actually do some light gaming.

That use case would fit very well for something as simple as a 2700 rig with a 1560ti and a 1050ti on it: You could do 4/8 and 4/8 but I would actually consider 5/10 and 3/6 or even 6/12 and 2/4 if the secondary virtualized machine is just a very light gaming proposition then you really are only investing in another GPU and using everything else off the main rig.

This kind of thinking is very cost effective but you have to come it with the expectation than a 1050ti/1650 or so is about the best you can actually get performance out of without really needing to bump up your main rig.

I think that Ryzen 3 would probably change this by quite a bit: if we can get 12 or 16 core chips at reasonable prices then you can potentially just invest a tiny bit more on a beefy PSU and get away with a lot more performance. But for the time being my rationale would be taking a high end/top tier rig and saying "Can I sacrifice a few cores and some PSU juice to powering a secondary machine without going up to HEDT set up?"

Zen2/Ryzen 3 will certainly make or break OP's question in terms of the average person.

Everything in my build I got for well under retail value (except the CPU), so I got out way ahead.

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Zen2/Ryzen 3 will certainly make or break OP's question in terms of the average person.

Everything in my build I got for well under retail value (except the CPU), so I got out way ahead.

How do you get stuff for less than retail value, do you just mean used stuff or like stuff on sale? 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

15 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

How do you get stuff for less than retail value, do you just mean used stuff or like stuff on sale? 

Used market, sales, e-waste.

16 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

it supposedly consumes 710W. Mind you, I used Outervision which is known for making you feel well endowed about your power consumption, but the point stands to be made that that is still well more than double that of a normal box.

That build only uses about 350-400w, when you run your cpu at stock 65w then it will use 65+150+150=365w + lets say 35 w for the rest of the system, but that is only the peak power.

In normal use it will be closer to 150-250w.

Also it is not logical that it is double that of a normal box. The only thing that is different is that 1 extra gpu, the rest will still use the same amount of power.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.