Mobo bios dead? Crosshair VI Hero

So, another computer problem stemming from my motherboard, but this one's a kicker.

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x

RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 32GB, (17-15-15-35)

GPU: Vega 64 LC

In total, the computer is about 2 years old and it started having random crashes. It started with post code 8, and would flash a yellow light. I looked around and couldn't find anyone crashing mid-game with the same errors. I ended up swapping my vega through RMA, and the problem continued. Memtest86 told me the RAM was fine, and seatools tells me my HDD is fine. 

I decided to update the bios from version 0902 to 7002.

I went through the bios EZ update utility, updating from my flash drive. It said the process was complete and restarted the computer.

I got an error code E1 with a solid red light. The computer now does not boot.

I tried to do a bios flashback, and that too does not work. The ROG lighting is working, and my keyboard is getting USB power. Not sure what's going on. I called ASUS and they couldn't tell me what was wrong, so I decided to ask here.

My goal here is to get the bios flashback working, to load version 7002 or 6903. 

I used both FAT and FAT32 for the flashback, got a solid light both times.

Renamed the bios to C6H.CAP, it didn't work either.

File is placed in the correct directory.

Any ideas?

1 minute ago, Doctor_Nova said:

So, another computer problem stemming from my motherboard, but this one's a kicker.

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4-3000, (17-15-15-35)

GPU: Vega 64 LC

In total, the computer is about 2 years old and it started having random crashes. It started with post code 8, and would flash a yellow light. I looked around and couldn't find anyone crashing mid-game with the same errors. I ended up swapping my vega through RMA, and the problem continued. Memtest86 told me the RAM was fine, and seatools tells me my HDD is fine. 

I decided to update the bios from version 0902 to 7002.

I went through the bios EZ update utility, updating from my flash drive. It said the process was complete and restarted the computer.

I got an error code E1 with a solid red light. The computer now does not boot.

I tried to do a bios flashback, and that too does not work. The ROG lighting is working, and my keyboard is getting USB power. Not sure what's going on. I called ASUS and they couldn't tell me what was wrong, so I decided to ask here.

My goal here is to get the bios flashback working, to load version 7002 or 6903. 

I used both FAT and FAT32 for the flashback, got a solid light both times.

Renamed the bios to C6H.CAP, it didn't work either.

File is placed in the correct directory.

Any ideas?

Not owning your board, but having had updated other AM4 mobos (did  ASRock B450 last night) - I know for a fact the steps on ASRock state if you aren't running X drivers for display output, and not updating to CERTAIN bios revisions FIRST will brick the board.

I.E. I went from 1.5 with the correct display driver (you can see all this on ASRocks web page) upgraded to 1.8 (says if you bypass 1.8 to anything above it you will brick the board) and then update to 3.2. Any other order would have caused an issue.  Also it stated that doing these updates remove the ability to use my previous BIOS flash. 

I found it all BS too.

bios.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Not owning your board, but having had updated other AM4 mobos (did  ASRock B450 last night) - I know for a fact the steps on ASRock state if you aren't running X drivers for display output, and not updating to CERTAIN bios revisions FIRST will brick the board.

I.E. I went from 1.5 with the correct display driver (you can see all this on ASRocks web page) upgraded to 1.8 (says if you bypass 1.8 to anything above it you will brick the board) and then update to 3.2. Any other order would have caused an issue.  Also it stated that doing these updates remove the ability to use my previous BIOS flash. 

I found it all BS too.

bios.PNG

Thanks for the quick reply, I read through the bios support menu, and it had no mention of this. I don't think that this should be a problem since the 1800x has no gpu attached to it. Whatever the case,the board still seems functional since it has a post code.

Edit: Support menu does in fact state that you should update the chipset drivers. I called asus about this and they said it should not have been a problem.

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

reflash the bios USB port on the back

already did that, multiple times, with multiple configurations, on the BIOS usb port.

6 minutes ago, Doctor_Nova said:

already did that, multiple times, with multiple configurations, on the BIOS usb port.

E1 - S3 Boot Script execution

most likely bricked board, are u sure that ryzen chip was fully supported by the mobo when flashing? because its possible a mobo can get bricked if u use a cpu that wasnt supported in current version, and try to flash using that cpu

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

E1 - S3 Boot Script execution

most likely bricked board, are u sure that ryzen chip was fully supported by the mobo when flashing? because its possible a mobo can get bricked if u use a cpu that wasnt supported in current version, and try to flash using that cpu

My computer has worked for about 2 years prior to this. It was compatible.

1 minute ago, Doctor_Nova said:

My computer has worked for about 2 years prior to this. It was compatible.

a cpu will work if it isnt fully supported yet, but will brick a board when u flash with it...

ur version bios 0902

cpu version SUPPORTED SINCE 1002, thus chance of bricking when flash

u will need a cpu known to run on bios version 0902 to flash it i guess, only way to unbrick in most cases

(◑‿◐)

I also tried to flash my bios to 7002 and there is the same probleme. PC has rebooted and now stuck wird POST-Code E1. Also tried the BIOS-Flashback-Button after shutting down the PC but nothing changed.

Has anybody found a solution to fix this?

10 hours ago, JustAGuyFromGermany said:

I also tried to flash my bios to 7002 and there is the same probleme. PC has rebooted and now stuck wird POST-Code E1. Also tried the BIOS-Flashback-Button after shutting down the PC but nothing changed.

Has anybody found a solution to fix this?

Hi,

I updated my BIOS today as well.  Got the E1 code...What I did was put the C6H.CAP file on a USB stick and put it in the back side USB BIOS slot on the motherboard.  I then held the USB BIOS Flashback button for three seconds on the back of the board as the power turned on.  

The computer then began loading in the new BIOS (takes a few mins) then finally posted. 

I also only had one stick of memory in the board (B2) slot when I did this.

My E1 error code went away and I now have 7002 successfully loaded.  Hope this works for you.

Did you remove the CPU before attempting the USB Flashback?  I thought that was the whole point, in terms of the advantage of it.  If there is a CPU that isn't compatible.. you can update the BIOS without any CPU connected?  I am going to be needing to do this process soon, in terms of.. I just bought this motherboard and will need to flash the bios before connecting the 2700X.

Perhaps there are a few other options you could try, in terms of clearing CMOS, or removing the CMOS battery.. draining the caps of the PSU.. and having it completely reset.. and then trying to patch it.. with no CPU connected.

There is another problem with this latest BIOS (with Asrock Taichi for example).. once you go to a BIOS that's for the next gen AMD CPU's.. you can't go back.  But it seems this only applies to Asrock.. as Asus makes no mention of this, and it seems with the poster above me, that this wasn't an issue for him.

Asus Crosshair VI Hero here also, tried updating to BIOS 7002 and received the E1 error, tried running the Bios Flashback repeatedly, with new and previous BIOSes but it wouldn't work. Here are the steps I took to resolve my issue:

Step 1. Do this to your USB drive:

DISKPART:

Open a command prompt window as Administrator and use diskpart to format your usb drive.
I used a 1gig USB 2.0 drive.

Type... and press enter after every line in the command prompt

diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the number of the usbdrive) *please be careful not to select your C drive
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

Step 2.

Now place renamed BIOS file version 7002 on usbdrive *copy the BIOS file and the BIOSRenamer into your usbdrive and run the program to rename it. Then delete the renamer program leaving only the BIOS file "C6H.cap" on the usbdrive.

Step 3.

Clear your CMOS by turning off PSU (unplug it or flip the PSU power switch to off) and wait for all lights to go out. Then press clear CMOS button on the back of the motherboard for three seconds. Then plug in or switch your PSU back on. 

Step 4.

Plug your usbdrive into the usb port named BIOS, hold the BIOS button for 3 seconds and it will begin to flash blue. It should continue to flash blue, it will not be solid anymore. Give it a few minutes and the button will then go dark. Unplug your usbdrive and press your case's power button or the Start button on the motherboard. It will take a minute, it will restart but eventually it will prompt you to set up the bios by pressing F1 on keyboard.

This worked for me, I hope it works for you all.

Best of luck.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, iam-8bit said:

Best of luck.

I just wanted to say thank you: I had given up and was about to go out and buy a new motherboard, but this worked for me and now I am back in business. I truly appreciate you taking the time to post the steps. Cheers!

Wish I would have read this earlier. Can't fix it with this. Probably bricked the system. 

Good job on that BIOS asus

Edit... Putting it on an exFat drive worked.

I had the same issue with the bios and i had tried doing the diskpart but it didn't work for me either. But i formatted again using windows format put in fat not fat 32. Loaded the bios flash 7002 and the BIOSRenamer  in to the USB memory stick run the program to rename it. The memory stick I used  was only 256mb usb2 (one of my very old memory USB stick) and it worked for me happy days now.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, iam-8bit said:

Asus Crosshair VI Hero here also, tried updating to BIOS 7002 and received the E1 error, tried running the Bios Flashback repeatedly, with new and previous BIOSes but it wouldn't work. Here are the steps I took to resolve my issue:

DISKPART:

Open a command prompt window as Administrator and use diskpart to format your usb drive.

diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the number of the usbdrive) *please be careful not to select your C drive
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

Step 2.

Now place renamed BIOS file version 7002 on usbdrive *copy the BIOS file and the BIOSRenamer into your usbdrive and run the program to rename it. Then delete the renamer program leaving only the BIOS file "C6H.cap" on the usbdrive.

Step 3.

Clear your CMOS by turning off PSU (unplug it or flip the PSU power switch to off) and wait for all lights to go out. Then press clear CMOS button on the back of the motherboard for three seconds. Then plug in or switch your PSU back on. 

Step 4.

Plug your usbdrive into the usb port named BIOS, hold the BIOS button for 3 seconds and it will begin to flash blue. It should continue to flash blue, it will not be solid anymore. Give it a few minutes and the button will then go dark. Unplug your usbdrive and press your case's power button or the Start button on the motherboard. It will take a minute, it will restart but eventually it will prompt you to set up the bios by pressing F1 on keyboard.

Best of luck.

Thought I owned a new brick. Thank you so much for this mini guide. Up and running again because of it. Again, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 9:01 AM, iam-8bit said:

DISKPART:

diskpart
list disk
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

Step 2.

Step 3.

Step 4.

Best of luck.

You Sir... If you ever happen to come to Berlin, you have a cozy couch and a chilled Beer Waiting for you. Thank you very very much!