Compressed Air vs Electric Duster

xKyric

Greetings! I have diminished my supply of compressed air and am seeking an alternative for those dreaded cans.  

I'm considering a XPOWER duster as a substitute, but I am worried about the risk of ESD. This duster works similar to a blower dryer, in that it sucks in and expels air.

From what I've heard, as air is transported through the duster, particles can brush against each other resulting in a charge. Is this charge powerful enough to damage components?

Here's the link to the duster: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=sr_1_1keywords=electronic+duster&qid=1558375330&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Any input is certainly appreciated. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

1 minute ago, xKyric said:

Greetings! I have diminished my supply of compressed air and am seeking an alternative for those dreaded cans.  

I'm considering a XPOWER duster as a substitute, but I am worried about the risk of ESD. This duster works similar to a blower dryer, in that it sucks in and expels air.

From what I've heard, as air is transported through the duster, particles can brush against each other resulting in a charge. Is this charge powerful enough to damage components?

Here's the link to the duster: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=sr_1_1keywords=electronic+duster&qid=1558375330&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Any input is certainly appreciated. 

Datavac.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

It’s kind of expensive but it moves goatloads of air and is ESD safe

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, GrockleTD said:

Datavac.

I've also looked into the Davavac, but I have heard that air tends to leak though cracks in the device. Also, it's more expensive than the XPOWER duster. Although, if it's safer for my components than the XPOWER, I'll favor it, 

-Discord

I don't know about electric dusters, but we've just always used our big ass air compressor at a low psi and from a distance. I highly doubt an electric blower is shooting enough electricity to damage components. I'm also assuming you're talking about PC components which are generally pretty ESD safe, since anything that would be that sensitive you wouldn't allow to get dusty in the first place.

#Muricaparrotgang

just get an air compressor with a good nozzle you can find them for around $60-80 and they will have more the single use. Combine that and a decent paint brush with stiffer bristles that should be all you need.

This is what I used at a PC repair shop I worked in. the paint brush we used was cut down to make it stiffer. 

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Horizontal-Campbell-Hausfeld-FP209499AV/dp/B002O15NRS/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=air+compressor&qid=1558376896&s=gateway&sr=8-7 

To be honest I find the canned air to be more effective and consistent than any kind of fan-based blower. Compressed air can also generally be used in an office situation without adding the whine of a DC motor and the associated fan noise.

The cans only disadvantage in my eyes is that extended use chills them, which decreases their effectiveness for a bit.

1 hour ago, xKyric said:

I've also looked into the Davavac, but I have heard that air tends to leak though cracks in the device. Also, it's more expensive than the XPOWER duster. Although, if it's safer for my components than the XPOWER, I'll favor it, 

I have an XPOWER and it's been nothing but amazing. 

MSI Prestige 15

i5 10210u - 8GB DDR4 2666MHz - GTX 1650 Max-Q - 500GB SSD

Hinges still intact!

I have the cheap white one off Amazon. I love it, cleans out my PC in a minute or two, just enough before its thermal cutout trips and it has to cool.

I would just buy it, it is 10x less hassle than cans, better for the environment and is more effective.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 5/20/2019 at 11:18 AM, xKyric said:

What cracks? That thing is airtight and pretty much bullet proof. ESD won't travel mor than a mm or two in air so, as long as you don't actually touch anything with it, there is no way any highly unlikely static charge can discharge. It's so powerful, I don't even use any attachments other than the largest nozzle it has and hold it a few inches away from the computer while blowing.

I bought my DataVac before the XPOWER came out  and don't regret getting it. Even though the DataVac cost more, I still recommend it because I know from my experience and the experiences of many people online that the thing is reliable and long lasting and will still eventually pay for itself.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Thanks for everybody's responses! I've manged to borrow an air compressor, so I'll use that for the time being. 

-Discord