My very first build

4 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

For a few quid more this is better if you are wanting Intel/Nvidia.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£361.98 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (£36.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£126.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£73.98 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.71 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC WHITE Video Card  (£684.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.22 @ Aria PC) 
Custom: Corsair CP-9020187-UK 750 W RM750x Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - White  (£114.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1513.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-21 14:48 BST+0100

so i was looking at my options and i came across something interesting

looking at this on gpucheck it says that the Ryzen 7 2700x is a bottleneck? it is the same with a 2060 or 2080

looking at youtube comparisons it also seems that the Ryzen 7 outputs less frames compared to the i7 (8C/16T vs 6C/12T)

why is this the case? is it the clock speed?

image.png.7c7856c79a537ae5f58f7b95b3087c11.png

I wouldn't take any notice of websites like that to be honest. 

20 hours ago, lee32uk said:

For a few quid more this is better if you are wanting Intel/Nvidia.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£361.98 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (£36.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£126.48 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£73.98 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£34.71 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC WHITE Video Card  (£684.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.22 @ Aria PC) 
Custom: Corsair CP-9020187-UK 750 W RM750x Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - White  (£114.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £1513.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-21 14:48 BST+0100

One question, will that cooler handle the 9700K at 4.9GHz?

I plan on enabling the multicore enhancement setting to put all cores at max turbo

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

I wouldn't take any notice of websites like that to be honest. 

Really? I looked over the site and it seems as though they are pretty rigorous in their testing.

27 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Really? I looked over the site and it seems as though they are pretty rigorous in their testing.

I would rather rely on a review from somewhere like Gamers Nexus than a general benchmark website. 

3 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

One question, will that cooler handle the 9700K at 4.9GHz?

I plan on enabling the multicore enhancement setting to put all cores at max turbo

It is rated as up to 210W TDP. The 9700K doesn't run as hot as the 9900K. If you wanted something higher end then go with a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua D15 etc.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

I would rather rely on a review from somewhere like Gamers Nexus than a general benchmark website. 

It's not exactly a benchmark site. Here is what they say:

"... We compare the complete build and focus on frames per second performance in the 3 main gaming resolutions 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. Our algorithms have been carefully designed and validated by studying the best graphics benchmarking review results in the web. Sites that are truly authentic such as: tomshardware.com, techpowerup.com, techspot.com, anandtech.com, and more of the same level of authenticity to validate our results in GPU scaling, CPU bottlenecking, and impact of performance...."

"How do we compare and rank these graphics cards?

Real-world game benchmarks are used to determine the rankings of these graphics cards. We always look for performance in Frames Per Second, not TFLOPS or GB/s or other specification theoretical numbers that are meaningless for the gamer. Our GPU benchmark results are measured against the user preferred gaming resolution and game quality settings. We have sophisticated algorithms that have been carefully designed to produce 90% accurate estimates of gaming performance based on analyzing over 70,000 benchmark tests. Although graphics card performance varies greatly among different games, this comparison chart provides a general ranking index for graphics cards. In addition to our own graphics cards benchmarks, we use various trusted sources for validating gaming benchmarks including TechPowerUp, TomsHardware, AnandTech, TechSpot, and many more."

I thought zen 2 was going to be in July?

4 hours ago, Bearmann said:

It's not exactly a benchmark site. Here is what they say:

"... We compare the complete build and focus on frames per second performance in the 3 main gaming resolutions 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. Our algorithms have been carefully designed and validated by studying the best graphics benchmarking review results in the web. Sites that are truly authentic such as: tomshardware.com, techpowerup.com, techspot.com, anandtech.com, and more of the same level of authenticity to validate our results in GPU scaling, CPU bottlenecking, and impact of performance...."

"How do we compare and rank these graphics cards?

Real-world game benchmarks are used to determine the rankings of these graphics cards. We always look for performance in Frames Per Second, not TFLOPS or GB/s or other specification theoretical numbers that are meaningless for the gamer. Our GPU benchmark results are measured against the user preferred gaming resolution and game quality settings. We have sophisticated algorithms that have been carefully designed to produce 90% accurate estimates of gaming performance based on analyzing over 70,000 benchmark tests. Although graphics card performance varies greatly among different games, this comparison chart provides a general ranking index for graphics cards. In addition to our own graphics cards benchmarks, we use various trusted sources for validating gaming benchmarks including TechPowerUp, TomsHardware, AnandTech, TechSpot, and many more."

It does seem somewhat better than the majority of sites like that, but I am still not a fan of them in general. There are some awful ones like those 'bottleneck' calculator websites that should never have seen the light of day.

21 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

Ryzen 7 outputs less frames compared to the i7 (8C/16T vs 6C/12T)

This much is true. Most games still utilize a faster single core speed over multi cores. 

Thus far Ryzen still loses that race, but does win in the multi core race. So if it's a gaming computer, Intel does tend to pull higher frames. 

The 9700k is a fine choice. 

You don't need a 12 core for gaming. If you are waiting for Ryzen 3xxx then the 8 core R7 3700X/3800X should fit the bill.

11 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

so zen 2 got announced..

could I fit the 12 core cpu somehow ? at a £1500 budget, since idk if the 3800X will be better (gaming wise)

It was shown, and it's pretty cool from what we've seen. It was a fairly catered view, so we will still need to wait and see what the reviewers make of it closer to release. Look specifically to GamersNexus for those overclocking results! 

We also (as far as I know) don't have pricing available for the B550/X570 series boards so pricing wise it's hard to say.

12 cores is unnecessary, though if it's just gaming.

If you can wait: Do so

If not: an i7 is still a great choice, since AMD really only boasted a ~1-2% victory in the single core performance, and didn't show a whole lot of real game use.

If you plan to use this for creative/workload purposes, then definitely wait up for the 3700X

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while... I've looked at many different benchmarks and I've decided on the Ryzen 7 3700X.

Here's what I came up with: 

Is this a decent build?

Also I'm not sure whether I should go for 3600 RAM instead of 3200. Should I go for a B450/X470 motherboard to allow for 3600 RAM?

The RTX 2070 Super is a better buy right now. Due out on the 22nd of this month.

Also if you don't mind losing the RGB Ram this 3600 kit is the same price.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£318.78 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  (£43.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£181.72 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (£89.99 @ Corsair UK) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£36.18 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card  (£529.99 @ Box Limited) 
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£69.98 @ Box Limited) 
Total: £1340.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-11 18:19 BST+0100

4 hours ago, Tyrion007 said:

So it's been a while... I've looked at many different benchmarks and I've decided on the Ryzen 7 3700X.

Here's what I came up with: 

Is this a decent build?

Also I'm not sure whether I should go for 3600 RAM instead of 3200. Should I go for a B450/X470 motherboard to allow for 3600 RAM?

Well, at 1080p the Intel i7-9700K is still king over the Ryzen chips, but at 1440p the difference is insignificant.

Here's why you don't want the 12 core Ryzen:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=unyD3Qdh7Kc&feature=youtu.be&t=242

Here's why you may want to stick with the Intel 9700K:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVUdpcKZMA&t=855s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ2X1y0jvw

22 minutes ago, Tyrion007 said:

@lee32uk @Bearmann @trevb0t

is this a good deal? its cheaper than the 2070 super

I was gonna wait for 2080 super but came across this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JBXV2XQ/?tag=pcp0f-21&th=1

I think the RTX 2080 is a little better than the 2070 Super. You can see them compared here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-vCnUC7bM&t=3s

1 hour ago, Bearmann said:

I think the RTX 2080 is a little better than the 2070 Super. You can see them compared here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-vCnUC7bM&t=3s

nvm someone beat me to it