PCIe 4.0 wont be supported on B450, X470 and older chipsets

porina
Go to solution Solved by porina,

Pre-X570 boards will not support PCIe Gen 4. There's no guarantee that older motherboards can reliably run the more stringent signaling requirements of Gen4, and we simply cannot have a mix of "yes, no, maybe" in the market for all the older motherboards. The potential for confusion is too high. When final BIOSes are released for 3rd Gen Ryzen (AGESA 1000+), Gen4 will not be an option anymore. We wish we could've enabled this backwards, but the risk is too great.

Robert Hallock, Ryzen product manager

via https://www.anandtech.com/show/14477/amd-confirms-pcie-4-not-coming-to-older-motherboards

PCIe 4.0 now NOT coming to older motherboards. 

We don't even really have any PCIe devices so this doesn't really change anything. People with the money to buy new PCIe 4.0 stuff probably have the money to buy a new motherboard too. I know my RX 580 is overkill for the games I play, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade just because of the label ?‍♂️

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Pre-X570 boards will not support PCIe Gen 4. There's no guarantee that older motherboards can reliably run the more stringent signaling requirements of Gen4, and we simply cannot have a mix of "yes, no, maybe" in the market for all the older motherboards. The potential for confusion is too high. When final BIOSes are released for 3rd Gen Ryzen (AGESA 1000+), Gen4 will not be an option anymore. We wish we could've enabled this backwards, but the risk is too great.

Robert Hallock, Ryzen product manager

via https://www.anandtech.com/show/14477/amd-confirms-pcie-4-not-coming-to-older-motherboards

PCIe 4.0 now NOT coming to older motherboards. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

I think the amount of people that will be affected by this is basically 0. I don’t know of a single GPU that can fully saturate a PCIe 3.0 16x connection. I’m pretty sure even 4x is enough.

I concur with your observation but i would like to add that with especially the last generation of games i have the feeling there are a still a lot of mysteries concerning data transfer and reported information.
" its quantum my old teacher would say "
i wouldn't be surprised if there is absolutely no relation between saturation rates and bandwith

they could have it as an option still. they just need to put a disclaimer in the bios saying it's not guaranteed to work. 

She/Her

Doesnt matter.

good board partners will still "unofficially" support 4.0, then we shall know who is pulling us back

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i think the original idea was to have the board vendors test the connection and enable the switch to those that "passes" o_o

(which is like another degree of uncertainty because i'd think backtesting things like these may cause vendors to pass a few that's barely stable just to say more of their boards work)

that's why the disclaimer. that covers the potential instability. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Doesnt matter.

good board partners will still "unofficially" support 4.0, then we shall know who is pulling us back

In this case I don't think even board vendors can make it work. AMD controls the firmware for the CPU and the AGESA for the board. 

I doubt many are affected by the lack of a PCIE 4.0 slot or two anyway.

will it bring back the trend for board makers to build a new a320 budget board for r3000 if all these new features are hardly achievable?

Title should be "AMD decides not to enable".

Yeah when I heard that the older boards would support 4.0 was pretty surprised and that it would be impossible to do in the first place. Well it looks like they wont support it like I had figured from the start. 

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's probably for the better, anyways: AM4 has enough PCI-E issues to begin with.

Source?

28 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah when I heard that the older boards would support 4.0 was pretty surprised and that it would be impossible to do in the first place. Well it looks like they wont support it like I had figured from the start. 

That was my thoughts, exactly.  I always suspected it would only be on the new boards, due to the distance limitation of PCIe 4.0.

Not a big deal really, I didn't even expect it, it was all maybe anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

Faster storage?

Consumers don't utilize the speed of SATA III drives, much less NVMe.

6 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

Multiple drives in one PCI-E slot?

Already exists with current addon cards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

-Threads Merged-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

"Users today may find a PCIe 4.0 option available in their pre-X570 motherboards. However, users should expect this option to be disabled when final retail BIOSes are released to implement full performance and stability for new 3rd Gen Ryzen processors.

As pre-X570 motherboards were not designed with PCIe 4.0 in mind, their designs may be incapable of running PCIe 4.0 signaling with the requisite stability and performance. To ensure a reliable and consistent experience in the field, PCIe 4.0 will not be an option ultimately available to pre-X570 motherboards. Users may continue with a beta BIOS if they desire, but performance and stability cannot be guaranteed. "

Just wondering if this is still relevant. Pretty sure you can still just use the beta BIOS, its just not going to have official BIOSes endorsed by AMD anymore.

That's expected. No one should be surprised or upset about it. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

Users may continue with a beta BIOS if they desire, but performance and stability cannot be guaranteed

I wonder if someone will figure out a way to extract that portion of the code from the beta BIOS, and patch it into future releases?

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I wonder if someone will figure out a way to extract that portion of the code from the beta BIOS, and patch it into future releases?

A bios modder out there might be able to figure out a way, but just how many people will be desperate enough to do this for a chance at PCIe 4.0 on older mobos and not just get a new one? It isn't a "must have" feature outside some very niche cases.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

A bios modder out there might be able to figure out a way, but just how many people will be desperate enough to do this for a chance at PCIe 4.0 on older mobos and not just get a new one? It isn't a "must have" feature outside some very niche cases.

For me, it's less about the cost of the board and more about the hassle of swapping it out, reinstalling drivers (assuming a fresh install isn't needed), reactivating Windows, etc.  And given that I've got a pretty high end board, I'm confident that it could handle it.  Admittedly though, I don't really foresee a need for it.  It's more that it would be a nice feature to have.