What is my build worth? and Need to buy docking laptop

My rig.

I'd like to price just about everything except the graphics card and then buy a docking laptop and put the 1080 in one of those 'graphics amplifiers'.

Any suggestions what laptop to buy and what kind of docking station?

Its just way too inconvenient not to have a laptop and I don't want two computers.

Thanks!

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

a few questions:

1) what kind of laptop is it?

2) Does it have TB for the eGPU?

3) What do you need in a docking station?

Also sell it on these forums. Dont know how much you would get but it is a start.

32 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

a few questions:

1) what kind of laptop is it?

2) Does it have TB for the eGPU?

3) What do you need in a docking station?

Also sell it on these forums. Dont know how much you would get but it is a start.

I haven't decided what exactly I need in this laptop, just haven't had the time to do a ton of research. But, from prior knowledge, I know that the laptop will need the separate enclosure for the graphics card, power supply, and possibly a few hard drives. (All connected via TB3) AFAIK, all I have to do is connect the laptop to the GPU enclosure with USB-C/Thunderbolt and it'll all work together. I'll probably end up buying one of those 34' curved monitors eventually. It's very possible that I'll end up doing a little bit of gaming, and for sure using it as a work station.

Not sure if any of these laptops or docks would work how I want it to, but just a couple names have been on my mind:

XPS 15 (haven't looked to see if it had thudnerbolt, but looks like a solid laptop)

Razer Blade (with the core)

OR, would it be a better option to just buy the Blade with a good GPU already built in, then just have the docking station so I can have some more monitors and my keyboard and mouse.

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

Well figuring out what you want to do with the laptop when it is not docked is your first step. That will help you determine if you want an internal GPU.

Also remember that USB-C and TB3 are not always the same. USB-C does not mean TB3, but TB3 is a USB-C connection.

11 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Well figuring out what you want to do with the laptop when it is not docked is your first step. That will help you determine if you want an internal GPU.

Also remember that USB-C and TB3 are not always the same. USB-C does not mean TB3, but TB3 is a USB-C connection.

So far, I'm thinking when the laptop isn't docked it just needs to be able to run simple programs like word, watch YouTube, that sort of thing. When it's docked, I might use it for CAD work, maybe light gaming. I'm starting to lean towards getting a laptop with a decent internal GPU, but making sure that it's got a USB-C with Thunderbolt just in case I decide to buy an eGPU in the future.