Huawei phones outside of China to lose Google Play services/Android Updates (Worldwide except China)

Message added by SansVarnic

Please refrain from involving political discussion.

Due to the nature of this topic it is being monitored, if necessary it will be locked.

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's a very fundamental difference though. While yes, both can be strong armed into doing things, US companies have time and time again refused to give up certain information due to privacy issues. It's not the same in China. They'll just give it up, as they have no protections under the law, like US companies do. 

The San Bernardino iPhone backdoor case is probably the most recent well-known example of that. Though in that particular case, they found another company willing to do a backdoor. 

Ironically, said company allegedly got breached and the backdoor was leaked 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

The San Bernardino iPhone backdoor case is probably the most recent well-known example of that. Though in that particular case, they found another company willing to do a backdoor. 

Ironically, said company allegedly got breached and the backdoor was leaked 

That has nothing to do with a company refusing to give up information, that's another company developing something to gain access. They're completely different.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

-= Topic Cleaned =-

This topic is discussion about Huawei not the US Gov.

This topic is being monitored, if necessary it will be locked.

And just fyi.... to correct misinformation;

The US is a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy [never was],  (no need to reply trying to argue against Im just informing)

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:55 AM, bowrilla said:

Google could just ban certain IMEIs, serial numbers or require certification for access. Boom, you're out.

Google already require certification for access to Play Services. Google could at any point revoke the certification or X amount of code changes could require new certification. That's why the situation is so precarious.

<removed>

Edited by SansVarnic

are you FUCKING kidding me

I don't have the money to buy a new phone

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Finally i can afford Mate 20 X. Thanks for the ban. 

Is there a big price drop in your country? I did notice a slight one in mine but nothing major.

Oh damn, pretty much the nuclear option from Google.

Can’t wait to hear more discussion about this on the WAN Show.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Can I ask if Microsoft follow suit and ban Huawei, does that mean the laptops would not get updates etc?

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

That has nothing to do with a company refusing to give up information, that's another company developing something to gain access. They're completely different.

Hmmm, I always thought they were remotely similar. Guess I was mistaken. 

Just to jog my memory, when was the most recent example of a company refusing to give up information when asked for by the government? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Mr. horse said:

Very true. but blocking the IMEI from an app most likely is not illegal in most places. And if the services do not work with a blocked IMEI how would a tablet work with the google play store and what not?

Wouldn't unlocking and installing custom roms void the warranty in the first place? Not that I think most people who do this would care. And wile hacking the boot loader is hard and not a task most could do there are people out there that can do this and once its hacked the codes could likely become leaked. 

Not true on regards unlocking boot-loader and custom roms, oneplus provide guide to root/unlock their device on their website/forums and said it doesn't void any warranty. Why should it? OnePlus tech usually suggest you wipe and format phone and flash stock rom when returning for repair but isn't a requirement.

If you can't read simple instructions that user fault and shouldn't attempt unlocking device. Unlocking and custom have bad rep because people can't follow simple step by step instructions.

Magical Pineapples

On 5/20/2019 at 2:32 AM, Lurick said:

All the next iteration of phones sold outside of China moving forward will also not have support for Gmail and the Google Play Store when those phones come from Huawei. What I'm not sure if is why things within China will get that support but I'm sure more details will come on that part.

They don't. All Google services like gg play, gmail, gg map have already been banned in China for a decade now. Huawei already has homegrown app store, map and email services in China for a long long time now.

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

same question the folks at anandtech are asking, so probably will have to wait and see if MS would release a support advisory statement regarding this ._.

because a good way to keep your citizens safe is to prevent software companies from providing security patches and updates

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Honestly Android is so iterative with their upgrades, people will probably only miss out on gimmicks. 

9 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Is there a big price drop in your country? I did notice a slight one in mine but nothing major.

Not much for new one yet, but i saw some in used market for less than 1/3 of the price. Misinformation and FUD spreading in Facebook works wonder. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

same question the folks at anandtech are asking, so probably will have to wait and see if MS would release a support advisory statement regarding this ._.

The real question is if companies will go the path of AMD and create (essentially) shell companies to be able to liscense to them to then let them manufacture it in the exact same fabs.

AMD did it with EPYC, i dont see why they couldnt do it with Zen 1/+ and 2

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

The real question is if companies will go the path of AMD and create (essentially) shell companies to be able to liscense to them to then let them manufacture it in the exact same fabs.

That may work for now in the current legal framework, but it is no certain bulwark in the event the American government decides to go after that style of outsourcing/exporting.

Time will tell - it's going to be a very interesting half-decade coming up.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, Lurick said:

Ahah because in China most Google apps are already banned anyway ?

Just now, thorhammerz said:

That may work for now in the current legal framework, but it is no certain bulwark in the event the American government decides to go after that style of outsourcing/exporting.

afaik they cant. unless they decide to ban liscense sharing with foreign companies. because the shell company doesnt need to be set up in China. it could be an irish company license producing it in china or in Taiwan. (technically china)

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

afaik they cant. unless they decide to ban liscense sharing with foreign companies.

It is a distinct possibility that the administration may take if it ever feels the need for it. If a company decides to proceed with / sidestep for an agreement against the government's wishes, it's not implausible to freeze the incoming royalties (or impose punitive fines) to reduce all benefits for the company to zero.

Naturally, attempting to annul existing tech sharing agreements won't do jack squat if the intent is to stop the tech from being shared in the first place (the tech itself is already in the other party's hands).

1 minute ago, thorhammerz said:

Naturally, attempting to annul existing tech sharing agreements won't do jack squat if the intent is to stop the tech from being shared in the first place (the tech itself is already in the other party's hands).

if they annul all tech license sharing the consumer tech industry and a lot of serversectors would be hurt bad. 

like say goodbye to x86-64

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if they annul all tech license sharing the consumer tech industry and a lot of serversectors would be hurt bad. 

like say goodbye to x86-64

That may be so, but I was referring towards international licensing deals a la AMD's licensing of it's EPYC designs to its Chinese JV. 

1 minute ago, thorhammerz said:

That is true, but I was referring towards international licensing deals a la AMD's licensing of it's EPYC designs to its Chinese JV. 

im pretty sure that would hurt a lot aswell. 

Doesn’t this also mean Huawei users can’t watch LTT through the YouTube app anymore

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im pretty sure that would hurt a lot aswell. 

Any impediment to (or revocation of) money-making agreements are naturally going to hurt for the parties involved ?.

Just now, jetforce said:

Doesn’t this also mean Huawei users can’t watch LTT through the YouTube app anymore

that's the least of the problems here...

as has been stated: current phones will still have google apps, they will not be removed, new ones will not.

The ones that dont can just get a third party one or go through a browser

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒