If I had the Cash, This is What I Would Build

Alright guys, just like the title says, if I had the cash right now this is what I would build. Keep in mind I am a first time builder, so this would be a rather daunting task, and I might have parts here that some would not recommend over others. Tear it apart as you like, but for under $900, this to me seems like a decent build. Keep in mind, I already have the hyper 212 evo cooler, and the SSD and HDD, so really this build would cost me about $95 plus tax less than whats listed here. This is in the US so its known. In So Cal, so there is a Microcenter in Tustin I could go to, but likely I would be getting all this stuff ordered offline, unless Microcenter was pushing some crazy deal. I can make the drive, its about 90 miles or so. 

Going with Ryzen 5 2600 for the value proposition, especially with the discounted rate that is about $15 under what it usually goes for ($165), mobo because that is what a few tech Youtubers recommend at this price point, plus it allows for some overclocking, 3200 Ghz mem from Corsair because it is on Ryzen's compatible memory list, and I hear Ryzen likes its faster memory. Gtx 1660ti as from all that I have read its the best graphics card new under $300, which will help in a way make my system last longer in the long term for gaming than say an RX 580/90 which are slower. Fully modular PSU because if I am spending the money on a computer the first time builder is going to be struggling with wire management and less cables means less to manage. The Cougar case because I like the look, the price, PSU shield, looks to have decent ventilation, glass side panel and room for upgrades in the future if I would like. 

What do you guys think? What would you change, or add? 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

Is this a speculation or a plan for a computer youd like to build?

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500 + Sennheiser hd598

Dac/Amp: Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I suppose a bit of both. Maybe toss in wishful thinking?

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

My Ride:

I'd save up for a bigger SSD. You don't think you're going to use it for much more than a boot drive until you actually own one, or that was the case with me anyways.

Plus, SSD's are becoming quite affordable especially for the performance that they offer.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

9 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Any particular reason to switch the PSU? And mobo switch? The mobos I am not particularly knowledgeable about. Part of the reason I had chosen the one that I did was to gain the ability for the PSU to be a lasting item used in future more powerful builds. As I already have a hyper 212 evo, the one I put in there was just a place holder.

6 minutes ago, Votivee said:

I'd save up for a bigger SSD. You don't think you're going to use it for much more than a boot drive until you actually own one, or that was the case with me anyways.

Plus, SSD's are becoming quite affordable especially for the performance that they offer.

My mistake if I was not express enough with it, I already have a Kingston 240 GB SSD as a boot drive and quick game storage drive, and a 1TB HDD in my current system that I would move up to my new one. I am pretty effective with my storage of stuff honestly, and dont have a large game library. 240gb for me will be plenty for how I pilfer through my stuff. If I end up being wrong, room for expansion down the line as needed.

Laptop:

My Ride:

Im not sure I would be buying anything Ryzen just this second. After computex you have to assume that we will have ZEN2 out there, that will a) bring down the price of the 2600 (assumed) and b) possibly give you a better option at the same price as the 2600 currently but in a ZEN2 variant 

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Im not sure I would be buying anything Ryzen just this second. After computex you have to assume that we will have ZEN2 out there, that will a) bring down the price of the 2600 (assumed) and b) possibly give you a better option at the same price as the 2600 currently but in a ZEN2 variant 

Yes, I did have this in mind. I was reading that Ryzen Gen 3 might be dropping around July some time? Like I said this is proposed, and a bit of wishful thinking to be honest. But with that new gen coming out it would be sweet to see prices fall, or another better chip take its place. Same with the mobos available. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

3 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

Any particular reason to switch the PSU?

The CX series are solid bronze units. Reason A would be pricing. If you're spending 73 on a unit, grab a BitFenix Gold 650W. 

6 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

The CX series are solid bronze units. Reason A would be pricing. If you're spending 73 on a unit, grab a BitFenix Gold 650W. 

Looking over that portion of the build again, I found an EVGA G2 550W gold for under $70, fully modular. Here is the updated version of what I would be purchasing if I followed through. All purchased through Amazon would be a total of $718 plus taxes.

Laptop:

My Ride:

2 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

Looking over that portion of the build again, I found an EVGA G2 550W gold for under $70, fully modular. Here is the updated version of what I would be purchasing if I followed through. All purchased through Amazon would be a total of $718 plus taxes.

Nice find on the G2! I'd look at a Vega 56 for the same price as a 1660Ti and more powerful!

48 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Nice find on the G2! I'd look at a Vega 56 for the same price as a 1660Ti and more powerful!

Google and amazon are to thank for that lol. What is the overclocking headroom like on the Vega 56? From watching some vids it seems like the 1660ti has a decent amount of head room. Doesn’t the Vega platform run hotter as well? From what I can tell the cheapest I could get one is around 300ish so like 35 more than the 1660ti. At that point I might as well get a 2060 for the future of RT and tensor cores right? But then I just keep climbing in value lol.

I am also more familiar with the Nvidia platform, and my monitor is G-Sync compatible so there isn't much pulling me to the Vega unless I’m missing something. 

Edit: Also looking at the available Vega 56s on Pcpartpicker, they are blower coolers for the most part which are more noisy and less efficient than the fat 3 slot 1660ti they I had chosen. The cheapest 56 has a 1 star review. Could be a fluke but less than inspiring lol. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

2 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

Google and amazon are to thank for that lol. What is the overclocking headroom like on the Vega 56? From watching some vids it seems like the 1660ti has a decent amount of head room. Doesn’t the Vega platform run hotter as well? From what I can tell the cheapest I could get one is around 300ish so like 35 more than the 1660ti. At that point I might as well get a 2060 for the future of RT and tensor cores right? But then I just keep climbing in value lol.

I am also more familiar with the Nvidia platform, and my monitor is G-Sync compatible so there isn't much pulling me to the Vega unless I’m missing something. 

Edit: Also looking at the available Vega 56s on Pcpartpicker, they are blower coolers for the most part which are more noisy and less efficient than the fat 3 slot 1660ti they I had chosen. The cheapest 56 has a 1 star review. Could be a fluke but less than inspiring lol. 

I suppose already owning a G Sync monitor is fair reason to grab an nVidia card. 

As for the 2060, if I we re e banking on RT capability counting for anything, I'd grab at least a 2070. 

It would seem the sexy deals are done on the 56's though at $300 they trade blows with the 2060. That lowest priced model is lower middle end on the blower to be sure. The $299 Sapphire model is solid though. 

Why would running a little hotter drive anyone away from a powerful card for less cash? Grab a decent cooler. Do you not have airflow in your case? :P

21 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

I suppose already owning a G Sync monitor is fair reason to grab an nVidia card. 

As for the 2060, if I we re e banking on RT capability counting for anything, I'd grab at least a 2070. 

It would seem the sexy deals are done on the 56's though at $300 they trade blows with the 2060. That lowest priced model is lower middle end on the blower to be sure. The $299 Sapphire model is solid though. 

Why would running a little hotter drive anyone away from a powerful card for less cash? Grab a decent cooler. Do you not have airflow in your case? :P

Yeah it’s a Freesync monitor but it is G-Sync compatible per Nvidias site. 

Yeah thats a good point about the 2060 vs the 2070. 

Lol I was just a little curious about the heat that’s all. Currently overclocking my GTX 1050 and she’s getting a little louder and I know a blower would be even louder, but the cooler on the 1660ti is beefy. So I’ll be considering the Vega 56 now as well lol

Laptop:

My Ride:

1 hour ago, ProfBrown said:

Yeah it’s a Freesync monitor but it is G-Sync compatible per Nvidias site. 

Yeah thats a good point about the 2060 vs the 2070. 

Lol I was just a little curious about the heat that’s all. Currently overclocking my GTX 1050 and she’s getting a little louder and I know a blower would be even louder, but the cooler on the 1660ti is beefy. So I’ll be considering the Vega 56 now as well lol

I'm not suggesting a blower either way. The sapphire pulse is a very nice 2 fan solution. 

Your “Y tho” meme and your logic are making a solid argument sir...

Laptop:

My Ride:

Well, looking over the build some more, I saw how much the estimated power would be on the system with a Vega 56. Sitting at 359 according to Pcpartpicker, however, that is without a fan for the CPU, and both drives being counted... Not to mention any overclocking I do. So I chose to see what it would look like with a beefier power supply and the Vega 56 and to my surprise... the price comes out to be within 2 bucks of the original 1660ti set up again all from amazon. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

5 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

Well, looking over the build some more, I saw how much the estimated power would be on the system with a Vega 56. Sitting at 359 according to Pcpartpicker, however, that is without a fan for the CPU, and both drives being counted... Not to mention any overclocking I do. So I chose to see what it would look like with a beefier power supply and the Vega 56 and to my surprise... the price comes out to be within 2 bucks of the original 1660ti set up again all from amazon. 

Corsair RMx is around the same price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na