Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NyetARussianSpy

Is performace gains on DDR4 RAM worth getting shelling out compared to DDR3 RAM

I'd just get the DDR4. There is a performance benefit, but the DDR4 will also give you an easier upgrade path in the future.

Also, @XR6 is right.

Posted · Original PosterOP

What are the benefits of getting DDR4 memory over DDR3? I want to consider the purchase of a i5 9600K for a budget system that I am working on but it has a limitation of requiring DDR4 memory, is there any tangible benefit of DDR4 as DDR3 sticks are cheaper and the cost stacks up as there is a requirement of at least 32 GB of RAM.

The 7700K + 32GB DDR3 RAM (8x4) is $472, 9600K + 32 GB DDR4 RAM (8x4) is $587 and the 9600K + 32GB DDR3 RAM (8x4) is $500

I considered a 7700K but it has worse performance compared to the 9600K (https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-9600K/3647vs4031) and cost (from the retailer I am purchasing) doesn't have much of a difference, so it seems like a worse bargain. Can I get away with installing DDR3 RAM on the 9600K? Should I shell out more for the DDR4 sticks? Is there enough of a performance enhancement to justify purchasing the DDR4 sticks?

2 minutes ago, NyetARussianSpy said:

Can I get away with installing DDR3 RAM on the 9600K?

Nope, you can't. The 9600K doesn't support DDR3 RAM.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Build Guide Megathread | GPU Cooler Tier List | How to set up a Linux Gaming PC from start to finish

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

Posted · Best Answer

I'd just get the DDR4. There is a performance benefit, but the DDR4 will also give you an easier upgrade path in the future.

Also, @XR6 is right.

Air Cooling Advocate

Intel chips have not even supported DDR3 since the Haswell (4th gen Core series) IIRC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G@3.9Ghz  Heatsink: AMD Wraith Stealth GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 3200Mhz Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W