Workstation cards for Gaming?

Aliairstinger

Hey everyone, so I've been looking at Newegg for used or refurbished GPUs and I found this Nvidia Tesla Kepler k10 GPU. While I will probably be using it mostly for content creation in DaVinci Resolve, I would like to do gaming on the side. Is it possible?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-0004-001A2?Description=desktop graphics cards&cm_re=desktop_graphics_cards-_-1FT-0004-001A2-_-Product

Id just get a gaming card, it will work fine in resolv, and is much faster than that card.

the k10 isn't a workstation card, its a server card so there is no video output. There is also no fan so you will need fans in the case made for these passive gpus to cool it.

Also its basically a gtx 680, so its pretty slow too.

It is pretty much a GTX 680, so don't get your hopes up for Ultra 1080p, but it should do fine on medium game settings.

On the picture you see that there is the "air" sign, that means that you have to provide cooling to the card yourself, as it is a server card.

Also no video outputs as you can see.

Get a gtx 1060 3gb instead. Much faster and power efficient.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-680/3646vs3148

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Don't get a tesla, that's for servers.

A gtx card would be fine, or a used quadro. For example the quadro p5000 that I have used for workstation stuff works about as well as a gtx 1080 for gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

3 hours ago, Aliairstinger said:

Hey everyone, so I've been looking at Newegg for used or refurbished GPUs and I found this Nvidia Tesla Kepler k10 GPU. While I will probably be using it mostly for content creation in DaVinci Resolve, I would like to do gaming on the side. Is it possible?

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FT-0004-001A2?Description=desktop graphics cards&cm_re=desktop_graphics_cards-_-1FT-0004-001A2-_-Product

The Problem is that with Desktop Windows you need to have a primary GPU and that one needs a monitor.

If you don't have that, you can't use it (and at the time I've had that Problem, I haven't found a solution to switch the primary GPU).

So no, its not possible to game on that card.

Also the Card needs some serious airflow wich no consumer system has.

As for the Performance: That's basically a Geforce GTX 690.

Wich is half useless today as most games don't work with SLI/CF at all.

And GK104 didn't age too well...

So you're better off getting a new RX570/8GiB. That's probably cheaper and way more powerful.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"