Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtmoseley

YouTube Copyright Strikes Again

Posted · Original PosterOP

Minecraft YouTuber Mumbo Jumbo just had 1800 of his videos claimed by Warner Chapelle. In 2 hours.

Guilty until proven innocent is YouTube's policy.

e0c9dd4.jpg

Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Motherboard: Asus Z170-k Processor: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.4GHZ GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Amp! Edition Ram: 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD and a 2TB HDD 7200RPM Seagate Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7

That's gotta suck.

DZ77SL-50K LGA 1155 Motherboard  650W Thermaltake PSU  Intel i5 3450 CPU  16GB DDR3 RAM  Sapphire Nitro RX 460 (4GB) GPU   500GB Hitachi HDD + 240GB Sandisk G25 SSD   Antec VSK 4000E Mid Tower Case (home-made glass window)  CRYORIG M9i Mini CPU Cooler + Kingwin CF-012LBW Intake + default outtake fan

I dont know whats happening to youtubes managment. But they clearly completely lost their fucking minds.

Not long now before we can only see our beloved channel behind a paywall...
(I wouldnt even be bothered that much by it, not that i have the money but everything good seems to die way to soon, so fuck it)

All of BRAWLBRSTMS3's Nintendo music has been taken down due to copyright reasons.

Jake Eyes's channel was completely demonitized and his ability to contact Youtube was removed.

Can't Youtube detect 1800 copyright claims as spam?

The Schnoz

6 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

That's the system working as intended because screw content creators.

No, it's more of a "screw anyone who doesn't pay the record labels every time they think about any form of music and as a result of over-zealous copyright protections so we must all over reach or risk getting slapped with huge fines or having Section 230 protections removed"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Yes youtube's contentID system is not perfect (as it does not account for written permissions and can be tripped by the smallest change) but the **music company** is not systematically claiming these videos, **youtube's contentID** system is (place the blame where it belongs). 

Linus did an excellent job of explaining the difference on an episode of the WAN show (and also pointed out that LTT videos are being contentID claimed by other LTT channels).  It's an automated system enacted due to laws that are incompatible with how the internet works.  In this case, it's working exactly as expected because it is correctly identifying that the music in the video has a copyright -- the issue is that it does not automatically recognize the youtuber's written consent. 

Ideally youtube would allow you to upload a proof of consent along with a copy of the copyrighted material so that contentID doesn't flag permissible content. 

18 hours ago, Lurick said:

No, it's more of a "screw anyone who doesn't pay the record labels every time they think about any form of music and as a result of over-zealous copyright protections so we must all over reach or risk getting slapped with huge fines or having Section 230 protections removed"

If you think that's bad. Japanese recording groups go after MIDI's, Sheet Music and MML (basically midi transcribed to text, so games like Mabinogi and Archeage can play them.)

The thing that really screws creators is how these algorithms works. All it takes is you to make use of a free, public-domain, or CC licenced work repeatedly, for years, and then some music group will make a cover of it and then claim it on youtube, thus claiming everything that sounds like it.

And in case you think that's stupid. I had "cover" bands claim music that they had no rights to, which were midi's played through the MT-32, that yes, were essentially a cover of the same music. Meanwhile the actual copyright holder? Nada.

Nintendo is pretty mean though:

Copyrighted content: THE WORLD OF MOTHER (EXTENDED VERSION) 
Claimed by: Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. 
Blocked countries: Japan

LP Nintendo games at your own risk of being demonetized by Sony.