Help with a stupid question

Go to solution Solved by Kitsune001,
3 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Also I would look at something like Worldgen (not sure if that's the correct name or if it still exists) to pre-render the map, will really help reduce lag as people explore.

I search and is a worldpainter for minecraft that way I can make a custom map with no problem and the server don't need to render the map best idea

Can i use a  HP ProLiant MicroServer gen 7 to host a minecraft server ?

3 minutes ago, Kitsune001 said:

Can i use a  HP ProLiant MicroServer gen 7 to host a minecraft server ?

Yes, why not ?  What graphics card you going to be using ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Yes, why not ?  What graphics card you going to be using ?

You don't need a GPU to host a minecraft server. All the rendering is done client side.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You don't need a GPU to host a minecraft server. All the rendering is done client side.

So you can basically run it with a onboard graphics ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

So you can basically run it with a onboard graphics ?

There are no graphics involved on the server side. Game servers need nothing more than CPU power for the most part (I'm sure there is some exception out there) since nothing is rendered on the server. Data is stored on the server and actions taken on the client side are sent to the server to see what happens next but that's it. The server just tells the client what to asset to call and the client GPU draws it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

A friend of mine have a HP ProLiant Micro server  gen 7 and we want to host a minecraft server . Is the server powerful enough to run with 5-10 players if i make the map to be just a big island in the sky. .

A friend of mine have a HP ProLiant Micro server  gen 7 and we want to host a minecraft server . Is the server powerful enough to run with 5-10 players if i make the map to be just a big island in the sky. . sorry for the bad  english

Minecraft servers with a larger player count benefit from more RAM being allocated, how much RAM does your server have?

I know it has a dual core amd CPU  2.2GHz and 2 or 4 gb ddr3

14 minutes ago, Kitsune001 said:

I know it has a dual core amd CPU  2.2GHz and 2 or 4 gb ddr3

Just FYI this is not much better spec than a Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. (Pi 3 has a 1.4Ghz CPU but it's a modern quad core rather than a 14 year old dual core, and it has 4GB of RAM but it is DDR4 not 3).  

I am not suggesting to run a server on a Raspberry Pi, but merely pointing out that your suggested machine is massively underpowered in todays world, and can be replaced for a few dollars with something of similar spec. 

5 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Just FYI this is not much better spec than a Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. (Pi 3 has a 1.4Ghz CPU but it's a modern quad core rather than a 14 year old dual core, and it has 4GB of RAM but it is DDR4 not 3).  

I am not suggesting to run a server on a Raspberry Pi, but merely pointing out that your suggested machine is massively underpowered in todays world, and can be replaced for a few dollars with something of similar spec. 

That server was free and we want to have some fun . maybe if I run a minecraft version that is same old as the server I can get better performance?

3 minutes ago, Kitsune001 said:

That server was free and we want to have some fun . maybe if I run a minecraft version that is same old as the server I can get better performance?

Unfortunately your CPU is 4 years older than minecraft is! So I doubt that will help. 

It's worth trying to set it up so you know how to do it but really don't spend too much time getting people on there running at the same time, because I seriously doubt it will cope without an upgrade.

If you already have it then just try it, no need to spend more time wondering than it would take to just do it. Minecraft is single core orientated and memory dependent - so it doesn't take much to run a 10 person vanilla server.

@FlappyBoobs - if the CPU was even a Core 2 duo from 2006 at 1.8ghz it would out perform the Pi by leaps and bounds running minecraft. There's more to a processor than its clockrate and age. The first issue is it is ARM architecture (software and O/S compatibility) while the second is the bus speeds are terrible - it can't keep up with the memory it uses. This is why they don't waste the customer's money on USB 3.

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

@FlappyBoobs - if the CPU was even a Core 2 duo from 2006 at 1.8ghz it would out perform the Pi by leaps and bounds running minecraft. There's more to a processor than its clockrate and age. The first issue is it is ARM architecture (software and O/S compatibility) while the second is the bus speeds are terrible - it can't keep up with the memory it uses. This is why they don't waste the customer's money on USB 3.

The CPU is not even as good as a Core2Duo from 2006...That's how bad it is. It's older and slower (It's an AMD Turion 2).

Anyway, like I said, I am not suggesting trying to do this, I was basically just saying "Hey look, this 'cheapest new computer money can buy' almost has the same specs, isn't that funny" Getting into the details of will it or wont it is pointless unless you are testing it, and at the end of the day both will give piss poor experiences. It's like arguing if a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla is the faster car. 

26 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

The CPU is not even as good as a Core2Duo from 2006...That's how bad it is. It's older and slower (It's an AMD Turion 2).

Anyway, like I said, I am not suggesting trying to do this, I was basically just saying "Hey look, this 'cheapest new computer money can buy' almost has the same specs, isn't that funny" Getting into the details of will it or wont it is pointless unless you are testing it, and at the end of the day both will give piss poor experiences. It's like arguing if a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla is the faster car. 

Then what else can we do with that old server?

19 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Actually in the era it was a pretty close comparison between them... but it does validate civic / sentra / corolla - all pretty equal and capable of A-B which is all minecraft is, an A-B game. It will run a vanilla minecraft server without any problems. I would counter the Pi couldn't write to disk fast enough struggling with map data and have a shitty minecraft experience for the players. For a 10 player server even a modern computer as a server wouldn't make much difference to the players. Start adding mods or plugins and then you may run into some differences.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E6305-vs-AMD-Turion-II-P520

2 minutes ago, Kitsune001 said:

Then what else can we do with that old server?

It'll run minecraft as a server just fine, I'd say fire it up.

6 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Actually in the era it was a pretty close comparison between them... but it does validate civic / sentra / corolla - all pretty equal and capable of A-B which is all minecraft is, an A-B game. It will run a vanilla minecraft server without any problems. I would counter the Pi couldn't write to disk fast enough struggling with map data and have a shitty minecraft experience for the players. For a 10 player server even a modern computer as a server wouldn't make much difference to the players. Start adding mods or plugins and then you may run into some differences.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E6305-vs-AMD-Turion-II-P520

I will ad some plugins like ore generator because i want to make a skyblock map with just one big island 

27 minutes ago, Kitsune001 said:

I will ad some plugins like ore generator because i want to make a skyblock map with just one big island 

That should be fine - but chunk loaders and things like logblock may add some stress - will cause your tick rate to drop.

Also I would look at something like Worldgen (not sure if that's the correct name or if it still exists) to pre-render the map, will really help reduce lag as people explore.

46 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

The map will have just 9 or 16 chunks so I hope will be fine