Twitch Streamers Paid up to 50k USD per hour by publishers for new games

Shreyas1

On topic: I have zero problems with this, assuming disclosure is clear. Hell, I'd jump all over being paid $50k an hour to play a game I probably wanted to play anyway. Even if I didn't love the game? Hell yes, I'd still play it. as long as it wasn't garbage.

Being paid to play a game is 100% totally okay, so long as your audience knows that you're getting paid.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/20/2019 at 3:21 PM, Commodus said:

That's true, but at the same time, it's still the case that the game publisher is paying them to play the game.  You can't completely trust their initial reactions, and it may still be difficult to know if they're continuing to play out of enthusiasm or a sense of obligation.

I suppose my real beef is that people now seem to put more trust in what's effectively a paid ad than a review that at least makes a stab at objectivity.

I don't think that people necessarily trust the streamer's opinion, most of them just want to see some gameplay and decide if the game is worth it or not and for that it makes sense that they watch some big streamer, because most of them have years of experience and are top 1% players in every game they play. 

20 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Those Twitch Streamers, they can enjoy the money now, but 50 or 60 years from now, when they look back at their life, I bet they won't be happy about what they have accomplished.

I mean, they made millions doing something they love doing? Doesn't sound so bad to me.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

On 5/20/2019 at 12:32 AM, LinusTech said:

Gotta get into Twitch streaming lol

Linus drops the game... Ba Damm thus

This definitely explains why Apex Legends became such an overnight success. They paid Twitch streamers upon launch of the game (which was no secret).

This just instantly launches the hype on a game.

And yeah, as far as advertising budgets go, $50k is like, spare change in the couch cushions.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:07 PM, TempestCatto said:

Back in my day, childhood dreams ranged from being a pilot or an astronaut, to being a doctor or firefighter. These days kids dream of streaming video games, and it's a likely career now too. I am disappointed - not mad - just upset. 

Funny enough, the military now does classes about doing game streaming and e-sports for members that are interested into going that route.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU