Twitch Streamers Paid up to 50k USD per hour by publishers for new games

Shreyas1
4 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Meh, streamers who can pull 5000-200,000 viewers at a time are essentially celebrities. Getting that kind of success requires an insane amount of work, talent, and luck. It's no surprise to me that they're paid massively. 

I also don't see any problem with it. It's not like the publishers are paying streamers to lie to their audiences or to advertise the game. Playing a game =/= shilling it. 

Alot of those streamers have insane amount of subscribers. I mean like 20,000 and if you figure they get 50% of that 5 dollars sub then that is 50k a month just off of that though I would imagine they get more than a 50% cut. This doesn't even take into account the massive amount of donations alot of them get for various reasons. Being a streamer of that size us extremely lucrative. The only downside I see is that the job security doesn't seem all that great. I have seen streamers go from having 10k+ viewers consistently to being just above 1k in a couple of years. Now with 1k viewers you still make plenty to live off of but the problem becomes the fluctuation in income can be an issue if you are running a budget based on that higher income. 

Not many can sustain 15k+ concurrent viewers, only them big bois can and that's fair imo. I hope they disclose that the stream is sponsored though. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

20 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Not many can sustain 15k+ concurrent viewers, only them big bois can and that's fair imo. I hope they disclose that the stream is sponsored though. 

in USA they're required by the FCC to disclose it and those sponsors are also required by the FCC to tell them to disclose it

I wonder how much LTT gets paid for reviews.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah, pretty insane ammounts indeed. I wish I could stream for a while now. But not with <1Mbps upload. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

LOL I see one journalist is still salty about GamerGate.

They also missed the chance to point out that traditional advertising is fucking annoying as hell and doesn't work on this new generation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnewman/2015/04/28/research-shows-millennials-dont-respond-to-ads/#7128c2715dcb

This is what I will never understand about marketers and the companies who hire them. If I was a CEO of, let's say a game company, I would just post about it on reddit and maybe send early demo copies to some games journalists, and let nature take its course. Gamers are one of the few groups of consumers that go out of their way to find out what new thing is coming out, you don't really need to "market" towards them, so much as just say "hey here's this thing we made" and others will do the marketing for you.

You just have to avoid going the Randy Pitchford route, which is easy. You just have to not blatantly lie to people, then throw tantrums on social media when you get caught lying.

Dear games companies: Save money today, fire your marketing departments.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

14 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I mean, they are payed to play the game, not review it. There's a pretty big difference between the two and most of the time you can tell if a streamer is genuinely enjoying the game by their reactions (and if they keep playing it after a week or so). 

That's true, but at the same time, it's still the case that the game publisher is paying them to play the game.  You can't completely trust their initial reactions, and it may still be difficult to know if they're continuing to play out of enthusiasm or a sense of obligation.

I suppose my real beef is that people now seem to put more trust in what's effectively a paid ad than a review that at least makes a stab at objectivity.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

That's true, but at the same time, it's still the case that the game publisher is paying them to play the game.  You can't completely trust their initial reactions, and it may still be difficult to know if they're continuing to play out of enthusiasm or a sense of obligation.

You can see the Gameplay though and how the game works over a longer period of time than in your average Game review. I honestly don't give much thought to opinions from random streamers or YouTuber because just because they like/hate the game doesn't mean I will have the same opinion. But seeing the Gameplay will help a lot with my decision.

Those Twitch Streamers, they can enjoy the money now, but 50 or 60 years from now, when they look back at their life, I bet they won't be happy about what they have accomplished.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

42 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Those Twitch Streamers, they can enjoy the money now, but 50 or 60 years from now, when they look back at their life, I bet they won't be happy about what they have accomplished.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll totally regret becoming wildly famous millionaires that'll be recognized world wide. Being able to retire before age 30 must also be a total drag. ?

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

3 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll totally regret becoming wildly famous millionaires that'll be recognized world wide. Being able to retire before age 30 must also be a total drag. ?

They may have the money, but are they going to be satisfied with what they have accomplished through out their life.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Back in my day, childhood dreams ranged from being a pilot or an astronaut, to being a doctor or firefighter. These days kids dream of streaming video games, and it's a likely career now too. I am disappointed - not mad - just upset. 

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They may have the money, but are they going to be satisfied with what they have accomplished through out their life.

Yes? They provide entertainment to thousands of people all over the world. Replace "streamer" with "actor" or "musician" and you'll see how silly this opinion is.

22 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Motherfuckers make more than the average family pushing a mediocre game.

When did this turn into a thread about baseball players?

:P

4 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

Yes? They provide entertainment to thousands of people all over the world. Replace "streamer" with "actor" or "musician" and you'll see how silly this opinion is.

But a actor or musician provides entertainment for years to come for all generations through the music and movies they're in, even after they passed away. Will a game streamer provide the same level of entertainment even after they've passed? I highly doubt it.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

When did this turn into a thread about baseball players?

:P

Soccer, American Football and Basketball would all like to have a word with you :^)

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Soccer, American Football and Basketball would all like to have a word with you :^)

Don't forget golf and tennis. 

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

But a actor or musician provides entertainment for years to come for all generations through the music and movies they're in, even after they passed away. Will a game streamer provide the same level of entertainment even after they've passed? I highly doubt it.

i mean a lot of streamers also upload clips to youtube so yes they can provide entertainment after they retire if that is still up

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i mean a lot of streamers also upload clips to youtube so yes they can provide entertainment after they retire if that is still up

Only those who have seen them, may want to look them up. Other than that, they'll just be forgotten.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Music and film don't last forever either. Tell me, how common is it to see people watching movies or listening to music from the 1920's?

Your legacy doesn't have to last until the end of time to be respectable.

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Only those who have seen them, may want to look them up. Other than that, they'll just be forgotten.

you can say that about songs and art also

I can't really blame them for selling out for that kind of $$

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, of course. Why wouldn't they be?

Think about this - if I slog away for 40 years working some boring shit business job where I do sales procurement for a factory - how satisfied will I be with my accomplishments?

A streamer, on the other hand - if one of the big successful ones - could retire in their 30's or 40's, and spend the rest of their life doing... well.. whatever the hell they want. Pursue their passions or hobbies. Start a business. Travel the world - whatever.

1 hour ago, System32.exe said:

Agreed.

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Some actors are like that. But frankly, most young people have never even seen movies from say, the 60's or earlier - let alone ones from the 1920's.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

Agreed - take someone like TotalBiscuit - John Bain. His videos will remain on YouTube, and continue to get views and continue to provide enjoyment, despite him passing almost a year ago (it'll be one year in 4 days).

Those videos will exist as long as YouTube remains a thing. He has a legacy. No, he's not as world renown as, say, Peter Cushing or Sir Christopher Lee - but more people will remember him than some random actor that starred on a mildly successful sitcom for 3 seasons.

Lastly - why does anyone need to remember you after you're gone (beyond your family and friends, that is). Because if that's the measure of accomplishment, then me, you, and everyone else that is "normal" have accomplished jack shit.

And lastly, after a Streamer "retires", well... they can get a normie job if they really want.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)