Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sertinjo

HP Compaq GPU Upgrade

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I've been wanting to build a PC for as cheap as I could. I found used HP Compaq 8200 SFF (i5-2400,8GB RAM) and HP Compaq Pro 6300 MicroTower (i5-3570,8GB RAM) for 100$ each. Now I would like to put something like GTX 950/1050/1050 Ti or RX 560 in it (as long as it doesn't need an external power from PSU). PSU is not upgradeable unless you order special ones made from HP. Has anyone tried putting this GPUs in this PC and what would be the problems? I've read that maximum power that PCIE slots on this mobos can draw is 25/35W but then again I can see alot of this builds made on the internet and they say everything is working smoothly. Every reply is helpful, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have "gaming pc" made out of hp compaq pro 6300 sff with gtx 1050 ti in it. only with 240w psu. I haved this pc over 1 year now and it's working very good still. So put gtx 1050 ti on your hp compaq pro 6300 microtower. It's good little gaming pc :)


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, eemunni said:

I have "gaming pc" made out of hp compaq pro 6300 sff with gtx 1050 ti in it. only with 240w psu. I haved this pc over 1 year now and it's working very good still. So put gtx 1050 ti on your hp compaq pro 6300 microtower. It's good little gaming pc :)

Thanks, I think a microtower version has 320W PSU, guess it cant hurt it. Did you put 1050 Ti low profile card or a normal one fits in?

Edited by Sertinjo
grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sertinjo said:

Did you put 1050 Ti low profile card or a normal one fits in?

Microtower has normal size gpu bracket so you can buy normal gtx 1050 ti on it.

 


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So I guess that HP claims that their PCI slot only draws 25W is fake. What are the 1050 temperatures and did you overclock it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, eemunni said:

I have "gaming pc" made out of hp compaq pro 6300 sff with gtx 1050 ti in it. only with 240w psu.

don't follow this bad advice

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sertinjo said:

What are the 1050 temperatures and did you overclock it?

On my case gpu tempatures go up to 68 celsius and I didn't overclock it.


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, emosun said:

don't follow this bad advice

My setup draws only about 180 watts when I play games like rust and forza horizon 4.


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eemunni said:

My setup draws only about 180 watts when I play games like rust and forza horizon 4.

from a garbage power supply that barely makes 180w.

are you reading the label on the cheap freebee power supply in your hp and assuming it actually makes the wattage it says on the sticker? lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emosun said:

from a garbage power supply that barely makes 180w.

are you reading the label on the cheap freebee power supply in your hp and assuming it actually makes the wattage it says on the sticker? lol

I stress tested my pc yesterday and it took about 220w max And I know that's a little too low headroom but it made it without bsod or shutdown.


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eemunni said:

it made it without bsod or shutdown.

and in your mind the computer would need to LITERALLY SHUT ITSELF OFF before you consider it a problem?

let me guess..... your car would need to be literally rolling end over end down a hill before you considered the bald tires to be a problem right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, emosun said:

from a garbage power supply that barely makes 180w.

are you reading the label on the cheap freebee power supply in your hp and assuming it actually makes the wattage it says on the sticker? lol

From what I read in HP paperwork they use Lite On Platinum PSU, so I guess its a good quality although power might be concern.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emosun said:

and in your mind the computer would need to LITERALLY SHUT ITSELF OFF before you consider it a problem?

Yes of course. I start worrying when it starts shutting down randomly. :D


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eemunni said:

Yes of course. I start worrying when it starts shutting down randomly. :D

ok , then that is why your advice is bad , to answer your question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sertinjo said:

From what I read in HP paperwork they use Lite On Platinum PSU, so I guess its a good quality although power might be concern.

replace it with a real power supply , theres a proper list here , study it and select from there
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, emosun said:

replace it with a real power supply , theres a proper list here , study it and select from there
 

 

First he needs 24pin to 6pin adapter and he need to rewire it too with this 

 


☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×