Intel i5-9400f or Ryzen 5 2600x

Hi!

I'm strugling to choose which processor makes more sense to purchase, for a new budget gaming(mainly) build.

I've found that the Intel i5-9400f and Ryzen 5 2600X have somewhat similar gaming performance, so I am currently looking into purchasing either.

Key value for me is good enough performance for the lowest cost. I know the i5 does not have integrated graphics, but I think maybe that won't be a problem as I will buy a dGPU(?).

I am able to buy them at the current prices(lowest possible in Norway):

- Intel i5-9400f: 199 USD. (1749 NOK)

- Ryzen 5 2600x: 244 USD. 2149 NOK)

(Ryzen 5 2600: 180 USD/1590 NOK)

I have not yet decided all other components, just got stuck on this PCU so far. What I am considering is the following:

- MOBO: Something Z390(or B450 if AMD).

- GPU: GTX 1080 ti(still available here) or something newer similar performance.

- Ram: Soemthing 16gb.

- Storage: SSD regular or m.2 500gb.

- PSU: No clue yet.

- Case: Mid/Mini-tower silent with window.

Because of the difference in price I am leaning towards the i5 processor, but I am wondering if it's a solid choice, considering price/value etc.

Thanks for any thoughts/adivice!

EDIT! I have made a partlist, feel free to comment on it or give suggestions/heads up!

I am buying either monitor for aproximately 570-ish USD, and the GPU I will buy second hand for 512USD (4500 NOK)

2 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

am able to buy them at the current prices:

- Intel i5-9400f: 199 USD.

- Ryzen 5 2600x: 244 USD.

What country?

Clearly not the US

What is the 2600?

What are the rest of the component?

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

What country?

Clearly not the US

What is the 2600?

What are the rest of the component?

The 2600X is a part of AMD's Ryzen 5 PCU lineup - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6mm323/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-36ghz-6-core-processor-yd260xbcafbox

I have not yet decided all other components, just got stuck on this PCU so far. What I am considering is the following:

- MOBO: Something Z390(or B450 if AMD).

- GPU: GTX 1080 ti(still available here) or something newer similar performance.

- Ram: Soemthing 16gb.

- Storage: SSD regular or m.2 500gb.

- PSU: No clue yet.

- Case: Mid/Mini-tower silent with window.

12 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Intel i5-9400f: 199 USD

The 9400f is much cheaper

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/T47v6h/intel-core-i5-9400f-29-ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i59400f

12 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Ryzen 5 2600x

As is the 2600x

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6mm323/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-36ghz-6-core-processor-yd260xbcafbox

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Yes, but not where I live :) The prices I mentioned is litterally the lowest I can get it for right now.

Yes, but not where I live :) The prices I mentioned is litterally the lowest I can get it for right now.

R5 2600 non-x price?

If the 9400f is cheapest, it would be the best choice, unless the upgrade path of the 2600x is appealing. Although, With new Ryzen processors coming out in a matter of weeks, would be worth waiting if you can.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

I would shell out the extra cash for Ryzen.

If you can wait a couple months, the next generation of Ryzen is releasing which will drive down prices on current-gen CPUs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

The 2600X is a part of AMD's Ryzen 5 PCU lineup - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6mm323/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-36ghz-6-core-processor-yd260xbcafbox

Could you do native prices and not converted?

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4714714

R5 2600. Buy from proshop

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4894211

B450 board.

What PSU are you picking?

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

R5 2600 non-x price?

If the 9400f is cheapest, it would be the best choice, unless the upgrade path of the 2600x is appealing. Although, With new Ryzen processors coming out in a matter of weeks, would be worth waiting if you can.

The non t5 2600 non-x is surprisingly cheap actually (had not checked that before) at 180 USD.

Good point about the 3000 series, but it won't be out here befure mid July or later, which is a bit too long a wait for me.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If you can wait a couple months, the next generation of Ryzen is releasing which will drive down prices on current-gen CPUs.

Ok thanks!
I will probably not wait for the 3000 series unfortunately, as they are unlikely to be available here until mid July or later. 

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I agree with this 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Could you do native prices and not converted?

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4714714

R5 2600. Buy from proshop

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4894211

B450 board.

What PSU are you picking?

Sure the i5-9400F is priced at 1749 NOK, while the R5 2600X is priced at 2149 NOK.

Honesly I have no idea what PSU to pick, open for suggestions.

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4719779

Ram

https://www.prisjakt.no/product.php?p=4975284

PSU

Im picking out parts for you atm.

Just give me a heads up of you need anything in DMs.

Eg veit korleis markedet e for øyeblikket

58 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Sure the i5-9400F is priced at 1749 NOK, while the R5 2600X is priced at 2149 NOK.

Corsair RM550x or similar will do you just fine !

if you are going for AMD I suggest getting a 3000-3200mhz kit for RAM (Get a dual stick kit so you can run dual channel - ryzen loves that)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Between the two, the 9400F pulls better overall numbers in gaming loads. 

32 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Between the two, the 9400F pulls better overall numbers in gaming loads. 

But no HT.

would still strongly suggest amd, also for the upgradeable path without the need of buying new mobo’s till end 2020 for CPU’s of AMD @IslandStone

What is your over all budget? Most of the time it is better to put together the best overall build possible for a certain amount of money. Recommendations for specific products make sense if you already have everything else and just one to upgrade one part. 

Do you have a monitor? What resolution and refresh rate do you intent to run? 

What kind of games? More esports or cinematic aaa? 

9 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

But no HT.

Which won't make a difference in games. Already we see that in Assassin's Creed Origins (which makes use of 12 threads), the 9400F still wins even with a deficit in threads. The same goes for Far Cry 5 which uses 8 threads. The HT/SMT will only help productivity loads, which most gaming PCs won't be doing.

9 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

would still strongly suggest amd, also for the upgradeable path without the need of buying new mobo’s till end 2020 for CPU’s of AMD @IslandStone

Your average consumer is going to buy a new CPU, drop it in, and not think about an upgrade for 5 or so years. That would put us at 2024 where you'll want to be buying a new motherboard/CPU/RAM anyway (we'll have DDR5 by then).

10 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

But no HT.

Hoping it will last longer than 2020, but I'd rather go for value and upgrade at a later point.

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

Which won't make a difference in games. Already we see that in Assassin's Creed Origins (which makes use of 12 threads), the 9400F still wins even with a deficit in threads. The same goes for Far Cry 5 which uses 8 threads. The HT/SMT will only help productivity loads, which most gaming PCs won't be doing.

Your average consumer is going to buy a new CPU, drop it in, and not think about an upgrade for 5 or so years. That would put us at 2024 where you'll want to be buying a new motherboard/CPU/RAM anyway (we'll have DDR5 by then).

I am still not certain what makes more sense to be honest, however I have made a pc-partpickerlist for AMD so far. Might be interesting to compare it to an intel based build as well. (The gtx1080 ti, and either monitor will be purchased as a demo/used)

Edited by IslandStone

1 minute ago, IslandStone said:

Here's all the data on the matter you can ask for:

Notice that in quite a few games, they are pretty evenly matched, but when the Intel does pull ahead, it pulls ahead by a wide enough margin to matter.

10 hours ago, Manderis said:

What is your over all budget? Most of the time it is better to put together the best overall build possible for a certain amount of money. Recommendations for specific products make sense if you already have everything else and just one to upgrade one part. 

Do you have a monitor? What resolution and refresh rate do you intent to run? 

What kind of games? More esports or cinematic aaa? 

My budget is around 1000 USD without the monitor, leaving around 500 USD for a monitor. Accessories such as mouse, keyboard etc is not in budget.
Check the list under for monitor. I am able to buy either one for aproximately 500 USD.
I intend to run games at 1440p with 60hz, which I think will be doable with a GTX 1080 ti (?).

As for games I'm planning on cinematic games like The Witcher 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc. Basically AA(A) games at 1440p with 60z with highest possible setting.

The Intel 9400f is very loud. Add the cost of a budget cooler to it's price.

11 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Maybe not today ... but hell I’d rather have HT on my CPU cause I assume that we will start using more and more cores going into the future and hence I still think AMD is the better choice.

@IslandStone get yourself at least a 3000mhz ram kit if you will opt for AMD 

10 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Maybe not today ... but hell I’d rather have HT on my CPU cause I assume that we will start using more and more cores going into the future and hence I still think AMD is the better choice.

@IslandStone get yourself at least a 3000mhz ram kit if you will opt for AMD 

From what I have found it seems that ram-speed have very little effect compared to actual improvement of FPS ingame or similar. I might be wrong or have missed some key point, but I am curious if there is a reason to go with higher speed ram, keeping in mind that it will add to the cost.

Here is nevertheless an alternative I have for a 3000 mhz ram kit.