144hz not working

Andreas Pedersen
Go to solution Solved by Andreas Pedersen,

alright so after nearly 2 hours I finally decided to uninstall all my GPU drivers, I simply downloaded DDU and it removed everything, afterwards I reinstalled Geforce experience and the driver for the graphics card. Now when I set my monitor to 144hz it actually stays there and doesn't revert back to 60hz

This video helped me a lot: 

Hope this helps other people that might get the same issue in the future! 

Hello, today when I started my computer I instantly noticed that my monitor had changed 144hz to 60hz, I tried to go into the advanced screen settings to change it back and it asked me if I wanted to save these settings, so I pressed yes, but nothing happened, it was still 60hz. I then proceeded to open Nvidia control panel, and sure enough that too had been set to 60hz, I then tried to change that to 144hz and it asked me if I wanted to save these settings, I again pressed yes but this time it also went back to 60hz even though I just put it to 144hz. I've had this problem before but I dont remember how I solved it. Hope someone can help me. 

12 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Hello, today when I started my computer I instantly noticed that my monitor had changed 144hz to 60hz, I tried to go into the advanced screen settings to change it back and it asked me if I wanted to save these settings, so I pressed yes, but nothing happened, it was still 60hz. I then proceeded to open Nvidia control panel, and sure enough that too had been set to 60hz, I then tried to change that to 144hz and it asked me if I wanted to save these settings, I again pressed yes but this time it also went back to 60hz even though I just put it to 144hz. I've had this problem before but I dont remember how I solved it. Hope someone can help me. 

are you using DP or HDMI?

was it running at 144hz before ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

try set it to 120hz instead, if 120hz sticks ur limited by the hdmi cable

some monitors will go max 120hz using hdmi 1.4

Im using a displayport cable, and even if I set it to 120hz it just reverts back to 60hz when I press apply

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

are you using DP or HDMI?

was it running at 144hz before ?

Yes im using DP, and yesterday it was running 144hz.

Just now, Andreas Pedersen said:

Im using a displayport cable, and even if I set it to 120hz it just reverts back to 60hz.

What monitor are you using?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Asus 24 led vg248qe

Well im not entirely sure what the issue could be.

are you running the latest drivers ? Also what is your build by the way 

Well im not entirely sure what the issue could be.

are you running the latest drivers ? Also what is your build by the way 

Not entirely sure how I update the monitor drivers.

My build is:

i7 6700

Gtx 1080

12GB DDR4

The motherboard is custom made I think, since its a prebuild mini pc (Asus G20CB). It came with a gtx 970 but I upgraded to the 1080 not too long ago, im pretty sure I also had the issue with the HZ on the 970 once but I fixed it I just dont remember how.

1 minute ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Not entirely sure how I update the monitor drivers.

My build is:

i7 6700

Gtx 1080

12GB DDR4

The motherboard is custom made I think, since its a prebuild mini pc (Asus G20CB). It came with a gtx 970 but I upgraded to the 1080 not too long ago, im pretty sure I also had the issue with the HZ on the 970 once but I fixed it I just dont remember how.

Oh meant GPU drivers ? but other than that I’m not sure how to help you mate sorry

Oh meant GPU drivers ? but other than that I’m not sure how to help you mate sorry

ah alright no my gpu drivers are up to date, ill keep searching for a fix, if I find one ill come back here to post it so if anyone else has the same issue the solution I may find might work for them. 

alright so after nearly 2 hours I finally decided to uninstall all my GPU drivers, I simply downloaded DDU and it removed everything, afterwards I reinstalled Geforce experience and the driver for the graphics card. Now when I set my monitor to 144hz it actually stays there and doesn't revert back to 60hz

This video helped me a lot: 

Hope this helps other people that might get the same issue in the future!