Booting through "SATA to USB 3.0 Converter"

Dreadnought

So my laptop only has a 500GB HDD, I just bought an SSD (250GB 860 Evo) for $30 on a sale. My plan is to set the SSD as the primary boot drive. Is it possible to set the SSD as the primary boot drive through a converter? Will the speed just as the same as if I connected it straight to my laptop's SATA port? It's just a standard $10 SATA to USB 3.0 coverter. 

You better off using the hdd if you do that. It will be very slow using USB as a boot drive. 

If your laptop has a DVD drive you can buy a sata caddy that utilize the DVD room so you can use both of your drive. 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

2 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

You better off using the hdd if you do that. It will be very slow using USB as a boot drive. 

If your laptop has a DVD drive you can buy a sata caddy that utilize the DVD room so you can use both of your drive. 

Yes fortunately my laptop has a DVD drive, will I be able to utilize the full speed of 860 Evo if I use the sata caddy?

On 5/19/2019 at 3:09 AM, Dreadnought said:

Yes fortunately my laptop has a DVD drive, will I be able to utilize the full speed of 860 Evo if I use the sata caddy?

If you have an adapter for the DVD connector, yes. But the Laptop needs to support that configuration. It's possible that the laptop might not boot from a second drive without tinkering with settings in the BIOS.

You can make the USB3 drive bootable, but it will only operate at USB2.0 speeds until it gets into Windows and the USB3.0 driver is loaded. I don't really recommend either option. If you want to permanently use a drive with a machine, remove the existing drive and replace it. Like I'd install a new drive, install Windows on it, and then plug the old drive into the USB3 chassis.