So I'm about to bite the bullet on new drives, But i need help

Alrit so I'm thinking about finally biting the bullet and getting 4 drives of ACTUAL useful storage capacity meaning 6-10tbs each. I've only had four 2tb drives so far and because Im not super committed yet I haven't' set them up in a raid I've literally just used them in parallel so that I KNOW my data won't get killed if a few die.

Anyways I've started to run out of space and I need more drives. So my thought was to get some more drives. But even with that solution I feel like when I get them I'm just gonna do the same thing. Set them in parallel and continue the same mess i've been doing.

Is there any easy raid u guys use I think its raid 5 or 6 that can lose 2 drives. Either way I need to figure that out because I should really set this up so I can just add to it instead of hoarding my data in a messy sloppy manner.

But I've run into some issues:

- Right now I have a 4 bay holder for my drives. Meaning I'm taking up 4 sata ports on my Personal PC which is NOT FUN. So I was thinking since I'm getting more drives now Maybe I should get a cheap storage rack plugged into a mini pc to manage my shit.

But when I looked into them they are ALL in the 300-400 range and they are SERVERS so there STILL LOUD for no reason there consumer drives I don't need massive cooling. So do u guys know of any quite options that are out there for cheaper. But also allow for upgradability and expandability in the future??

Also:

- While the size is great especially for the price, the fact that I could lose one drive and be out 160-190 bucks is HORRIFYING to say the least. So while its nice to ya have 4 of them the fact that I could LOSE 10tbs of data all at once plus the cost of the drive instantly is a little daunting and its holding me back from purchasing the drives.

- Another issue is that While I could use the 6tb drives aka the cheapest ones I won't really be thinking of the future me who wants to keep adding on with the same high 8-10tb drives.

But if I used 6tb ones now I could get 5 drives instead of the normal 4 with the 8-10tb drives but for the same price. I feel this is pretty worth it because I get one more drive as a safety net. But then I scold myself because I know I will add to this pool down the road.

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

23 minutes ago, TheReal_ist said:

Alrit so I'm thinking about finally biting the bullet and getting 4 drives of ACTUAL useful storage capacity meaning 6-10tbs each. I've only had four 2tb drives so far and because Im not super committed yet I haven't' set them up in a raid I've literally just used them in parallel so that I KNOW my data won't get killed if a few die.

Anyways I've started to run out of space and I need more drives. So my thought was to get some more drives. But even with that solution I feel like when I get them I'm just gonna do the same thing. Set them in parallel and continue the same mess i've been doing.

Is there any easy raid u guys use I think its raid 5 or 6 that can lose 2 drives. Either way I need to figure that out because I should really set this up so I can just add to it instead of hoarding my data in a messy sloppy manner.

- Right now I have a 4 bay holder for my drives. Meaning I'm taking up 4 sata ports on my Personal PC which is NOT FUN. So I was thinking since I'm getting more drives now Maybe I should get a cheap storage rack plugged into a mini pc to manage my shit.

But when I looked into them they are ALL in the 300-400 range and they are SERVERS so there STILL LOUD for no reason there consumer drives I don't need massive cooling. So do u guys know of any quite options that are out there for cheaper. But also allow for upgradability and expandability in the future??

Also:

- While the size is great especially for the price, the fact that I could lose one drive and be out 160-190 bucks is HORRIFYING to say the least. So while its nice to ya have 4 of them the fact that I could LOSE 10tbs of data all at once plus the cost of the drive instantly is a little daunting and its holding me back from purchasing the drives.

- Another issue is that While I could use the 6tb drives aka the cheapest ones I won't really be thinking of the future me who wants to keep adding on with the same high 8-10tb drives.

But if I used 6tb ones now I could get 5 drives instead of the normal 4 with the 8-10tb drives but for the same price. I feel this is pretty worth it because I get one more drive as a safety net. But then I scold myself because I know I will add to this pool down the road.

Which HD's  you want to get.  Company name and brand and all that jazz, so we can help you better.  Also if your getting external make sure it has power button and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Could I suggest archive drives to you? Awful writing speed but okay read speed. Depends on your usage.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

If you want to be able to add drives, and add mixed drives then maybe UnRAID might be the way to go for you. 

Your largest drive needs to be a parity drive, but all your other drives can be any size you want up to the size of the parity drive.

You can always swap out your parity drive later for a larger one if you need to add larger disks, and then make your old parity drive a data drive. 

It has a nice Web GUI. 

If you dont mind using all the same size of disk, then you could go a hardware RAID card - theres plenty of cheap LSI cards like the 9211-8i, and all the rebranded cards from Dell/IBM/Intel. You can use the MegaRaid Utility to add or remove drives. If you want to swap out drives for larger ones later (rather than adding more disks) then you need to replace and rebuild them all one at a time before you can expand the logical volume. 

You can use whatever hardware you like for these really, such as something second hand off eBay. 

You just need to make sure that you have enough hard drive slots in the case (or you could get a seperate case), and that you have enough SATA ports if its UnRAID (software), or a PCI-e slot for an extra SAS/SATA card. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

RAID is a solution to prevent downtime but it sounds like you're using it to make sure you don't lose data if a disk dies. It's not about losing data, it's about losing time. In a business downtime = $$. Raid is all about availability. You should never think "I don't want to lose data if my array dies" because you should have a backup(s).

Keeping that in mind, for home storage anything you chose is fine so long as you have a backup solution in place. There's a LOT of recommendations on backup solutions, especially the classic 3-2-1. 

You might consider adding a SAS card. One SAS slot can break out to 4 SATA drives. 

On 5/19/2019 at 12:06 AM, TheReal_ist said:

LSI SAS 9211-8i: $65

Mini SAS to 4x SATA cable: $15

4x SATA Power splitter cable: $8

If you can trade away a PCI slot you can get up to 8 SATA ports in exchange using these. 

This is definitely a risk with higher density drives. You'll want to think about having backups if your data is important to you. 

RAID can save you from one or two failures, but you'll still be looking at UREs while your array is in a degraded state and you run the risk of the whole thing failing if you can't get a new drive installed before you go over your failure threshold. 

How much do you want to spend and in what interval can you spend it? 

How much data are you bringing in and are you going at a rate where you can afford your next expansion before you are full? 

Can you offload data to cold storage (such blurays or tape) or do you need your entire collection to be hot all the time?

This is the life of a storage administrator. You need to plan all of this out in advance. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4