Slow and high ping connection

Peiguy
Ok, so I've recently built my first PC and I bought a cheap USB Wifi adapter as I don't have an ethernet port in my room, it looks something like this, it's not that exact model but it looks like that. I tried playing CS:GO and a few other games but I was having problems due to the Wifi adapter not having strong connectivity or just not being good in the first place, so I was thinking of getting something better but I don't know what to get 

I had this in mind, if I got this I could plug it into the wall and since it has an ethernet port on the bottom I could connect it from the extender to my PC

The other thing I had in mind was just getting something like this where I put it in a PCIe slot and get the benefit of Wifi and Bluetooth to use with my headphones

Thank you in advance!

Go with the PCIe adapter, its still not as good as ethernet, but it will work the best since wifi extenders dont work well if not connected directly to the router

No wonder your connection is so bad, your adapter is using a Realtek chipset (RTL8811AU), which only supports up to 150Mbts on Wireless-N, and up to 433Mbts (though in reality not more than 200) on Wireless-AC).

Realtek's drivers though are horrible, and unless you have a very powerful PC (yes, they put load on the CPU), you will probably not get anywhere close it's rated speed.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/EDUP_EP-AC1607

My advice, buy a Fenvi FV-102 M.2 to PCIe adapter and either a Intel Wireless-AC 9260 or a Intel WiFi 6 AX200 (more expensive, supports WiFi 6/Wireless-AX, not needed at this stage).

The Intel Wireless-AC 9260 supports 2x2 MultiMIMO, as opposed to the RTL8811AU's 1x1 SIMO, which allows it to support up to 300Mbt/s on Wireless-N, and up to 1.73Gbt/s on Wireless-AC (using 160Mhz bands).

The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 is pretty much the same, except that it supports up to 600Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-AX, and up to 2.4Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AX.

Both have Bluetooth 5, if you care about it.

As for the extender, you're better of with either a Xiaomi Mi 3G or a D-Team NeWifi D2 (also known as NeWifi3), they all use Mediatek, however the Mi 3G and the NeWifi D2 have a better one, plus they cover a wider area, with higher speeds (Netgear EX2700 - 300Mbts on Wireless N, Mi 3G/NeWifi D2 - 300Mbts on Wireless N and 866Mbts on Wireless AC).

Just make sure you first flash OpenWrt on the NeWifi, or X-Wrt (for now) on the Mi 3G.

Edit: In any case you should get one of the routers I had posted, since they support up to 1 Gbt/s ethernet (probably not applicable to internet speeds, but has less chance of being a bottleneck), as opposed to the 100Mbt/s on the Netgear EX2700.

4 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

No wonder your connection is so bad, your adapter is using a Realtek chipset (RTL8811AU), which only supports up to 150Mbts on Wireless-N, and up to 433Mbts (though in reality not more than 200) on Wireless-AC).

Realtek's drivers though are horrible, and unless you have a very powerful PC (yes, they put load on the CPU), you will probably not get anywhere close it's rated speed.

My advice, buy a Fenvi FV-102 M.2 to PCIe adapter and either a Intel Wireless-AC 9260 or a Intel WiFi 6 AX200 (more expensive, supports WiFi 6/Wireless-AX, not needed at this stage).

The Intel Wireless-AC 9260 supports 2x2 MultiMIMO, as opposed to the RTL8811AU's 1x1 SIMO, which allows it to support up to 300Mbt/s on Wireless-N, and up to 1.73Gbt/s on Wireless-AC (using 160Mhz bands).

The Intel WiFi 6 AX200 is pretty much the same, except that it supports up to 600Mbt/s on 2.4Ghz Wireless-AX, and up to 2.4Gbt/s on 5Ghz Wireless-AX.

As for the extender, you're better of with either a Xiaomi Mi 3G or a D-Team NeWifi D2 (also known as NeWifi3), they all use Mediatek, however the Mi 3G and the NeWifi D2 have a better one, plus they cover a wider area, with higher speeds (Netgear EX2700 - 300Mbts on Wireless N, Mi 3G/NeWifi D2 - 300Mbts on Wireless N and 866Mbts on Wireless AC).

Just make sure you first flash OpenWrt on the NeWifi, or X-Wrt (for now) on the Mi 3G.

I'm not getting anywhere those speeds, I'm getting under 2MB/s 

10 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

And you lost me about 1/3 of the way through...

9 hours ago, Peiguy said:

And you lost me about 1/3 of the way through...

Sorry.

Long story short, replace your WiFi adapter as soon as possible, since drivers for Realtek WiFi are so horrible it's not worth even looking at products that utilize it (such as your WiFi adapter).

If you do this, I cannot recommend enough the Fenvi+Intel combo I had listed.

And regardless of whether you go WiFi or ethernet, I'd recommend you to get either the Xiaomi Mi 3G or the D-Team NeWifi D2 (probably the NeWifi D2, to make things less complicated) for the network range extender, and immediately replacing the operating system on whichever of the two you buy, since this way you will get much better performance.

I just saw the PCIe adapter you had posted, and there is next to no difference between it and the Fenvi+Intel option, aside from the Fenvi+Intel option giving you more bang for the buck.

Update: Yeah, the Asus option gives you next to no benefit over the Fenvi+Intel combo (the adapter itself is practically the same, and the card is older (8260 vs. 9260).

Update2: Never mind, it appears that Fenvi's Amazon store is not as complete as their AliExpress store, so the Intel 9260 (and the 8260 as well, for that matter), is nowhere to be found, so go for the Asus option, since it's price is low enough to be worth it, and has very good antannaes to boot.

By the way, what network speed are you paying for?

8 hours ago, moriel5 said:

Sorry.

Long story short, replace your WiFi adapter as soon as possible, since drivers for Realtek WiFi are so horrible it's not worth even looking at products that utilize it (such as your WiFi adapter).

And regardless of whether you go WiFi or ethernet, I'd recommend you to get either the Xiaomi Mi 3G or the D-Team NeWifi D2 (probably the NeWifi D2, to make things less complicated) for the network range extender, and immediately replacing the operating system on whichever of the two you buy, since this way you will get much better performance.

I just saw the PCIe adapter you had posted, and there is next to no difference between it and the Fenvi+Intel option, aside from the Fenvi+Intel option giving you more bang for the buck.

Update: Yeah, the Asus option gives you next to no benefit over the Fenvi+Intel combo (the adapter itself is practically the same, and the card is older (8260 vs. 9260).

Update2: Never mind, it appears that Fenvi's Amazon store is not as complete as their AliExpress store, so the Intel 9260 (and the 8260 as well, for that matter), is nowhere to be found, so go for the Asus option, since it's price is low enough to be worth it, and has very good antannaes to boot.

I'm using AT&T U-verse

52 minutes ago, Peiguy said:

I'm using AT&T U-verse

I'm really sorry, and I had to look that up (I've heard of AT&T, due to part of my childhood being in the US, but not of the U-Verse branding), but I had meant what speed are you paying for, as in, what package do you pay for?

For example, here we are paying for a 40Mbt/s download, 3Mbt/s upload plan.

3 hours ago, moriel5 said:

I'm really sorry, and I had to look that up (I've heard of AT&T, due to part of my childhood being in the US, but not of the U-Verse branding), but I had meant what speed are you paying for, as in, what package do you pay for?

For example, here we are paying for a 40Mbt/s download, 3Mbt/s upload plan.

I don't know as I'm not the one paying for the wifi

14 hours ago, moriel5 said:

Sorry.

It's also recently started acting up such as disconnecting at random times and sometimes just not wanting to connect at all

17 hours ago, moriel5 said:

Sorry.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/wireless-network-card/#xcx=0

Is there anything here that is better than the Asus adapter?

On 5/18/2019 at 8:15 PM, Peiguy said:
Ok, so I've recently built my first PC and I bought a cheap USB Wifi adapter as I don't have an ethernet port in my room, it looks something like this, it's not that exact model but it looks like that. I tried playing CS:GO and a few other games but I was having problems due to the Wifi adapter not having strong connectivity or just not being good in the first place, so I was thinking of getting something better but I don't know what to get 

I had this in mind, if I got this I could plug it into the wall and since it has an ethernet port on the bottom I could connect it from the extender to my PC

The other thing I had in mind was just getting something like this where I put it in a PCIe slot and get the benefit of Wifi and Bluetooth to use with my headphones

Thank you in advance!

Why doe2019-05-21.thumb.png.3ae9551697fa53ec7e31b4af20a4506d.pngs the screenshot show 11 Mbps but steam says I'm getting under 2?

On 5/22/2019 at 6:55 AM, Peiguy said:

Why doe2019-05-21.thumb.png.3ae9551697fa53ec7e31b4af20a4506d.pngs the screenshot show 11 Mbps but steam says I'm getting under 2?

Sorry it took so long, I had next to no time the past week.

I am still living with my parents (I unfortunately still have a lot of work to do to be able to raise my own family), and they are paying for the plan here, you will need to ask whoever is paying for the plan.

Your disconnections are probably due to lackluster reception, a better adapter with stronger antennaes, especially together with a good extender/router working as an extender, will help you there.

As for adapters, stick with the Asus AC55BT from Amazon, I have not seen anything on the PCPartPicker list that goes up against it in both quality and price at the same time.

And about the network speed, the task manager shows in realtime, not average. Also, does the game show in Megabits or Megabytes (bit = 1/8 byte).