Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_VOIDNEXUS_

How to boot to m.2 ssd

Posted · Original PosterOP

How can I boot from a m.2 ssd that is connected to my motherboard by a pcie to m.2 adapter? I can’t see it on boot settings 

P.S. just say if you want context

I don't know if this will help you but, I found this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/post-20482537

Sounds straight forward enough to me. The BIOS isn't seeing your PCI-E drive because it lack the required EFI boot sector.

Put your BIOS in UEFI mode, CSM Disabled.

Boot onto a Windows bootable usb drive(formatted as GPT/UEFI no CSM, if you use RUFUS, it should default to the right settings) and it should see the m.2 through its own drivers.

If your PC is much older and doesn't have UEFI .... I don't know what to tell you.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

16 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If your PC is much older and doesn't have UEFI .... I don't know what to tell you.

@CUDAcores89 said something earlier today about how some Samsung NVMe SSDs will work on boards without UEFI, but that will require a small degree of BIOS hacking.

35 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I don't know if this will help you but, I found this
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/post-20482537

Sounds straight forward enough to me. The BIOS isn't seeing your PCI-E drive because it lack the required EFI boot sector.

Put your BIOS in UEFI mode, CSM Disabled.

Boot onto a Windows bootable usb drive(formatted as GPT/UEFI no CSM, if you use RUFUS, it should default to the right settings) and it should see the m.2 through its own drivers.

I’m sorry but I have no idea of what you mean by “Put your BIOS in UEFI mode... drivers” 

Is this what you mean? (picture)

E2E30349-FA33-4213-9497-C3909C7FED17.jpeg

What mobo, what M.2 SSD?

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

4 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

How can I boot from a m.2 ssd that is connected to my motherboard by a pcie to m.2 adapter? I can’t see it on boot settings 

P.S. just say if you want context

Maybe you don't have support for NVMe in the BIOS of your Motherboard??

What Motherboard is it?

and what SSD Is it?

Is it an nvme or a SATA one?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Maybe you don't have support for NVMe in the BIOS of your Motherboard??

What Motherboard is it?

and what SSD Is it?

Is it an nvme or a SATA one?

MSI b85-g43 gaming

Intel 660p  512gb

nvme

1 minute ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

MSI b85-g43 gaming

Intel 660p  512gb

nvme

Installed the latest BIOS?

Is it regognized in Windows?

20 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Installed the latest BIOS?

Is it regognized in Windows?

Yes

If you mean that if it's working, it is i initialized it, created a volume, and transferred files before formatting my whole pc

Yeah, exactly.

In that case you just don't have a new enough motherboard that supports NVMe SSDs.

You can still use it. And from what i've seen the Intel P660 wasn't that great either and got beaten in some situations by better SATA Drives...

So you might want to stick with that.

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, exactly.

In that case you just don't have a new enough motherboard that supports NVMe SSDs.

You can still use it. And from what i've seen the Intel P660 wasn't that great either and got beaten in some situations by better SATA Drives...

So you might want to stick with that.

what is i get a m.2 to sata adapter will the bios recognize it?

1 hour ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

It won't work - m.2 to SATA adapter is a passive connector - meaning it will only work with SATA SSD in m.2 form factor (like Samsung 860 EVO). Intel p660 is an NVME disk and will not work with the m.2 to SATA adapter.

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVMP PCIe 3.2x8, custom water cooling.

2 hours ago, _VOIDNEXUS_ said:

What is if you put Diesel in your gasoline car?

That are two completely different things.

So you have two options:

a) get a BOard with NVMe Support, wich means getting rid of your Haswell and move to a modern Plattform

b) deal with it and use it for your Games and boot from a S-ATA Drive.

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

@CUDAcores89 said something earlier today about how some Samsung NVMe SSDs will work on boards without UEFI, but that will require a small degree of BIOS hacking.

In order for any motherboard to boot any kind of medium, there must be either one of two things present:

1. A BIOS that has the proper programming to recgonize certian types of storage mediums are physically present and that these storage mediums can in fact be booted from using a stored optionROM from the bios itself.

2. A storage device with an option ROM programmed into the boot device itself to prompt the bios to boot from it.

In theory, all UEFI compatible motherboards are capable of booting from NVME drives. Its just that many BIOSes on early UEFI boards do not contain the necessary option ROM programmed into the bios to boot from it. Thus, older motherboards one can inject the NVME optionROM into the bios itself and force an update to enable NVME booting. Discussion on the winraid forum about how to pull this off:

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

The second choice is to puchase an early NVME/AHCI SSD (M.2 or otherwise) that contains an addROM in the device itself for booting. This is how OCZs old revodrive SSDs worked at the time. NVME at the time didn't exist, so the device itself (the revodrive) had an optionROM in it to prompt the bios to boot from it.

This is similar to how when you plug in a RAID card into a computer and the RAID card boots up first and displays the RAID array, then you see the BIOS splash screen. The RAID card just told the computers bios "hi, im a bootable medium, please boot from me". Versus something like a hard drive which does nothing of the sort and instead is relying on the BIOS to detect its own existance through the BIOSes optionROM. The hard drive basically says to the bios "hi, You cant see me unless you actively try to find me, otherwise I will be invisible". And this is how NVME SSDs work as well. If the BIOS does not know to look for an NVME drive and the NVME drive has no optionROM built in itself, no booting can occur.  

I have a lenovo thinkstation D30 that has a UEFI BIOS but no NVME optionROM built in so in theory NVME drives can be used as a storage device, but I cannot boot from then. EXCEPT...

I have a samsung 950 pro SSD. This NVME SSD is o yl if the very few early SSDs that had its own optionROM built into the SSD itself, meaning even if my BIOS has no optionROM, the SSD does, hence why it works.

For OPs situation, didable everything CSM/BIOS/Legacy related except UEFI then install windows to the SSD. After windows is installed, set the boot priority in the machines BIOS as "windows boot manager" first then everything else later. If that doesnt work, you will need to tollow the winraid guide and do some bios hacking, but i would start by updating your machines bios first.

If you can get a refund do it, then get a SATA m.2 like the 860 Evo. 

Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M