Help with MDT

Hello All. I'm currently starting to use MDT for deploying Windows 10, Server 2012R2/2016 over the network. The MDT server is a 2012 R2 Datacenter. I'd like to get some help on how I can get the PCs to join the domain and also deploy applications such as Office 365, Chrome and the other basic software. I'm currently using WDS but I need MDT to deploy and install software as well.

Thank you

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Have you installed the ADK? 

And setup your deployment share in the Deployment Workbench? 

Since you  have WDS already, you can import the Operating systems from your WDS server in Deployment Workbench. 

You can then create your new applications in Deployment Workbench for deploying your application (e.g Chrome).

You then create a task under task sequences to deploy the application (or driver)

To join the domain, you need to edit the Ruleset on the deployment share properties. 

Right click Deployment Share > Properties > Rules 

add something like:

; JOIN DOMAIN
JoinDomain=contoso.local
DomainAdmin=svc_MDT
DomainAdminDomain=contoso.local
DomainAdminPassword=passwordofaccount
MachineObjectOU=OU=Computers,OU=Desktops,DC=contoso,DC=local
; END DOMAIN JOIN

You can see more detail here from someone: http://renshollanders.nl/2015/04/mdt-put-the-domain-join-where-it-belongs/

You'll probably also want to go into Windows PE, and disable the 'create iso' option, so that you can create the wim images that you can then import your boot image back into WDS to handle your netboot deployment via PXE. Just run an update on the deployment share to generate the images. 

Also dont forget to setup your permissions on the deploy share 

Edit: You could also do the domain join stuff in your unattended.xml after you import it back into WDS

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

For your apps you just need the install files for the application and you need to know an unattended/silent install switch. 

For chrome you will want to get Chrome for Enterprise and install it with msiexec /q /l GoogleChrome.msi in your MDT task sequence. 

For O365 you want to get the Office Deployment Tool, create an xml file from config.office.com, and then add setup.exe /configure mysettings.xml as part of the task sequence. 

For these apps you are also going to want to set up group policy so you can manage updates.

https://cloud.google.com/chrome-enterprise/browser/download/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

Couple things you need to understand. Windows Deployment Services is the actual image installer that does all of the heavy lifting. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is a set of tools that you will use to create your reference image that WDS will use to install your new computer. 

For actually using the MDT, you really really really really need to read the official documentation. It is a complex tool that does a lot of things for you. Make sure you know what it's doing under the hood or it will just blow up your WDS. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/deploy-windows-10-with-the-microsoft-deployment-toolkit 

And I don't wanna be a meanie but you really have to learn how to find this stuff yourself if you want to make it in the IT field. Plus, you are a paying o365 subscriber (I assume) and are entitled to support directly from Microsoft in regards to that. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

4 hours ago, jake9000 said:

For your apps you just need the install files for the application and you need to know an unattended/silent install switch. 

For chrome you will want to get Chrome for Enterprise and install it with msiexec /q /l GoogleChrome.msi in your MDT task sequence. 

For O365 you want to get the Office Deployment Tool, create an xml file from config.office.com, and then add setup.exe /configure mysettings.xml as part of the task sequence. 

For these apps you are also going to want to set up group policy so you can manage updates.

https://cloud.google.com/chrome-enterprise/browser/download/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

Couple things you need to understand. Windows Deployment Services is the actual image installer that does all of the heavy lifting. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is a set of tools that you will use to create your reference image that WDS will use to install your new computer. 

For actually using the MDT, you really really really really need to read the official documentation. It is a complex tool that does a lot of things for you. Make sure you know what it's doing under the hood or it will just blow up your WDS. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/deploy-windows-10-with-the-microsoft-deployment-toolkit 

And I don't wanna be a meanie but you really have to learn how to find this stuff yourself if you want to make it in the IT field. Plus, you are a paying o365 subscriber (I assume) and are entitled to support directly from Microsoft in regards to that. 

Thanks for the help.

But I am already in the IT field. I do know myself around Windows server, how to setup domain. I manage my own home network. It's just MDT is the first thing I've ever tried to use. I need to learn it because I need we use it at work, my boss told me to go and learn how to use it. Since I've only started a month and a half ago, I no admin rights to access the servers. So I'm learning using my home lab. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.