Is the anti-static wristband really necessary?

mikeybal

Want to build my PC tomorrow but I don't have an anti-static wristband. I'd rather not but if it's really better to have one I could wait until the week and borrow from school

My mobo is Asrock B450M Pro4 if that affects anything.

Its not a necessity. Just ground yourself before you start building.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

In short no its not really that necessary,  JayzTwoCents has a pretty good video on his channel about the subject.

Its not necessary. You can discharge yourself by touching something that is grounded before you start working.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I've personally never used one and have worked on the insides of more different computers than my age in years, nothing has ever broken while working on it (knocks on wood lol) - you should be fine. Grounding yourself before working is not a bad idea, though. Also beware of carpet and other fabric stuff, so you don't create new static energy. Have fun! :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

No, I just built a PC and I didn't need one. As long as you don't shimmy over to the family room carpet with socks on to show your family your new motherboard, you'll be fine. If you wanna be sure, occasionally touch something metal to release static.

For my own stuff, I don't tend to bother. For stuff belonging to other people, wrist strap goes on.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, mikeybal said:

Want to build my PC tomorrow but I don't have an anti-static wristband. I'd rather not but if it's really better to have one I could wait until the week and borrow from school

My mobo is Asrock B450M Pro4 if that affects anything.

It is normally fine. Consumer hardware these days are pretty well protected (especially quality parts from trusted custom build brands). They are not full proof, of course, but they aren't as fragile as they are used to be. People wear a wrist trap just to fully protect themselves when building a someone else system as it would suck that you have to pay out of your pocket for some bad luck, and just rule out any potential, no yet visible to you, broken things due to discharged that your consumer may found.

If your wall plugs are grounded, you can simply ground yourself by connecting the power supply power cable and touch the power supply. The casing of the power supply is grounded (assuming you don't buy no name brands garbage PSU which are probably a fire hazard as well). If not, the easiest way to ground yourself is to wash your hands, assuming your water piper are in copper, and/or touch the copper pipe under the sink also works.

Oh and don't build a PC on carpet and don't rub your feet on carpet.

No, so long as you don't do anything silly after grounding yourself before starting to build or build on top of certain types static generating materials(certain cloths or plastic types, the latter not really common as a working surface). It used to be a bigger issue but modern consumer electronics are all built mildly resistant to ESD now to the point where it's not needed under normal circumstances.