buying a new router,in need of recommendations.

ShayOh

Hi, so we got a cheap old Netgear router we've had for about 3 years now. since it doesnt support 5Ghz im looking to buy a new one,

so 5GHZ is a must, my desktop is wired to the router, we only got 200mbps internet speed though my Motherboard does support up to 1gb. our apartment is fairly small and narrow so range isnt an issue even with the current router at least not in 2.4ghz. We do have between 9-11 devices connected at all times (phones tablets, 4 computers) so that needs to be take under consideration.

budget:$75. i know its not much but that what i can afford. im thinking about buying a used one or a couple of years old model.

Thanks

Ill concur with @Olaf6541 thats about as good as your going to get for that price. The router is decently fast and has great range. While I dont own it, I did set one up a while ago. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Olaf6541 said:

Plenty of choice, maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/

I have the ac1200 one, it has good wifi range, a lot of options such as guest network (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) and even built-in vpn capabilities.

Thank you. i was actually about to make the purchase but then i remembered that we're with spectrum here in the US and i will need a router modem combo i think. i know there's a way to disable wifi and leave the modem as modem but then again im not sure if its the modem that is causing the issues or the router so better off just buying a combo device.

i forgot to mention we are having connection issue which is part of the reason we want to upgrade,and when that happens my desktop which is wired to the modem/router, is having issue also so it might be modem issue.

2 minutes ago, ShayOh said:

Thank you. i was actually about to make the purchase but then i remembered that we're with spectrum here in the US and i will need a router modem combo i think. i know there's a way to disable wifi and leave the modem as modem but then again im not sure if its the modem that is causing the issues or the router so better off just buying a combo device.

Combo devices are shit. Just saying. And your NOT going to find something for that price. If I recall correctly Spectrum's Dumb asses use Puma 6 chip modems. If thats correct then thats your problem most likely. The Puma 6 is known to have issues. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Combo devices are shit. Just saying. And your NOT going to find something for that price. If I recall correctly Spectrum's Dumb asses use Puma 6 chip modems. If thats correct then thats your problem most likely. The Puma 6 is known to have issues. 

we actually bought our own modem/router combo that was listed is compatible with Spectrum, question is though, what is our options? as said my budget is $75, so i'll have to fit two devices in that budge, also i dont know anything about modems really.

28 minutes ago, ShayOh said:

dont know anything about modems really.

Modern cable modems use Channel bonding to get faster speeds. The more channels = the more speed aka the faster internet service you can subscribe. I dont have Charter, I have Comcast. So I cant speak for what Charter allows on their network. I can tell you that Comcast wont provision an 8x4 Docsis 3.0 cable modem above 200 Mbps. I would assume Charter would be about the same. That means if your on a lower speed tier than an 8x4 modem might be ok, its basically the lowest I would go. I can also say that you want to stay away from 32 channel Docsis 3.0 modems. All of them use the Puma 6 chip. 

You could try to find a non Puma 6 combo unit. You might find one, but I cant say how good. Either way your not going to get much for your budget. But keep in mind, if you get a separate cable modem, you can always cheap out on a router now and buy a better one when you can afford it. Ive been using an SB6141 for over 5 years, and its still chugging along, Ive also replaced the router twice. Ill likely only need to replace my modem when Comcast demands it or Im upgraded to service over 200 Mbps. Thats the other part about using customer owned stuff, when the cable co wants you to upgrade, you have to upgrade. 

43 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Modern cable modems use Channel bonding to get faster speeds. The more channels = the more speed aka the faster internet service you can subscribe. I dont have Charter, I have Comcast. So I cant speak for what Charter allows on their network. I can tell you that Comcast wont provision an 8x4 Docsis 3.0 cable modem above 200 Mbps. I would assume Charter would be about the same. That means if your on a lower speed tier than an 8x4 modem might be ok, its basically the lowest I would go. I can also say that you want to stay away from 32 channel Docsis 3.0 modems. All of them use the Puma 6 chip. 

You could try to find a non Puma 6 combo unit. You might find one, but I cant say how good. Either way your not going to get much for your budget. But keep in mind, if you get a separate cable modem, you can always cheap out on a router now and buy a better one when you can afford it. Ive been using an SB6141 for over 5 years, and its still chugging along, Ive also replaced the router twice. Ill likely only need to replace my modem when Comcast demands it or Im upgraded to service over 200 Mbps. Thats the other part about using customer owned stuff, when the cable co wants you to upgrade, you have to upgrade. 

Im on Spectrum, according to their website we got up to 950MBPS here, i got right now our own router modem combo the Netgear N450, as said the main reason is to get a 5G wifi to connect our Oculus Go to, also since we're having connection issues. i did schedule a technician to come anyway, and that is something i've asked the "technical support" of spectrum over the phone, if there is a way to know what is the cause of the issue, since when we have issue and internet drops, both on my desktop that is wired and all devices that are on wi-fi the connection to the router is fine, i can login to the router panel on wifi even when the internet is down so the connection to the router is fine, so seems like the modem is the issue. also when the issue happens the internet isnt slowing down, its completely drops and then when back its back to 100+mbps on speed tests.