Hard drive slowing down inexplicably.

Captain3xtreme

Edited because I'm pretty sure the random slowdown is from some sort of feature on wd red and green drives called intellipower, the problem is that the drive is only supposed to throttle down when it is not being used very much, so why does it decide to throttle down when I am trying to write a large amount of sequential data to it? It drops from 130 MBps read/write to about 80 MBps. That's a 40% slowdown.

2500k @ 4.8, R9 290x, 256GB Vertex 4, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Brown, Logitech G602 Mouse, Kingwin Lazer 1000w Platinum PSU, Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 8GB @1866, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, Xonar U7, Sennheiser 598, Switch 810, Coolermaster Hyper 212 with 1x Noctua nf-f12

Not really come across this before but you could always download crystaldiskinfo and see if there are any problems, might be worth a shot.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Sounds like a fault. I've got a green drive just for storage and it does throttle down when It's inactive but the read/write speeds are exactly what I would expect them to. You should contact western digital or move your data to another HDD and try to take it back to the store/send it back. 

One thing I would check out is your advanced power saving options. Check you haven't got some strange 'super power saving' options on or something. You may have it set so it even limits HDD to save power, it sounds weird but it is possible, my brother's laptop was limiting it's own DL/UL speed because he had it in power saving mode. Stupid, but it happens. This is me making the assumption that you have windows. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

If you are watching the windows speed measurement, it is very unreliable... It starts off really fast and then tanks. Try a benchmarking software and then reply back.